News:

One day, I shall make the news feed. Then they'll see. Then they'll all see! Mwahahahaha!!!!

Main Menu

Randonauts

Started by Cramulus, June 23, 2020, 04:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

QuoteRandonauts are a community of people who are exploring the use of random number generators to find Blind-Spots and experiment with Mind-Matter interactions.

https://medium.com/@TheAndromedus/a-beginners-guide-to-randonauting-1dd505c3c5a9

Cramulus

seen on FB -- Randonauts in seattle discovered a dead body in a suitcase left on the beach

what else is out there, waiting to be discovered?

https://lailasnews.com/international/randonaut-dead-body-dead-body-found-in-suitcase-seattle-video

hooplala

This is very interesting. I will read up more on this tonight.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Nibor the Priest

I randonauted! It took me to a local cemetery and the locked-up tomb of a colonial governor who died on his way back from India. (Old tombs round here are locked up with iron gates because graverobbers would steal the bodies to sell to the medical school) and another one that was in Latin that neither I nor Google Translate can understand, but some sort of teacher I think.

It was a nice walk. The quantum waffle looks like bunkum but it's easy enough for your brain to play along, like how Magic 8-Balls seem to get things right. A nice exercise in how your mind makes its own reality. I think I'll start doing this for my daily lockdown walk.

Ari

Unrelated to this thread i found out about this by weird internet algo - so i already did two spots close to my place. No dead bodies yet.
Although, if i continue this, i am sure i will find volunteers. But the exploration itself was fun...

Didnt use their app yet, been given targets by copy pasting google links somewhat close to me into their bot [https://bot.randonauts.com/]
パンクビッチ

Doktor Howl

Yeeeeeah, we don't do this sort of thing in Tucson.
Molon Lube

minuspace

it's like gambling, except nothing is at stake

ETA

Yeah, I remember that podcast, with the fence, red file cabinet- it's farm time :lulz:

chaotic neutral observer

I like the idea of going to random locations; even when I'm ostensibly 'exploring' it's very easy to fall into the same old patterns.

However, the two locations the bot recommended were too close to my residence to have any interest; one was in a University agriculture research plot (which I drove by every day, before I started working from home), and the other was next to a boring old shed (also on campus).  Not much to see there.

All the "quantum point" nonsense is just stupid.

And if I put on my hat for a moment ( :tinfoilhat: ), what if the locations really aren't random?  Get people to go to locations of interest and make reports?  Hmm.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Nibor the Priest

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on June 24, 2020, 01:55:01 PMAnd if I put on my hat for a moment ( :tinfoilhat: ), what if the locations really aren't random?  Get people to go to locations of interest and make reports?  Hmm.

That'd be cool, if it was open about it. It reminds me of the Usenet Oracle, which would answer any question emailed to it and occasionally demand that you answer a different question in payment. Of course it was just sending users' questions and answers to each other, but in the days when there were non-computery people it was enough to make them wonder how it worked.

I don't think the Randonautica app is doing that, though - it didn't ask me for any feedback about the location, or even to tell it what my "intention" was (which probably makes the psychological effect easier, since you don't have to remember it perfectly and it can still be an Uncanny Match for whatever you find.)

chaotic neutral observer

I used the web page, and after it gave me the location, it asked "Did you visit or get close to the point, and would you like to make a trip report?"  I didn't click past that point.

I agree it's unlikely they're doing anything nefarious, but part of my brain always asks "What is their profit model for this?", and "What else could this be used for?"
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

minuspace

I keep on pressing [start] and nothing happens?
[I'm a Signal guy, I guess []¯\_(ツ)_/¯]

Do I have to take it places before it talks back?

minuspace

Oh wait, it sent me the terms, I think it's on!

altered

Leave the fucking forum, LuciferX. You have no place here and the only content I care for right now is the content that makes your blood boil. I will gleefully ruin everything here to make your day a tiny bit more miserable.

Go somewhere else and never return. You're as welcome as cholera.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

minuspace

Did you get the app to work? Because that sounds like a fun way of getting off the board for a while?

Bu🤠ns

I just watched the Pool Hopping episode of Steven Universe where Garnet, who normally has the ability to see into the future, started doing random activities to disrupt the deterministic probabilities that they can normally pull up on a whim.

[CLIP]

Anyway it's basically all this!