News:

It's like that horrible screech you get when the microphone is positioned too close to a speaker, only with cops.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Subpoenaed by Congress, but still refusing to testify

Started by altered, November 21, 2019, 05:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Look after yourself altered, and I hope things are a lot more stable for you soon, so we can have you back.

LMNO

Take care of yourself, altered.  I hope we hear from you soon.

Faust

Sleepless nights at the chateau

Suu

Somebody tried to steal my mail by putting in a mail forward to Georgia for a month, under my name, not the husband. That means it's intentional.

The kicker is that the address in Georgia must not be real, because parcels are being returned to sender. I caught it because I have informed delivery, and boy am I glad I do. Suddenly watching things go from being in the delivery queue to nothing? Yeah.

It's a federal offense, and I'm under the impression that my local postmaster alerted the Fed Inspectors, and boy do I hope someone gets caught.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

minuspace

Quote from: altered on May 07, 2020, 10:36:32 PM
"the idea of fun and joy got shot in the head at 20 paces by accident and now I'm just watching the corpse get dragged around on the end of a tow chain".
I'm just going to sit here with this one.

Cain

Quote from: Suu on May 08, 2020, 10:36:07 PM
Somebody tried to steal my mail by putting in a mail forward to Georgia for a month, under my name, not the husband. That means it's intentional.

The kicker is that the address in Georgia must not be real, because parcels are being returned to sender. I caught it because I have informed delivery, and boy am I glad I do. Suddenly watching things go from being in the delivery queue to nothing? Yeah.

It's a federal offense, and I'm under the impression that my local postmaster alerted the Fed Inspectors, and boy do I hope someone gets caught.

That's...weird.

OK, I can see that someone might do that to fuck with you...if it weren't a Federal offense, as mentioned. That's some pretty extreme stupidity. Like if you're willing to break the law, you can do better than that. And if you're not, why not do something equally annoying but less illegal?

LMNO

I think somebody tried to do that with me and an old address.  They tried to buy a new iPhone and send it to an old address of mine, and Apple sent the confirmation email to my account. 

I canceled, and made sure Apple flagged that address as invalid for my account.  They must have scraped public data about me.

The Wizard Joseph

Zoomroom is up and running. Got a little bit of a late start today, but that's good because I got some much needed solid sleep. Will probably remain open until 2am central time!
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Fujikoma

So I just popped in to check up on you folks. Hope everyone is doing ok (even those who don't like me) and everyone is following safe social distancing practices and...

... is ready for the apocalypse if you live in the USA. Hold on to your hat cowboy, this ride's gonna be a doozy. I wish I could say that with cheer but given the circumstances it is with heavy heart and mind that I utter this, knowing in the past I've held views that, would accelerate this kind of stupidity. I feel partially responsible, and maybe I should. Regardless, the sentiment is that I hope you and yours are safe and continue to be safe.

Sorry to hear of everyone's difficulty, I only read three pages but it sounds like things are harsh all over.

Cain

I'm doing alright. Good to hear you're still around and kicking, at least.

Fujikoma

Yeah, thanks. The universe is far too cruel to retire me early. Glad to hear you're alright, Cain.

The Wizard Joseph

As a note altered popped briefly into the room and basically said she was in Boston and expects to die and wanted me to know, then left. I wrestled with whether or not to post about it here, but decided to so as to express my hope that that does not hapen and to keep folks abreast of the situation. Time will tell one way or another.

Quote from: Fujikoma on May 10, 2020, 02:36:22 AM
So I just popped in to check up on you folks. Hope everyone is doing ok (even those who don't like me) and everyone is following safe social distancing practices and...

... is ready for the apocalypse if you live in the USA. Hold on to your hat cowboy, this ride's gonna be a doozy. I wish I could say that with cheer but given the circumstances it is with heavy heart and mind that I utter this, knowing in the past I've held views that, would accelerate this kind of stupidity. I feel partially responsible, and maybe I should. Regardless, the sentiment is that I hope you and yours are safe and continue to be safe.

Sorry to hear of everyone's difficulty, I only read three pages but it sounds like things are harsh all over.

I occasionally find you annoying, but not as much as I make it seem for the lulz. You're not a NAZI or in any way at their table that I know of. Glad you're alive. you're right though. In the US particularly this shit storm is still getting warmed up.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

altered

Just an update on that, because it could either be construed as an overreaction or a definitive end. I was at my lowest point, with the resources of 30+ people across the country failing to do anything but get me a working Facebook account for once. Oh yeah, that's a thing, by the way. But yeah, I gave that message to Joe when I was certain I had run out of hope, after hours and hours of nothing.

It's kind of both an overreaction and a definitive end: I won't die today. But I would have.

Thanks to my friends, I'm headed to Texas, and I have been told that I will get COVID, no questions. But COVID has a survival rate: a complete lack of shelter, cops destroying any and all makeshift shelter without arresting folks, and cold wind capable of cutting through winter coat, two hoodies and a cloak is pretty definitive. The local homeless population is breaking social distancing to survive in a huddle, because there's no other way to stay alive: all shelters in the state are maxed out or closed entirely, and if they get arrested for social distancing stuff at least they stay warm.

I spent five hours in the more mild cold before nightfall today and barely could move after. I didn't get feeling back in my (raw and bloody from the wind) fingers for another three hours after that, and I was wearing two layers of heavy woolen gloves. It is deadly weather. And it's been snowing wet snow off and on, to put a nice bow on it all.

COVID is horrid, but I have good chances: best estimate I worked out with some medical friends is only a 25% chance of serious illness after accounting for everything wrong with me. That's pretty scary, but again, exposure is definitive, and the weather in Boston is only supposed to get worse until Wednesday. So COVID it is. Bonus: I get to charge my phone and take regular showers. Those aren't a thing in MA right now, period.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

The Wizard Joseph

"As desperate as altered going to Texas" is now a thing. Best fortune Altered! One day at a time.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."