News:

PD.com: children are filled with joy, adults are filled with dread and local government is filled with stupid

Main Menu

Re: Coronavirus data and events as they come in

Started by The Wizard Joseph, February 29, 2020, 03:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

If you fuckwits are going to start spreading disinformation through JAQing off, you can do it elsewhere.

Here's what happens when you spread shit like this:

QuoteRumours that the virus was created or spread deliberately have already led to reported attacks on Chinese nationals across South East Asia as well as in the UK. A video claiming to show Chinese officials shooting coronavirus victims and alleging tens of thousands were executed went viral on social media sites worldwide, after the celebrity sister of a prominent Bollywood actor in India shared them. The video was in fact edited from four completely unrelated clips, including one of Chinese police shooting a rabid dog.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

minuspace

For once I agree. My amygdala will take no more damage.

chaotic neutral observer

I try not to draw conclusions when I don't understand the evidence.

I don't even know the name of the subject matter I'd need to study to understand the evidence.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Suu

If anybody wanted to do significant damage with a virus, all they need to do is break open a vile of smallpox. No engineering required, we don't enough vaccine stock anymore, 96% infection rate, and 33% mortality rate. A third of the world's population aged under the last date of mandatory vaccination (The 1970s?) would die. The vaccine is also fucking terrifying and people don't like getting it. If you survive, you're usually permanently disfigured.

There's enough of it laying around still in random refrigerators that the CDC and WHO don't know about.

There is no need to work that hard at bioterrorism when the planet provided as much evil as we need.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Suu on March 27, 2020, 03:26:43 PM
A third of the world's population aged under the last date of mandatory vaccination (The 1970s?) would die.

It's worse than that.  The smallpox vaccine will have mostly worn off, by now.

https://www.cdc.gov/smallpox/vaccine-basics/index.html
Smallpox vaccination can protect you from smallpox for about 3 to 5 years.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 27, 2020, 02:53:22 PM
This isn't man made.  There is precisely zero chance of that being the case.

You are processing and spreading bad signal.

Then I shall stop entirely. I sure as fuck have not been making my clearly dangerous speculation public. Just here. Now that I think about it even if I knew it for a fact to be true, and that's not what I'm claiming, spreading it in this ontological environment would be very dangerous to a lot of innocent people and I had not considered that.

I will stop now, but I make no apology for thinking as I have and posting here because I need to be checked intellectually to actually have the truth. I appreciate that about even my most unpleasant experiences at PD deeply.

If we get through this EVERYONE'S first drink is on me.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cain on March 27, 2020, 02:57:31 PM
If you fuckwits are going to start spreading disinformation through JAQing off, you can do it elsewhere.

QuoteRumours that the virus was created or spread deliberately have already led to reported attacks on Chinese nationals across South East Asia as well as in the UK. A video claiming to show Chinese officials shooting coronavirus victims and alleging tens of thousands were executed went viral on social media sites worldwide, after the celebrity sister of a prominent Bollywood actor in India shared them. The video was in fact edited from four completely unrelated clips, including one of Chinese police shooting a rabid dog.

What is JAQing off exactly? I can't understand an acronym I'm unfamiliar with.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Johnny

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

altered

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on March 27, 2020, 06:39:55 PM

"Just Asking Questions". "I'm open to being wrong but doesn't this look compelling?" https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Just_asking_questions
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: altered on March 27, 2020, 07:13:55 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on March 27, 2020, 06:39:55 PM

"Just Asking Questions". "I'm open to being wrong but doesn't this look compelling?" https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Just_asking_questions

Neat. I'm not acting in bad faith, but the paraxox of even making the accusations is itself obfuscation.

"It should be noted that accusing one's opponent of "just asking questions" is a common derailment tactic and a way of poisoning the well. Asking questions in and of itself is not invalid."

If you believe me some sort of provocatuer or that I'm otherwise acting in bad faith ask me to go and I will never post again. Otherwise don't accuse me of such directly or indirectly ever the fuck again.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

tyrannosaurus vex

I think the question of "acting in bad faith" isn't as cut and dry as that, tbh. It doesn't take a specific devious motive to act in bad faith, only misallocated priority points, even unconsciously so. Appeals to ideas about nebulous and mysterious possibilities that flout good and available scientific explanations despite a potential danger to human life would count, as far as I am concerned, but I'm also a little extreme in my own positions and liable to make the same misstep in other cases. TWJ, I suspect that you, like me, may be prone for some reason to read more into things than is actually there in order to put a tidy lid on something unfathomable. I wouldn't ask you to top posting forever, only to forego the usual conspiratorial thinking in this specific situation because in this climate it can and will lead directly to more suffering, and there's already more than enough to go around.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on March 27, 2020, 07:22:39 PM

If you believe me some sort of provocatuer or that I'm otherwise acting in bad faith ask me to go and I will never post again. Otherwise don't accuse me of such directly or indirectly ever the fuck again.

TWJ,  You are talking to me and Cain and Faust.  We aren't here calling you names or accusing you of anything.  This ain't the old days.

But neither are we prepared to ourselves be screamed at, nor will this become the next GLP.

I say this with nothing but respect:  Snap out of it.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Remember before you get pissed off that I am the crown prince of paranoia and badly filtered data.  I know what you're facing.  I may be the closest thing to "knowing exactly where you are."
Molon Lube