Author Topic: Reality Safari: Gurdjieff  (Read 66156 times)

picoli

• Known
  • SPAG
    • View Profile
Re: Reality Safari: Gurdjieff
« Reply #240 on: September 12, 2020, 10:27:01 pm »
I love the discussion under this post! Thanks for filling my Saturday evening  :oops:

I hope you don't mind, that my capacity of intellectual output are exhausted. Nevertheless I want to share an experience with you. A couple of weeks ago, I swapped my desk chair for a laaaaarge exercise ball. I'm sorry, if this is inappropriate but I'm still shook. My flow is back and everytime I'm sitting on the ball I am SO creative and full of thoughts and it's just a normal exercise ball.  :eek: I don't want to recommend the brand because there's probably a lot of good ones but I can link an article which helped me a lot: https://www.einrichtungsradar.de/sitzball-test/.

Just wanted to share that with you.  :lol:

Fujikoma

• Potato God
  • Outlandish
  • Pheremone Octopi of Spiked Intrusion
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 13, 2020, 05:51:57 am »
I, too, bounce on balls while contemplating life's big questions.

LMNO

• Lubricated and Rabid Lungfish of Impending Sexdoom™
  • Deserved It
  • Internet Fuckweasel of Haunted Pork Dimensions.
    • View Profile
    • Earfatigue Productions: When it has to sound like you give a shit.
« Reply #242 on: September 14, 2020, 01:09:25 pm »
Congratulations on acing your Turing test.

Cramulus

• Deserved It
    • View Profile
    • Cramul.us
« Reply #243 on: October 08, 2020, 01:53:06 pm »
The Foundation has been slowly getting up to speed with hosting online events. I've been to a few readings, meditation sessions, group discussions. It really isn't the same as doing it in person, but I guess it's what we're stuck with.

One little moment of insight I received recently -- I'm never sure if typing these things out will be useful to anybody else; I am not sure these experiences can really be communicated via text... but this thread is kind of a journal, so I'll share a little morsel of something that affected me.

At the end of a guided sensing session,
we are feeling completely aligned and centered and intentional
all the bands of consciousness are touching each other,
there is a point of contact between conscious and subconscious
it feels like a moment of being in the Real World

The guide says
"The world is looking out"

had a brief moment, just a flash, when I felt like the entire cosmos, if it was forced through a Cramulus-shaped hole... that's my conscious experience

felt like
the human is the small version of the Cosmos

or the whole cosmos
is the big version
of the cell

another week, we're talking about working with negative emotions

Gurdjieff used to basically troll people -- urge them to stay in contact with the stimulus that was causing this kneejerk reaction in them. At the priory, there used to be this super annoying guy, nobody wanted to be around him, everybody hated him... one day, he was like "That's it, I'm outta here. Mr. Gurdjieff, I'm leaving." Gurdjieff drove him to the train station. Everybody breathed a sigh of relief.

2 hours later, Gurdjieff's car came back to the priory... and both of them got out. Turns out Gurdjieff told the guy he'd pay him a salary to continue studying at the priory.

He told the others, "You need him." This annoying dude provided a force that they had to struggle with. Because learning to Live Good is not just about floating away on some euphoria cloud of mindful bliss. No, you need mindfulness when you're annoyed. When you're in the kneejerk reaction. When you are leaning away. That's when you can develop something.

G would say "you need a strong angel on one shoulder... and a strong devil on the other."

So, this week, we're working on staying with a negative emotion - seeing it, staying with it. Instead of just trying to get away from it, put it in a box, make it go away -- sit with it for a second. Observe it. Don't analyse, just observe.

There's a resistance to this. It's hard. There's something that doesn't want to be seen. And usually, when you see it, it goes away.

One woman phrased it, "If you see the dragon... if you're lucky, he'll give you a wink before he vanishes."

I've got this Discord server which is doing a weekly book club. It's also a discordian cabal. We're reading In Search of the Miraculous. This week, we're up to chapter 4. If you're interested in meeting and discussing this stuff (as I think it can really only be digested properly by groups), shoot me a PM.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 02:16:48 pm by Cramulus »

Fujikoma

• Potato God
  • Outlandish
  • Pheremone Octopi of Spiked Intrusion
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 08, 2020, 05:29:06 pm »
This thread, the Billy thread, and the useful insights and witty banter the members here have are part of what keeps me coming back here despite the fact that a lot of people wish I wouldn't. Always a thought-provoking read that encourages me to shift my perspective. Thanks for continuing to provide perspective, Cramulus.

But yeah, me continuing to check here, I've been trying to just observe, I'm not a good participant but that doesn't mean I can't find the content interesting. So yeah, time for me to go back to lurking.