News:

In my heart I knew that rotten testicles and inflamed penises were on the way.

Main Menu

Protestors Are Assholes

Started by Hagtard Celine Dion Mustard, November 16, 2016, 10:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkenstein

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Pergamos

Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 18, 2016, 09:43:21 PM
Quote from: Pergamos on November 18, 2016, 09:36:52 PM
Obstructing traffic because a black man is president makes you an asshole.  Obstructing traffic because a white supremacist is does not.  Get the point yet?  It's not just about the actions, it's about the reasons for the actions.

Thank you for helping to prove my point, but this has nothing to do with the legitimacy of one side vs the legitimacy of the other. Did I do a poor job of explaining that?

Apparently.  So you do not think motives matter?  So if I shove you I am an asshole, regardless of if I shoved you to move you in front of or out of the way of a speeding car?

Hagtard Celine Dion Mustard

Quote from: Pergamos on November 18, 2016, 10:02:33 PM
So you do not think motives matter?  So if I shove you I am an asshole, regardless of if I shoved you to move you in front of or out of the way of a speeding car?

If you believed that you were shoving me out of the way of a moving car when, in fact, I was in no danger, then yes - you'd be an asshole; though I might forgive you for doing what you genuinely thought was right.

If you can't extend that kind of forgiveness across ideological boundaries, you're buying into the illusion that we don't live in a state of duality with actual, real people on both sides. Either that, or you're seeing that duality as good and evil, which I think is also a mistake since plenty of people on both sides do just that. It's dehumanizing and it's hypocritical.
"I never thought of shaving my beard and freeing the slaves, but I thought of shaving the slaves and freeing my beard!"
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 18, 2016, 10:13:53 PM
So you do not think motives matter?  So if I shove you I am an asshole, regardless of if I shoved you to move you in front of or out of the way of a speeding car?

If you believed that you were shoving me out of the way of a moving car when, in fact, I was in no danger, then yes - you'd be an asshole; though I might forgive you for doing what you genuinely thought was right.

If you can't extend that kind of forgiveness across ideological boundaries, you're buying into the illusion that we don't live in a state of duality. Either that, or you're seeing that duality as good and evil, which I think is also a mistake since plenty of people on both sides do just that.

So what you're saying is, "evil people don't actually exist"?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 18, 2016, 10:15:28 PM

I'm saying what I said, not what you're saying I said.
"I never thought of shaving my beard and freeing the slaves, but I thought of shaving the slaves and freeing my beard!"
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 18, 2016, 10:17:04 PM

Well, so much for being civil and asking for clarification.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Junkenstein

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 18, 2016, 10:17:52 PM

What did we learn today uncle roger?
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 18, 2016, 10:17:52 PM

You weren't asking for clarification, you were asking me to confirm whether or not the words you were putting in my mouth were true. Your question assumed a distortion and oversimplification of my point. You want genuine answers? Ask a genuine question.
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

Pergamos

If you can't extend that kind of forgiveness across ideological boundaries, you're buying into the illusion that we don't live in a state of duality with actual, real people on both sides. Either that, or you're seeing that duality as good and evil, which I think is also a mistake since plenty of people on both sides do just that. It's dehumanizing and it's hypocritical.

So you are asserting that the people protesting Trump are wrong about the threat that he poses.  You keep insisting that you are not debating that though.

LMNO

Quick question: when Obama was elected, what civil rights did the Republican voter think would be taken away under his administration?

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Pergamos on November 18, 2016, 10:23:30 PM

So you are asserting that the people protesting Trump are wrong about the threat that he poses.  You keep insisting that you are not debating that though.

No, I'm making assertions about the nature of belief.
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

Quote from: LMNO on November 18, 2016, 10:24:03 PM
Quick question: when Obama was elected, what civil rights did the Republican voter think would be taken away under his administration?

I don't think anyone in this thread - including myself - could provide you with an adequate answer to that question. Regardless, you have two choices:

• Accept that no matter how much you might disagree with their concerns, they honestly believed in what they were afraid of
  • Assume that they were all racist, stupid assholes who would say anything to avoid admitting it
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

Junkenstein

Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 18, 2016, 10:31:59 PM

I don't think anyone in this thread - including myself - could provide you with an adequate answer to that question. Regardless, you have two choices:

• Accept that no matter how much you might disagree with their concerns, they honestly believed in what they were afraid of
  • Assume that they were all racist, stupid assholes who would say anything to avoid admitting it

Impressively stupid. Do continue.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Junkenstein on November 18, 2016, 10:34:02 PM
Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 18, 2016, 10:31:59 PM

Impressively stupid. Do continue.

THAT we can be sure of. Troll on a roll.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl