News:

Doing everything exactly opposite from "The Mainstream" is the same thing as doing everything exactly like "The Mainstream."  You're still using What Everyone Else is Doing as your primary point of reference.

Main Menu

Thought Club

Started by The Wizard Joseph, February 03, 2020, 01:43:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frontside Back

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on March 02, 2020, 10:42:36 PM
Quote from: Frontside Back on March 02, 2020, 10:10:49 PM
I have made it a habit to report every ad that comes across my path in social medias. Paradoxically that forces me to pay more attention to them, but I don't think that's a bad thing. It revealed me some weird insight on how they actually affect my behavior.

Couple days ago there was an ad for coffee. That made me crave coffee. My coffee wasn't even the same brand that made the ad. I don't think that matters. If you drink coffee, eventually you're gonna run out. Then you need to buy more. Again, most people don't buy the brand in the ad. Some do tho.

So, for me it seems more smart to see the ad, condemn it as bullshit and store it in the portion of the brain that deals with disgusting things. Not paying attention helps them creep past the defenses.

May I yoink this for Holy Nonsense?

Yoink away, I would be honored.
"I want to be the Borg but I want to do it alone."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on February 25, 2020, 04:57:13 PM
I don't intend to derail (much), but what happens if I divide the smallest possible real number by 2? Wouldn't that number be smaller yet?

Consider that lim(x), x->0 and lim(x/2), x->0 both take you to the same place (zero), just at different speeds.

I thought about this for a while. I think that the answer is any attempt to divide ~0 results in ~0, even division by 0. It is in essence and conception indivisible.

BLAM is another matter entirely and it's not actually

0.999... But an irrational number best described as (1-~0) because in a natural number line you only have the integers in the line to express the next numbers. 0.999... Is just the best illustration in a full decimal system.

I haven't figured this whole thing out, but am thinking about consulting with a mathematical scholar at some point about my little theory.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

rong

Thinking about 1/(~0) might provide more insight
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: rong on March 08, 2020, 09:53:59 PM
Thinking about 1/(~0) might provide more insight

:cpd:

Fuck! I think I'm stuck this way.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

chaotic neutral observer

All you need is zero and one, and a set of rules to manipulate them with.  Adding a "smallest real number" just complicates things.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Construction_of_the_real_numbers
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Frontside Back

"I want to be the Borg but I want to do it alone."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on March 09, 2020, 01:56:45 PM
All you need is zero and one, and a set of rules to manipulate them with.  Adding a "smallest real number" just complicates things.

I'm talking bout 0 as a natural number. Please explain how what you referred to here is at all relevant.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on March 09, 2020, 11:19:59 PM

I'm talking bout 0 as a natural number. Please explain how what you referred to here is at all relevant.

Earlier, you said:

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 25, 2020, 01:16:35 PM
~0: not zero with a value of 0.000..infinit...00~0 it is the smallest possible real number, the Higgs boson of mathematics if you will.

I don't understand what I can do with ~0 that I couldn't do without it.  I can get the complete set of real numbers starting with just with zero and one.

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on March 08, 2020, 06:21:18 PM
I thought about this for a while. I think that the answer is any attempt to divide ~0 results in ~0, even division by 0. It is in essence and conception indivisible.

If (~0)/x = (~0), for any x, then, since division is the inverse of multiplication (by definition), we could also say:

(~0)*x = (~0). 

(~0) appears to be a renaming of zero.  As with zero, it doesn't matter how many of them are added together, the answer is always the same.

altered

The identity component of ~0 is a mistake, I think.

I think the closest you could get to ~0 is 1/inf. It's not quite right, you might have to do something like 1/omega. Omega is the term for power towers of inf right?

I think it's a useful concept.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on March 10, 2020, 12:05:52 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on March 09, 2020, 11:19:59 PM

Earlier, you said:

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 25, 2020, 01:16:35 PM
~0: not zero with a value of 0.000..infinit...00~0 it is the smallest possible real number, the Higgs boson of mathematics if you will.

I don't understand what I can do with ~0 that I couldn't do without it.  I can get the complete set of real numbers starting with just with zero and one.

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on March 08, 2020, 06:21:18 PM

If (~0)/x = (~0), for any x, then, since division is the inverse of multiplication (by definition), we could also say:

(~0)*x = (~0). 

(~0) appears to be a renaming of zero.  As with zero, it doesn't matter how many of them are added together, the answer is always the same.

Again you use the term real numbers which is not the same thing as the set of natural numbers.

The difference between ~0 and 0 is only apparent when you add an infinite number of them together. Eventually ~0 gets to BLAM. Adding infinite 0s together would still be 0.

Quote from: altered on March 10, 2020, 12:12:15 AM
The identity component of ~0 is a mistake, I think.

I think the closest you could get to ~0 is 1/inf. It's not quite right, you might have to do something like 1/omega. Omega is the term for power towers of inf right?

I think it's a useful concept.

I don't know. Gonna look up this omega you speak of.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

chaotic neutral observer

Infinity isn't a number, though; you can't divide 1/∞.  It would be like 1/grapefruit, or 1/ :fnord:.

This whole thing has been done to death over the years.

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/62486.html
https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/1372459/one-divided-by-infinity-is-not-zero

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on March 10, 2020, 12:33:52 AM
Infinity isn't a number, though; you can't divide 1/∞.  It would be like 1/grapefruit, or 1/ :fnord:.

This whole thing has been done to death over the years.

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/62486.html
https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/1372459/one-divided-by-infinity-is-not-zero

That's funny because ~0 means (not)0

1/inf= ~0

altered do you mean this?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_omega_function

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on March 10, 2020, 12:22:40 AM
Again you use the term real numbers which is not the same thing as the set of natural numbers.
Every natural number is also a real number.  If I can use a method to construct the real numbers, I can use it to construct the natural numbers, too.

The difference between ~0 and 0 is only apparent when you add an infinite number of them together. Eventually ~0 gets to BLAM. Adding infinite 0s together would still be 0.
I can't add an infinite number of zeroes together.

I can say something like lim(x*0), x->∞ = 0, but that's not the same thing.  It means "for arbitrarily large x, 0*x = 0.

What do you get if you add together an arbitrarily large, but finite number of ~0 ?

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on March 10, 2020, 12:43:39 AM
1/inf= ~0
Okay.  You've given a name to something that is considered meaningless in mathematics.  So what's it good for?  What problems does it solve that needed solving?

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on March 10, 2020, 12:57:17 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on March 10, 2020, 12:43:39 AM
1/inf= ~0
Okay.  You've given a name to something that is considered meaningless in mathematics.  So what's it good for?  What problems does it solve that needed solving?

How to draw a natural line between 0 and 1. It is necessary for taking the preference out of mathematics by providing the means to explain in real numbers how such a connection functions. Currently the mathematician must choose whether or not to "believe" 0 is natural, or worse make such a choice to support a theory that may otherwise not work. 0 must be shown to have connection to 1 without having any integers other than 0 to work with. Two real, irrational numbers can illustrate the fact, they resolve an ancient paradox. That's enough for me.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl