News:

It is better to set off a nuclear bomb, than to sit and curse the dark.

Main Menu

Re: Coronavirus data and events as they come in

Started by The Wizard Joseph, February 29, 2020, 03:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

Quote from: Cain on June 09, 2020, 04:55:38 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on June 09, 2020, 02:37:38 PM
The WHO says: turns out asymptomatic carriers are not really spreading the disease. It does happen, but only rarely.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/08/asymptomatic-coronavirus-patients-arent-spreading-new-infections-who-says.html

From what I understand, digging into the details, they mean fully asymptomatic carriers. Which does sound about right.

But the tricky thing with Covid-19 is the long incubation period for symptomatic carriers (who can take up to 12 days to display symptoms) alongside milder cases that are misidentified as cold symptoms, both of whom could be considered asymptomatic but are not really. And those two are, seemingly, just as virulent as ever.

yeah, and someone on my FB thread pointed out that the WHO conflates 'truly asymptomatic' and 'pre-symptomatic'...

Quote from: Cain on June 09, 2020, 05:03:00 PM
Obama's former Acting Administrator for CMS has also raised some concerns about this story.

thanks for that! super informative. Sad that it was too good to be true.

Doktor Howl

Then there's that Bolsonaro asshole.

https://apnews.com/bd42a5a5b9abfc8a582a86af1dd7790a

QuoteOn Friday, the federal Health Ministry took down a website that had showed daily, weekly and monthly figures on infections and deaths in Brazilian states. On Saturday, the site returned but the cumulative numbers of infections for states and the nation were no longer there. The site now shows only the numbers for the previous 24 hours.

Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro tweeted Saturday that disease totals are "not representative" of the country's current situation. Public prosecutors announced an investigation into the Health Ministry's justification for the change.

A Bolsonaro ally contended to the newspaper O Globo that at least some states had sent falsified data to the Health Ministry, implying that they were exaggerating the toll. Carlos Wizard, a businessman expected to assume a high-level post in the Health Ministry, said the federal government would conduct a review to determine a "more accurate"′ toll.

"The number we have today is fanciful or manipulated," Wizard said.
Molon Lube

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Doktor Howl

Bolsonaro has been very upfront about his hatred for his people; none of this should be a surprise.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Cain

Doktor Howl

He is.

However, so is Arizona.  We are now at 76% bed utilization in our hospitals, with just a few ICU beds open, because the spike after reopening is worse than the "first wave" that never actually ended or even leveled out.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

altered

We have a mechanism for COVID.

https://elemental.medium.com/coronavirus-may-be-a-blood-vessel-disease-which-explains-everything-2c4032481ab2

I know a fair bit about endothelial disease (Marburg and Ebola were obsessions when I was 14) and I can say this tracks with all the symptoms. The ACE2 receptor point is also spot on. And furin is indeed ubiquitous in the body. The only thing I can't check is if furin actually breaches the capsid and injects the RNA.

It doesn't mention it, but it ESPECIALLY tracks with the gastrointestinal issues, because endothelial cells also line the deeper reaches of the gastrointestinal system, particularly the small intestine.

I would bet a fair few of these people who recover will have life long dietary problems similar to those caused by Crohn's disease or nutritional deficiencies similar to those caused by chronic, untreated gluten intolerance: attacking the endothelial cells is the immediate mechanism behind both of those diseases.

This also makes it a lot less scary if true. We have options for this kind of thing. A lot of them, actually. Some have even been tested effectively with symptomatic care of Ebola and Marburg patients.

That said, it's surprising it isn't MORE deadly. This thing should be wiping humans off the map en masse. Endothelial disease is not a joke, it usually has double-digit mortality rates. Instead, it's pretty well tolerated by most. Which makes me think there's a third factor (ACE2 and furin are the first two) we have yet to consider.

Huh.

I wonder if furin is sequestered over time, so older people have more of it? I wonder if certain lifestyles can keep furin levels low enough to effectively stop symptomatic expression? This should have data that already exists, if you know where to look and what for. I don't, but it's a possible starting point toward defining who's at real risk.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 09, 2020, 06:28:42 PM
Then there's that Bolsonaro asshole.

https://apnews.com/bd42a5a5b9abfc8a582a86af1dd7790a

QuoteOn Friday, the federal Health Ministry took down a website that had showed daily, weekly and monthly figures on infections and deaths in Brazilian states. On Saturday, the site returned but the cumulative numbers of infections for states and the nation were no longer there. The site now shows only the numbers for the previous 24 hours.

Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro tweeted Saturday that disease totals are "not representative" of the country's current situation. Public prosecutors announced an investigation into the Health Ministry's justification for the change.

A Bolsonaro ally contended to the newspaper O Globo that at least some states had sent falsified data to the Health Ministry, implying that they were exaggerating the toll. Carlos Wizard, a businessman expected to assume a high-level post in the Health Ministry, said the federal government would conduct a review to determine a "more accurate"′ toll.

"The number we have today is fanciful or manipulated," Wizard said.

Wizard.

I love it.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Elder Iptuous

So, My fiance is from Brazil. I've been down there a few times now, and try to keep my finger on the pulse of their current events.
I am pleased to find that Brazil is the long lost brother of the United States.  I mean, we're not the same thing, but the resemblance in many respects is hilarious.  :lulz:

Cramulus

yeah, my ex is from Brazil, been there too... long lost brother is a good way to put it. They have their own right wing oil-state media, their right wing autocrat who is only good at stomping on his own people, their own special brew of disenfranchised and often highly misinformed poor people... their anti-corruption efforts which somehow only managed to weed out the uncorrupt, their contentious public uprisings... it really seems like a bizarro-US sometimes.

those caipirinhas tho

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on June 16, 2020, 02:28:42 PM
yeah, my ex is from Brazil, been there too... long lost brother is a good way to put it. They have their own right wing oil-state media, their right wing autocrat who is only good at stomping on his own people, their own special brew of disenfranchised and often highly misinformed poor people... their anti-corruption efforts which somehow only managed to weed out the uncorrupt, their contentious public uprisings... it really seems like a bizarro-US sometimes.

those caipirinhas tho

They also as a nation really hate black folks, just as much of the USA does.
Molon Lube

Elder Iptuous

Yeah.  A real issue.  It's different in one way, however, because of the mixing that was more prevalent than here, so it seems they have more strata from what I've seen.
Also, I was at a history of slavery museum in Colombia, and learned that the average lifespan of the slaves in Brazil was 6 months after they were dragged off the boat.  Then after dying they were replaced.  As opposed to the States, where they were more e pensive and therefore kept as breeding stock.
I cant imagine that that would not cause a whole different flavor of psychic scarring in the population

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on June 16, 2020, 08:07:06 PM
Yeah.  A real issue.  It's different in one way, however, because of the mixing that was more prevalent than here, so it seems they have more strata from what I've seen.
Also, I was at a history of slavery museum in Colombia, and learned that the average lifespan of the slaves in Brazil was 6 months after they were dragged off the boat.  Then after dying they were replaced.  As opposed to the States, where they were more e pensive and therefore kept as breeding stock.
I cant imagine that that would not cause a whole different flavor of psychic scarring in the population

Yes.  And both countries have always feared payback.

And all the problems in both countries are all informed by the same things, with the same results.
Molon Lube