News:

I WILL KILL A MOTHERFUCKER.

Main Menu

Protestors Are Assholes

Started by Hagtard Celine Dion Mustard, November 16, 2016, 10:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hagtard Celine Dion Mustard

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on November 18, 2016, 04:52:29 PM
Let me be more specific. I'm complaining about the fact that you mindlessly agree with each other on matters of opinion.

I think you've said it better than I could. I hate to use the term hivemind, but I think it's appropriate. Rather than examining and being critical of the arguments presented by people who think as we do, enough of us are taking solace in the fact that our predispositions are aligned.
"I never thought of shaving my beard and freeing the slaves, but I thought of shaving the slaves and freeing my beard!"
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

Quote from: LMNO on November 18, 2016, 04:54:53 PM
The fact that people are agreeing on this should underscore its import, if anything.

It underscores that people who identify as Discordian are probably largely left-wing radicals, and that ideology is stronger than reason. I'm not saying that's a bad thing necessarily, but it's obviously a challenge if you identify as a Discordian and do not consider yourself part of the left or the right.
"I never thought of shaving my beard and freeing the slaves, but I thought of shaving the slaves and freeing my beard!"
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

Salty

Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 18, 2016, 09:15:50 PM
Let me be more specific. I'm complaining about the fact that you mindlessly agree with each other on matters of opinion.

I think you've said it better than I could. I hate to use the term hivemind, but I think it's appropriate. Rather than examining and being critical of the arguments presented by people who think as we do, enough of us are taking solace in the fact that our predispositions are aligned.

1. Yeah, you and PDS will probably get along REAL well.

2. Hivemind makes me start to think you all about the BINGO game and you're just playing along.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Quote from: Pergamos on November 18, 2016, 08:28:58 PM
The behavior in 2008 and 2012 was not ok because what they were protesting did not merit the behavior

Thank you for returning to the actual discussion I was attempting to have!

So - I'm assuming that you identify as left/Democrat/liberal. The people who currently identify as right/Republican/conservative are saying the exact same thing about the most recent wave of protests. They honestly believe that the 2016 protestors are unjustified.

I believe that they're all unjustified. Sort of.

As I said before, protestors play an important role. Maybe I should go so far as to say that they play an extremely important role, but that doesn't change the fact that it takes a bunch of assholes to fill that role.

When I say that "protestors are assholes", I'm not only saying that "liberal protestors are assholes". I hope that's clear. What I'm saying is that we either rationalize or demonize their behavior depending on which side we're on and which side is doing it.

People are mistaking this for a false-equivalency argument. Obviously people on the left are going to think that the beliefs of the right are invalid, and people on the right are going to think that the beliefs of the left are invalid. My argument says nothing about the validity of beliefs. It doesn't need to.

The fact of the matter is that left and right exist. The fact that the right now has majority in every major branch of government should make that obvious. You might think that they don't have valid beliefs, but they're clearly a force to be reckoned with.

Nobody is going to reckon with that force by being blind to the fact that most of the people who support them are basically reasonable. If you approach reasonable people with an unreasonable attitude, they're going to tell you to fuck-off.

Is any of this making sense? Does anyone understand where I'm going with it?
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

Quote from: Vivat Alty on November 18, 2016, 09:21:10 PM

2. Hivemind makes me start to think you all about the BINGO game and you're just playing along.

Welcome to my ignore list, friend.
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

Salty

Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 18, 2016, 09:28:36 PM
Quote from: Vivat Alty on November 18, 2016, 09:21:10 PM

Welcome to my ignore list, friend.

A single tear rolls down my cheek.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Pergamos

Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 18, 2016, 09:28:11 PM
Quote from: Pergamos on November 18, 2016, 08:28:58 PM
The behavior in 2008 and 2012 was not ok because what they were protesting did not merit the behavior

Thank you for returning to the actual discussion I was attempting to have!

So - I'm assuming that you identify as left/Democrat/liberal. The people who currently identify as right/Republican/conservative are saying the exact same thing about the most recent wave of protests. They honestly believe that the 2016 protestors are unjustified.

I believe that they're all unjustified. Sort of.

As I said before, protestors play an important role. Maybe I should go so far as to say that they play an extremely important role, but that doesn't change the fact that it takes a bunch of assholes to fill that role.

When I say that "protestors are assholes", I'm not only saying that "liberal protestors are assholes". I hope that's clear. What I'm saying is that we either rationalize or demonize their behavior depending on which side we're on and which side is doing it.

People are mistaking this for a false-equivalency argument. Obviously people on the left are going to think that the beliefs of the right are invalid, and people on the right are going to think that the beliefs of the left are invalid. My argument says nothing about the validity of beliefs. It doesn't need to.

The fact of the matter is that left and right exist. The fact that the right now has majority in every major branch of government should make that obvious. You might think that they don't have valid beliefs, but they're clearly a force to be reckoned with.

Nobody is going to reckon with that force by being blind to the fact that most of the people who support them are basically reasonable. If you approach reasonable people with an unreasonable attitude, they're going to tell you to fuck-off.

Is any of this making sense? Does anyone understand where I'm going with it?

Obstructing traffic because a black man is president makes you an asshole.  Obstructing traffic because a white supremacist is does not.  Get the point yet?  It's not just about the actions, it's about the reasons for the actions.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Quote from: Pergamos on November 18, 2016, 09:36:52 PM
Obstructing traffic because a black man is president makes you an asshole.  Obstructing traffic because a white supremacist is does not.  Get the point yet?  It's not just about the actions, it's about the reasons for the actions.

Thank you for helping to prove my point, but this has nothing to do with the legitimacy of one side vs the legitimacy of the other. Did I do a poor job of explaining that?
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

Junkenstein

You're doing a poor job of being a human fucking being in general.

The monkey is strong in this one.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Quote from: Junkenstein on November 18, 2016, 09:45:15 PM

Aaaaaaand welcome to my ignore list. You earned it after all.
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 18, 2016, 09:48:09 PM

You're gonna go far, kid.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

hate to use the term hivemind, but I think it's appropriate.

*gets the checklist out*
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Junkenstein

Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 18, 2016, 09:48:09 PM

I join Vivat, weeping softly in the corner over my loss.

My life has been ripped of meaning. All my accomplishments now count for naught. I am left with a hollow ache that can never be fixed.

And you're still an asshole.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein