Open Bar: Subpoenaed by Congress, but still refusing to testify

Started by altered, November 21, 2019, 05:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

altered

For Juana:

Let Theo know that Shudder indeed has the remaster of Phantasm and I intend to give it a watch. It’s certainly longer than the version I originally watched, so... hoping that the magic gets me this time.

ETA: Well, done watching. I think I got a feel for why it’s so well loved now.

Unfortunately, it has the Lovecraft problem: excellent ideas, mediocre to terrible execution.

I want to like it more than I do, and I have certainly gotten ideas from it. It just isn’t that great on its own.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Suu on April 03, 2020, 04:19:16 PM
We also don't have Hamish, which I mean, removes a great deal of appeal from social media has a whole.

As Juana says, the only reason I go back is that everyone is there.
Molon Lube

chaotic neutral observer

I spent most of this week working on a single problem.  Although I had an initial solution, its performance seemed inadequate, so I set out to improve it, through methods subtle, complex, and sophisticated.  Although I made some advances, it still seemed to me that I was missing something.

Today I discovered, to my horror, that the best approach was mere brute force, and that NASA had already solved the hell out of this particular problem for the Mariner-9 mission back in 1971.

Once again, I had sabotaged myself by trying to be clever.  The solution I finally settled on is under 50 lines of code.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

The Wizard Joseph

Dok i had an idea for a sort of wet filter for the ventilation systems to take out the virus aerosol. it needs to be several layers of spaced out filter like a sponge somehow kept moist with a degreaser to kill the virus. they should be safe to change and handle, but the vents themselves need to be handled as contaminated. When your production workers return to work in those high vibration areas they MUST have masks and sealed goggles and decontaminate after being in the production areas. You gotta make South Korea look like slackers  to protect the very valuable company asset known as the skilled worker. they could write off the cost as cost of business, probably patent a few things, and maybe even turn a profit teaching affiliates. just thinking. you have engineers.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Juana

Welp, my grandma is dying alone, in the middle of a pandemic, in Texas. I have complicated feelings about her (mostly she's a near stranger I don't like very much as a person) but my mom is sad and the fact that no one can be with her is a tragedy.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on April 04, 2020, 06:38:31 PM
Dok i had an idea for a sort of wet filter for the ventilation systems to take out the virus aerosol. it needs to be several layers of spaced out filter like a sponge somehow kept moist with a degreaser to kill the virus. they should be safe to change and handle, but the vents themselves need to be handled as contaminated. When your production workers return to work in those high vibration areas they MUST have masks and sealed goggles and decontaminate after being in the production areas. You gotta make South Korea look like slackers  to protect the very valuable company asset known as the skilled worker. they could write off the cost as cost of business, probably patent a few things, and maybe even turn a profit teaching affiliates. just thinking. you have engineers.

You are describing a scrubber.  It would be a thing if the disease were aerosol, and it would work well.

It would still work well, except that it's a Cadillac when you need a Yugo.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Juana on April 05, 2020, 01:13:55 AM
Welp, my grandma is dying alone, in the middle of a pandemic, in Texas. I have complicated feelings about her (mostly she's a near stranger I don't like very much as a person) but my mom is sad and the fact that no one can be with her is a tragedy.

:(
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 05, 2020, 07:15:22 AM

You are describing a scrubber.  It would be a thing if the disease were aerosol, and it would work well.

It's overkill time in my head I guess. At least the idea in my head was sound. I've been thinking of ways to apply the concept to an improvised face mask with common household ingredients. was thinking Dawn dish soap solution, but it would need reapplication every now and then.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Bruno

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on April 05, 2020, 02:03:07 PM

It's overkill time in my head I guess. At least the idea in my head was sound. I've been thinking of ways to apply the concept to an improvised face mask with common household ingredients. was thinking Dawn dish soap solution, but it would need reapplication every now and then.

Something like one a these?

Formerly something else...

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Bruno on April 05, 2020, 06:25:43 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on April 05, 2020, 02:03:07 PM

Something like one a these?

more like this

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

minuspace

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on April 04, 2020, 05:25:00 AM
I spent most of this week working on a single problem.  Although I had an initial solution, its performance seemed inadequate, so I set out to improve it, through methods subtle, complex, and sophisticated.  Although I made some advances, it still seemed to me that I was missing something.

Today I discovered, to my horror, that the best approach was mere brute force, and that NASA had already solved the hell out of this particular problem for the Mariner-9 mission back in 1971.

Once again, I had sabotaged myself by trying to be clever.  The solution I finally settled on is under 50 lines of code.

Finding the solution is still a win... please don't tell me it was the error correction :lol:

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: LuciferX on April 06, 2020, 05:02:26 AM

Finding the solution is still a win... please don't tell me it was the error correction :lol:

It was related to error correction.  In my defense, I hadn't even heard of the fast Hadamard transform a week ago.  :sad:
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

minuspace

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on April 06, 2020, 02:17:44 PM
Quote from: LuciferX on April 06, 2020, 05:02:26 AM

It was related to error correction.  In my defense, I hadn't even heard of the fast Hadamard transform a week ago.  :(
I had a similar thing happen with the Viterbi algorithm, my brain can't hack the maths though. :sad:

The Wizard Joseph

I am absolutely geeking out! I have been adding total randos on FB for over a month now both to salt my friend list and to expand my influence and connections over time. turns out one of those randos is in the same martial arts school as my old sensei and they know each other well! The hand of the Goddess is pulling some strings. The school is called Hoshin and was founded by one Doc Morris, and HE was an OG Discordian that basically applied the chaos magic principal to martial arts in a way that produced a sort of esoteric MMA. I'm fucking STOKED!!

:magick: :pax:

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

minuspace