News:

I hope she gets diverticulitis and all her poop kills her.

Main Menu

They Have Altered the Deal...

Started by Scribbly, May 10, 2023, 12:12:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scribbly

Fucking pissed at this.

Quote from: Final Draft 9Hello Screenwriter,

According to our records, you may be using Final Draft 9, a version of our software developed over nine years ago. In the years since the development of Final Draft 9, many advances have been made in computer hardware and operating systems, increasing their security and stability.

Because of the advanced age of Final Draft 9, it may not work correctly on the most current operating systems and hardware configurations. As a result of security concerns for both our network and our customers, we have decided to discontinue activation and deactivation of Final Draft 9, effective May 15, 2023. Please note this will not remove Final Draft 9 from your computers; however, we encourage you to upgrade to maintain access to security and support.

We want to ensure our customers use the best version of Final Draft available. We encourage you to upgrade to Final Draft 12 for the increased stability, security, and robust new screenwriting features in the program, including:

Collaboration
    Night & Focus Mode
    Story Mapping & Beat Boardâ„¢
    Track Changes
    Speech to Script, and more!

We understand that upgrading may be something other than what you anticipated. As a token of our appreciation for your loyalty, we are offering you Final Draft 12 at a steeply reduced rate.

I was sold on getting Final Draft 9 at a screenwriting festival on the basis that, whilst it was expensive, it was a one-off cost and I would be able to use it forever.

Now the next time I want to change computers I need a new copy. The discount brings it down to half price but 1) I don't give a shit about the new features 2) The offer expires on the 15th July and 3) Presumably they'll just do this again in a few years time when they decide they need more sales for Final Draft 13+.

If I want to use old software that might have security vulnerabilities in it that ought to be my decision to make.

Really hate this trend where apparently even things you think you own it turns out you don't.
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

altered

This is EXACTLY why software piracy is a moral obligation.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Q. G. Pennyworth

just had basically the same experience with my printer. There was absolutely no indication that anything was physically wrong with the fucker, but because it's over 10 years old and was throwing an error code, I had to throw the whole thing out. No buying replacement parts, no bypassing the errors, just huck it in the junk bin. It isn't even planned obsolescence anymore, it's enforced obsolescence. They will literally rip a working object/piece of software out of your hands by any means they can to force the upgrade.

I should have been listening to the right to repair people much sooner.