News:

One day, I shall make the news feed. Then they'll see. Then they'll all see! Mwahahahaha!!!!

Main Menu

The Florida Man Games

Started by Brother Mythos, February 25, 2024, 10:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother Mythos

"At the Florida Man Games, big crowds cheer competitors evading police, wrestling over beer"

As per this article:

"ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- They rose up by the dozens from across Florida, caricatured competitors in tank tops and cutoff shorts, for a showdown that treats evading police and wrestling over beer like Olympic sports.

Promoted as "the most insane athletic showdown on Earth," the Florida Man Games poke fun at the state's reputation for bizarre stories that involve brawling, drinking, gunfire, reptile wrangling and other antics carrying a risk of time in jail or intensive care.

The games kicked off Saturday with the "Star Spangled Banner" played on electric guitar. Then spectators sipping canned beers behind metal barricades cheered and frequently shouted expletives as a dozen teams battled in contests inspired by real events from America's most surreal state."

And, further along in the article:

"The "Florida Man" phenomenon seeped into the nation's conscience thanks in part to a Twitter account that started in 2013 with the handle @_FloridaMan. The account touted "real-life stories of the world's worst superhero," sharing news headlines such as "Florida Man Bites Dog to 'Establish Dominance'" and "Florida Man Tried to Pay for McDonald's With Weed."

Florida's claim to being the strangest state goes back much further, said journalist Craig Pittman, who wrote the book "Oh, Florida! How America's Weirdest State Influences the Rest of the Country." He noted that the first flag to fly over its Capitol in 1845 bore the motto "Let Us Alone.""

I don't suppose they would consider tweaking the name to "The Floriduh Man Games." But, the games do represent a state tradition going back eleven (11) whole years. Still, I'm thinking about suggesting a new event where the athletes compete to remove the most banned books from a library in the shortest amount of time.

Here's the link to this article:      The Florida Man Games
Discordianism is fundamentally mischievous irreverence.

Brother Mythos

I'm thinking about suggesting another new event for the Florida Man Games. I've given my idea the following working title:

"The Synchronized Sofa-ing Competition"

In this event, the competing Floriduhian athletic supporter teams must synchronize the cheering for their favorite American football team(s), while sitting on a sofa, watching the game on a bigly widescreen TV, eating pork rinds and beef jerky, and drinking beer. I feel that points should be awarded for Floriduhian costume authenticity, and the average team level of intoxication, as well as the actual choreography.
Discordianism is fundamentally mischievous irreverence.