Testamonial:  "My god, you people are depressing."

Main Menu

Open Bar: Subpoenaed by Congress, but still refusing to testify

Started by altered, November 21, 2019, 05:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeky

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on June 09, 2020, 10:13:01 PM
Quote from: Freeky on June 09, 2020, 09:47:58 PM
vegetables are fucking expensive, and it might prove to be equally expensive to grow our own but we could theoretically sell excess at a farmer's market.

tbh the acreage would be for the horses. we're both dead set on having a couple

I am somewhat curious about the context in which vegetables are prohibitively expensive, but horses aren't.

horses are good companions, and vegetables aren't. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

altered

Quote from: Suu on June 09, 2020, 10:08:01 PM
Quote from: altered on June 09, 2020, 10:30:49 AM
Could be either, it sounds like. What helps me with cluster headaches...

Get the room as cold as possible to withstand without extra clothes. I have been setting the temperature to about 68F, YMMV.

Eat some high fat dairy or meat foods. Especially good is ice cream, it's also cold. This was inspired by learning that animal fats very efficiently produce DHA for the brain and nervous system to do basic maintenance on itself, but I imagine it works for other reasons too. Lots of reasons for this to have a useful effect.

Brush your teeth. The focus takes away from the agony, so it's easier for pain reduction tactics to actually work. Better still, tooth sensation is on the trigeminal nerve, so it interferes with the pain signals in the case of cluster headaches directly (cluster headaches are a kind of trigeminal neuralgia).

This goes with all the usual stuff: dark quiet spaces, lay down comfortably, etc. But I've had limited to no success with those, these (especially combined) work wonders.

Have you tried the ice pack behind the neck trick? I've had some luck.

That only helps if I don't actually put it behind the neck but on the throat, and it's very ... I don't know the word for it, in game design we call it "swingy". Either you wait a second too long with it there and you start to feel like you're dying of fever and your brain is shutting down or you wait a second too long to put it back and all the pain restarts in an eye blink.

Behind the neck just does nothing but distract for other pain relief methods to kick in for me. That's why I prefer cooling the room to just past the point where my fingers and toes are unhappy with me. Granted, I'm also currently in a hotel, so I'm not paying those utility bills.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Freeky

Quote from: altered on June 09, 2020, 10:50:34 PM
Quote from: Suu on June 09, 2020, 10:08:01 PM
Quote from: altered on June 09, 2020, 10:30:49 AM
Could be either, it sounds like. What helps me with cluster headaches...

Get the room as cold as possible to withstand without extra clothes. I have been setting the temperature to about 68F, YMMV.

Eat some high fat dairy or meat foods. Especially good is ice cream, it's also cold. This was inspired by learning that animal fats very efficiently produce DHA for the brain and nervous system to do basic maintenance on itself, but I imagine it works for other reasons too. Lots of reasons for this to have a useful effect.

Brush your teeth. The focus takes away from the agony, so it's easier for pain reduction tactics to actually work. Better still, tooth sensation is on the trigeminal nerve, so it interferes with the pain signals in the case of cluster headaches directly (cluster headaches are a kind of trigeminal neuralgia).

This goes with all the usual stuff: dark quiet spaces, lay down comfortably, etc. But I've had limited to no success with those, these (especially combined) work wonders.

Have you tried the ice pack behind the neck trick? I've had some luck.

That only helps if I don't actually put it behind the neck but on the throat, and it's very ... I don't know the word for it, in game design we call it "swingy". Either you wait a second too long with it there and you start to feel like you're dying of fever and your brain is shutting down or you wait a second too long to put it back and all the pain restarts in an eye blink.

'finnicky?'

chaotic neutral observer

"Metastable"?
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Suu

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on June 09, 2020, 11:17:59 PM

"Metastable"?

Bethesda?
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Doktor Howl

vegetables are fucking expensive, and it might prove to be equally expensive to grow our own but we could theoretically sell excess at a farmer's market.

I am somewhat curious about the context in which vegetables are prohibitively expensive, but horses aren't.

Experience life in FreekyVision.
Molon Lube

Suu

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 09, 2020, 11:32:40 PM

C O M P A N I O N S

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Five kingdoms in the SCA just tossed racists out. This has been a long time coming.

This latest round of protests, plus everybody being stuck at home, really is bringing out the best in people. I have a whole new appreciation for who my friends are, and aren't, that's for fucking sure.

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Freeky on June 09, 2020, 10:23:32 PM

Does grass grow during the winter?
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

The Johnny

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on June 10, 2020, 02:32:07 AM
Quote from: Freeky on June 09, 2020, 10:23:32 PM

Does grass grow during the winter?

I read in a blog that horses do tho.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Johnny

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

minuspace

Junkenstein

Quote from: Suu on June 10, 2020, 01:25:15 AM

C O M P A N I O N S

No one's even bringing up the literal shit shoveling required? Seriously, I know horse people and they live in perpetual shit. Their lives revolve around dung removal.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

altered

Quote from: Junkenstein on June 11, 2020, 10:24:59 PM
Quote from: Suu on June 10, 2020, 01:25:15 AM

C O M P A N I O N S

No one's even bringing up the literal shit shoveling required? Seriously, I know horse people and they live in perpetual shit. Their lives revolve around dung removal.

My first relationship was with a horse girl. She was built like a fantasy dwarf, carried hundreds of pounds one handed without help, and couldn't wear half of her clothes to her uni classes because they were either goofy goth-industrial cosplay things or permanently shit-stained from mucking the stables at home — some six months prior.

There were two closets. One was for "grocery shopping and casual errands" and you could tell which one even without opening it.

To be clear, these clothes were very washed. Horse dung is just fucking tenacious.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.