News:

If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.

Main Menu

Re: Coronavirus data and events as they come in

Started by The Wizard Joseph, February 29, 2020, 03:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on April 11, 2020, 06:57:59 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 11, 2020, 06:03:34 PM
I wear a bandana around my face.  It's main purpose is to keep me from touching my face, and also to remind people to keep their distance.

Also helps capture breath droplets if you're a carrier. everyone needs to be masking up in public. I made these memes for my ex gf by request because as a nurse in rural Wisconsin she HATES seeing how nobody seems to give a shit. She requested Xena and a fire breathing dragon specifically.

Based on data out of South Korea, it really doesn't do shit.
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 12, 2020, 07:05:38 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on April 11, 2020, 06:57:59 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 11, 2020, 06:03:34 PM
I wear a bandana around my face.  It's main purpose is to keep me from touching my face, and also to remind people to keep their distance.

Also helps capture breath droplets if you're a carrier. everyone needs to be masking up in public. I made these memes for my ex gf by request because as a nurse in rural Wisconsin she HATES seeing how nobody seems to give a shit. She requested Xena and a fire breathing dragon specifically.

Based on data out of South Korea, it really doesn't do shit.

Are you telling me that the masks are straight up ineffectual? That would be very disturbing news.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

This is EVEN MORE disturbing news.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/texas-governor-vows-issue-executive-185600728.html

Quote"We can and we must do this," Abbott said. "We can do both, expand and restore the livelihoods that Texans want to have by helping them return to work. One thing about Texans, they enjoy working and they want to get back into the workforce. We have to come up with strategies on how we can do this safely."

Get the FUCK out of Texas. It's overtly about "business", but I suspect he's also pandering to strong pressure from the churches that he's not saying out loud.

related...

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/10/828340554/watch-white-house-task-force-briefing-on-coronavirus-response

Quote"The metrics right here," Trump said, pointing to his temple.

We are SO fucked. It's Easter Sunday morning. I'm having me a rum and coke before 9.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Quote"We're still capable and we're still ready no matter what the threat," Joint Chiefs Chairman General Mark Milley said Thursday.

"I wouldn't want any mixed messages going out there to any adversaries that they can take advantage of an opportunity, if you will, at a time of crisis," he added.

"That would be a terrible and tragic mistake if they thought that."

- 150 bases affected -
:weary: They might as well be saying "please test us. Here's a quick number to get you interested in testing us."

Here's... here's the rest of the article. It doesn't get better.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hit-virus-pentagon-warns-enemies-dont-test-us-165113632.html

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Quote"I don't know how many more bodies I can take," Patrick Marmo, a funeral-home operator in Brooklyn, previously told Business Insider's Dave Mosher. "No one in the New York City area possibly has enough equipment to care for human remains of this magnitude."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/teams-retrieving-280-bodies-day-170100636.html

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

altered

Masks aren't ineffective. Makeshift masks like bandanas are. Loose weave and useless gaps in the fit.

If it doesn't at least have the metal nose strip, it's worthless. If it's hand made, it might still be.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: altered on April 12, 2020, 04:13:35 PM
Masks aren't ineffective. Makeshift masks like bandanas are. Loose weave and useless gaps in the fit.

If it doesn't at least have the metal nose strip, it's worthless. If it's hand made, it might still be.

They're definitely not proper, sealed anti-viral masks, but damn I was hoping just keeping mouths covered would help.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cramulus

There is some peer-reviewed evidence that cloth masks do help. Here's that epidemiologist again: https://www.facebook.com/jenniferkastenmd/photos/a.100804298239184/119907909662156/

(charts and references in the above link)

QuoteA (peer-reviewed) paper in Nature Medicine out of Hong Kong looked at the amount of virus which is released by infected people during normal breathing, and whether or not surgical masks effectively blocked that virus. They did NOT look at COVID-19 patients in particular, just patients with all human respiratory viruses including the common cold coronaviruses (which are all of similar size).

They took 246 people, divided them in half (not the people in half, the sample size) and asked half to wear a mask/half to not, and captured the viral load in their exhaled breath for THIRTY MINUTES. If they needed to cough, they coughed- so some of this viral capture is via the much higher forces generated by human coughing. So that's a LOAD of virus- way, way, way more virus than a casual walk-by in a grocery store or public park could possibly generate.

There was a stunningly good reduction- see the attached graph: the coronavirus patients had detectable virus in 0/11 aerosol and 0/11 droplet specimens. The rate for influenza was almost as good. It was rhinovirus, the classic "common cold" virus, which proved the most elusive.

Right, I hear you say, but that's surgical masks- what about humble cloth masks? Well, a small, limited, observational study published out of Korea in the Annals of Internal Medicine showed a similar effect: they gave known infected COVID-19 patients cloth masks. They set up a Petri dish full of viral growth media 8 inches from their face, and asked them to cough forcefully. Even in that scenario, there was a 30% reduction in the amount of virus detected (versus no mask).

Only 30%?! Well, yes. So move back more than 8 inches (6 feet is advised); consider breathing v coughing forcefully; put a face mask on the "Petri dish" (i.e. the other person); AND give the "Petri dish" an innate immune system. You can see how effective a cloth mask is.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: altered on April 12, 2020, 04:13:35 PM

As I say, it keeps me from touching my face and reminds people to stay away.

I am not using proper masks.  Those are needed by healthcare workers.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

:nuke: :kingmeh:

Ok. Time to just tabula rasa the whole thing. Humans are over.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

tyrannosaurus vex

I can't wait for the conspiracy people to seize this article as proof this was an evil plot by China to use biological weapons on the entire world
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Wizard Joseph

South Korea has confirmed 111 cases of coronavirus reinfection (as of Sunday noon) with most cases reported in Daegu and North Gyeongsang Province, two epicenters of the domestic outbreak.

Jung Eun-kyeong, director of Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC), said on Sunday the organization was exploring possible causes of reinfection.

"For now it is uncertain what led to reinfection ― revived virus that survived treatment or fresh exposure to the virus after recovery," Jung said.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2020/04/119_287752.html?fbclid=IwAR0Xq84M1yLVlND7LpU8SEehX1D6iBTo_sp1W6y9jvYUb0UKJRLo6eLwBJU

Well... fuck. Just fuck it all. I'm going to bed.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on April 13, 2020, 02:02:40 AM
South Korea has confirmed 111 cases of coronavirus reinfection (as of Sunday noon) with most cases reported in Daegu and North Gyeongsang Province, two epicenters of the domestic outbreak.

Jung Eun-kyeong, director of Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC), said on Sunday the organization was exploring possible causes of reinfection.

"For now it is uncertain what led to reinfection ― revived virus that survived treatment or fresh exposure to the virus after recovery," Jung said.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2020/04/119_287752.html?fbclid=IwAR0Xq84M1yLVlND7LpU8SEehX1D6iBTo_sp1W6y9jvYUb0UKJRLo6eLwBJU

Well... fuck. Just fuck it all. I'm going to bed.

My guess is that it's hiding, like ebola does (in the eyeballs) or herpes (in the spinal cord).  Then it reemerges.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Which also means, once a carrier, always a carrier.
Molon Lube