News:

Everyone who calls themselves "wolf-something" or "something-wolf" almost inevitably turns out to be an irredeemable shitneck.

Main Menu

Open Bar: We hacked the DNC and all we got are these lousy emails

Started by Eater of Clowns, August 11, 2016, 12:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeky

Cainad (dec.)

For the record, arguing from the position of "You're chasing away allies," "You're being really rude and hard to engage with," etc is called switchtracking and it's a cheap conversational ploy to shift the argument away from a challenging subject. It's literally the same shit as "tone policing" on tumblr.

If the discussion is ABOUT marketing and strategies to spread the word, then maybe arguing over how to be diplomatic would be relevant. Otherwise, toughen the fuck up: this is PD.com

MithridatesXXIII

Toughen up is the exact attitude of those who don't respect when someone is triggered or that they could be. Not to say that you're otherwise wrong.

Don Coyote

Quote from: MithridatesXXIII on November 12, 2016, 06:05:52 PM
Toughen up is the exact attitude of those who don't respect when someone is triggered or that they could be. Not to say that you're otherwise wrong.

Wear a hat

MithridatesXXIII

Quote from: Don Coyote on November 12, 2016, 07:02:46 PM

Wear a hat

Not part of the club

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on November 12, 2016, 06:01:35 PM
For the record, arguing from the position of "You're chasing away allies," "You're being really rude and hard to engage with," etc is called switchtracking and it's a cheap conversational ploy to shift the argument away from a challenging subject. It's literally the same shit as "tone policing" on tumblr.

If the discussion is ABOUT marketing and strategies to spread the word, then maybe arguing over how to be diplomatic would be relevant. Otherwise, toughen the fuck up: this is PD.com

Thanks for this.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Except in this case, he's telling the people who don't want to have racism and sexism challenged to toughen up.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

MithridatesXXIII

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 12, 2016, 07:05:49 PM

Except in this case, he's telling the people who don't want to have racism and sexism challenged to toughen up.

I see that. They see a challenge to values, character, personhood, and identity.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: MithridatesXXIII on November 12, 2016, 07:09:49 PM

I see that. They see a challenge to values, character, personhood, and identity.

Yep. And they will continue to see this every time someone challenges sexism and racism.

MithridatesXXIII

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 12, 2016, 07:23:55 PM
Quote from: MithridatesXXIII on November 12, 2016, 07:09:49 PM

Yep. And they will continue to see this every time someone challenges sexism and racism.

It's a challenge to not set off the knee jerk reaction. I mentioned elsewhere that a cousin of mine is being seduced by alt-right bullshit. Pulling him away and shining a light on the foulness is not quick work. I've found people delighting in being part of something "larger". That's a huge part of the glue when logic and reason are not their friends.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

As a woman of color, all I know is that I am getting pretty burned out on being told that it's my moral imperative to reach out to people who demonstrably despise me.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I figure that if white guys want to take on the job of reaching out with kindness to Trump supporters, and try to convince them to see women and people of color as full-fledged human beings, that is GREAT. Truly great. But please stop asking the people they are all about shitting on to do so. Since I'm not even a person to them I wouldn't be very effective at convincing them anyway, and the psychological damage of constantly exposing myself to people like that isn't worth it.

MithridatesXXIII

I'm sorry about your hardship. For the record, I'm not white. As far as reaching out to people goes, I keep it limited to people close to me. I don't know if this would help you, but the people I try to reach out to fall into the category of Racially Insensitive But Not Racist. People who have no malice, but ignorance or who are not quite as empathetic to or in tune with contemporary attitudes about race.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: MithridatesXXIII on November 12, 2016, 07:52:24 PM
I'm sorry about your hardship. For the record, I'm not white. As far as reaching out to people goes, I keep it limited to people close to me. I don't know if this would help you, but the people I try to reach out to fall into the category of Racially Insensitive But Not Racist. People who have no malice, but ignorance or who are not quite as empathetic to or in tune with contemporary attitudes about race.

I don't have a whole lot of racially insensitive family, for reasons that are probably pretty obvious. Probably also unsurprising: I don't feel like making friends with racially insensitive people or casual misogynists, either.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm not sure what "hardship" you're referring to, unless you just mean the nerve-grinding pain in the ass of being a female minority in a world where I can't avoid being surrounded by assholes all the time.