News:

You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for PD.com.

Main Menu

Butterfly defect

Started by Frontside Back, February 07, 2020, 01:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frontside Back

I've been dreaming about having a butterfly farm in my balcony. The idea hit me late autumn, so first time to test if it's a viable dream, or if I get bored and move on as fast as from everything else I ever do is still many months ahead. That feels weird considering the timescales I'm used to playing with.

I find growing butterflies attractive because:

1) it helps with my anxiety about the whole climate catastrophe, bugs dying, nazi zombies thing that has been going on lately, because it would be a slight breeze in to right direction instead of getting a job and bunch of other future tasks too complex to know what direction it tips the scale. Everybody always focus on bees as pollinators cause they got honey that can be put in a jar and sold. Adopting caterpillars is so easy everybody can do it!

2) I love the possibility of brag about being behind all the climate catastrophes, since math doesn't lie. Every butterfly I ring to existence will do huge amount of wingflapping before kicking the bucket. So I have dibs to every major climate catastrophe in Australia.

ANYWAY...

It is certainly not a summer yet, and I wasn't supposed post about the thing before getting shit done with the project, BUT. Something wonderful happened.

From under my sofa flies a fucking peacock butterfly and starts bashing it's head against the glass. I have no clue where the thing came from, I just know it's great and adorable and I wanna keep it as pet forever.

Head bashing intensifies. It really seems to want to go outside... I try to explain to the bug that it's very cold and windy in there, and the poor bastard would probably die. No effect.

After a while it stops and rests for a while, I try to offer it an appleslice, because I red from the internet they might eat that. Nope, more head bashing. It has been now doing that on off for hours, and I wonder what I should do. Will it learn the wonders of glass panels? Is not doing anything sadistic? Should I try to feed it more? Or try to move it to balcony where it can do the sleeping through winter thing and have a possibility to see it's friends before it inevitably dies? Will it even survive that?

It's enough work to look after myself, bring forth your best butterfly experts
"I want to be the Borg but I want to do it alone."

LMNO

"In this story, the butterfly at the window represents the Human Condition."

Cain

The only problem with this is figuring out if you are a man dreaming of owning a butterly farm, or a farmed butterfly dreaming you are a man.

Cramulus

that's really cool! I don't think I've heard of someone raising butterflies. it's too bad most of them are reincarnated criminals

I have no idea what to reccommend about the butterfly in your house right now... can't you give it a corner where it can spin a web or something? Maybe sacrifice one of the villagers to it.

Frontside Back

I'm pretty ok with it being criminal, most of the criminals I've met have been really nice to me.

It's getting dark soon, I wonder if the thing becomes obsessed with screens like normal people.

I just realised my landlord promised to pay me a visit this moth and I'm still not allowed to have pests...

Maybe it can be trained. How hard can it be to syntethize butterfly pheromones? I have access to wide array of chemicals through my school.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on February 07, 2020, 01:54:19 PM
The only problem with this is figuring out if you are a man dreaming of owning a butterly farm, or a farmed butterfly dreaming you are a man.

He screams, because he does not know.
Molon Lube

Cain

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 07, 2020, 02:51:06 PM

Inside us all there are two butterflies, screaming.

LMNO

Have you ever looked into the eyes of a butterfly?  It's a life-changing experience.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on February 07, 2020, 03:01:25 PM
Have you ever looked into the eyes of a butterfly?  It's a life-changing experience.

:madbanana:
Molon Lube

Frontside Back

Wait, is there technology to hijack a butterfly and make it poop microchips in my nostrils while I sleep.

e: I'm sure I'm not paranoid or hallucinating at the moment (dangerous), but I find it weird that  a bug would break into my house this time of a year-

Cramulus

yeah, there's no explanation--you are living in a twilight zone episode

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cain on February 07, 2020, 02:59:04 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 07, 2020, 02:51:06 PM

Inside us all there are two butterflies, screaming.
:lulz: :lulz:
:walken:
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Frontside Back

I'm not looking for the explanation, that would ruin a perfectly good mystery. I don't need a it less magical world right now. Maybe tomorrow.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Frontside Back on February 07, 2020, 06:31:44 PM
I'm not looking for the explanation, that would ruin a perfectly good mystery. I don't need a it less magical world right now. Maybe tomorrow.

Yeah, it's like when the fuckers sonar'd Loch Ness.

Thanks, you pricks.   :argh!:
Molon Lube

minuspace

Quote from: Frontside Back on February 07, 2020, 01:35:32 PM
[...]

After a while it stops and rests for a while, I try to offer it an appleslice, because I red from the internet they might eat that. Nope, more head bashing. It has been now doing that on off for hours, and I wonder what I should do.

[...]

Will it even survive that?

It's enough work to look after myself, bring forth your best butterfly experts

Ah yes, butterflies... Once, I had something like that accidentally hatch into a mason jar during the winter. I think it eventually bit the bullet and consumed some cricket food, under protest. It was like these little green jelly cubes. Not quite nectar but still high in fluids and maybe complex carbs. On second thought though, it may have been a moth.