News:

One of our core values:  "THEY REFILLED MY RITALIN AND BY THE WAY I WANNA EAT YOUR BEAR HEAD."

Main Menu

ITT: Confess your WOO!

Started by Chelagoras The Boulder, June 26, 2017, 05:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaotic neutral observer

My belief is that if you want to learn a practical martial art, you should study the stuff they teach to the modern military.

Quote from: altered on January 26, 2021, 07:08:05 PM
I would rather recommend A: trying to find a shooting club and B: trying to learn krav maga.

Yup.  (Krav Maga was developed for the Israeli military, so it qualifies.)
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Galerson on January 26, 2021, 06:24:10 PM
I'm learning about judo which has its own philosophy. Jū yoku gō o seisueir means softness controls hardness, yoku zen'yō means maximum efficiency, minimum effort, and jita kyōei means mutual welfare and benefit. I'm just a beginner, a white belt, so I really don't understand very much yet. But things are so violent now I want to learn self-defense.

As I understand it, judo's origin is jiu jitsu.  More specifically, it's a wimped-down version so that civilians could practice a martial art without hurting themselves.

I wouldn't think it would be a good place to start if self-defense is your object.

Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Galerson

It's hard learning martial arts right now because of COVID-19. Most of the schools are closed. But there's judo classes online, and I'm getting help from someone I'm exposed to anyway.

altered

It is. Judo is about half of it, and for a long time (until the 1970s, I believe?) it was considered a school of judo. But the focus is entirely different: judo is defensive and meant to disarm attackers armed with knives at best. It's a grappling art with no striking at all. Attempting to survive a real world life-or-death situation involving a gun with pure judo is a lot less of a gamble than with krav maga, in the sense that krav maga gives you a chance and judo will ensure you get shot because you cannot redirect the kinetic energy of bullets with your body without injury.

(After you disarm someone, if they are alone and you have backup at hand or coming soon, judo can be useful to restrain them -- but that's a different scenario entirely.)

Honestly, even krav maga isn't great in the current environment, but I have been informed that it would be a bad look to say leftists should be as armed as the insurgents gearing up to murder them. With that restriction, krav maga at least gives you some chance of survival, and gives you a /very/ good chance of breaking something the other guy would rather you hadn't broken.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Cain

Do research however. After some PR campaigns, a lot of places bill themselves as Krav Maga but are not.

If it's not full contact, full resistance training, don't do it. Anything that offers full contact and full resistance will be better for teaching you to take and throw a punch than nothing at all, no matter what it's labelled.

altered

Quote from: Cain on January 27, 2021, 01:08:28 AM
Do research however. After some PR campaigns, a lot of places bill themselves as Krav Maga but are not.

If it's not full contact, full resistance training, don't do it. Anything that offers full contact and full resistance will be better for teaching you to take and throw a punch than nothing at all, no matter what it's labelled.

Facts.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Galerson

Thanks for the advice. When COVID-19 doesn't have everything shut down, I might look into that. I guess knowing the basics of judo will help.

But really, doesn't Krav Maga sound like Russian supporters of Donald Trump?  :lulz:

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: Cain on January 27, 2021, 01:08:28 AM

Yeah Krav maga classes tend to range from, "WE ARE PREPARING FOR FULL GUERRILLA COMBAT" to "Hey, did you guys know you can kick a dude in the balls? Wild."
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

ReverendJesus

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on January 30, 2021, 03:38:11 PM
Yeah Krav maga classes tend to range from, "WE ARE PREPARING FOR FULL GUERRILLA COMBAT" to "Hey, did you guys know you can kick a dude in the balls? Wild."

I DON'T KNOW YOU! THAT'S NOT MY PURSE!
~Rev. Jesus "H" Christ

HMGMA #D-1-10535-13
Episkopos, Flying Squirrels on Fire Cabal [FSoFCabal.com]
Ordained Minister, Church of the Latter-Day Dude
Minister, Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
Reverend, United Church of Bacon
Minister, Universal Life Church
Clergy, Spiritual Humanist Church
Reverend, Open Ministry
Legionnaire, SORPOEE
Legionnaire, Cabal of Cabbage(tm)
Member, Satanic Temple
Member, Secular Student Alliance
Citizen, Aerican Empire

Answer our survey for a chance* to win one free miracle of your choice!

Al Qədic

I've been looking into (read: rereading Bluefluke's Psychonaut Field Manual and perusing r/psychonauts every now and again because I don't know what I'm doing and I don't know if I ought to) chaos magick as of late. Haven't done anything with it yet, but the ideas about the tech are interesting, and I think I could cultivate something personally useful if I manage to "get into it".

My best friend made me a spell jar to improve my love life and relationships...given that I love them to bits after 8 years, and I have like three partners now (and might be slightly less of a lesbian than I thought I was?), I'm inclined to think it works. Plus it smells good.

I keep trying to read The Satanic Bible, but LaVey keeps boring me in ways Mal-2 and Ravenhurst haven't (yet), so I keep putting it down. The Temple still seems neat though, and I contemplate joining em all official-like and such.

Overall...I think I'm about as woo-y as I was when I was more active here, I'm just a bit comfier with it now, and that's pretty neat, methinks.

Also, it's good to be back here.
There is no reason to,
Be ashamed of poetry. It,
Is natural. But you should,
Still do it in private,
And wash your hands afterward.

altered

LaVey is a shitbag, and he's at least somewhat responsible for the close association of Satanists and fascists these days (OONA and so forth). Go look his statements about the Nazis up. Dude isn't worth your time or anyone else's.

hooplala

He's just Ayn Rand with even less of a sense of humor.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

ReverendJesus

Yeah, if you want to read LaVey, skip it and just read Ayn Rand followed by some OTO literature.
~Rev. Jesus "H" Christ

HMGMA #D-1-10535-13
Episkopos, Flying Squirrels on Fire Cabal [FSoFCabal.com]
Ordained Minister, Church of the Latter-Day Dude
Minister, Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
Reverend, United Church of Bacon
Minister, Universal Life Church
Clergy, Spiritual Humanist Church
Reverend, Open Ministry
Legionnaire, SORPOEE
Legionnaire, Cabal of Cabbage(tm)
Member, Satanic Temple
Member, Secular Student Alliance
Citizen, Aerican Empire

Answer our survey for a chance* to win one free miracle of your choice!

The Wizard Joseph

We need an Ayn Ranton La Vey mashup image.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Drake75

I actually wrote Fallout Equestria Project Horizons and the teacher that "took my place" was unintentionally a teacher but meant to shield me from criticism. I explicitly wrote certain points of the story in ways where they might pick up that I love them for doing it for me.