News:

The End of the World is Coming, and YOU MAY DIE

Main Menu

Have a Tippling St. Tib's Day!

Started by Brother Mythos, February 29, 2024, 01:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother Mythos

As it is written in our consecrated Principia Discordia, "ST. TIB'S DAY - occurs once every 4 years (1+4=5) and is inserted between the 59th and 60th days of the Season of Chaos."

That's it. That's all that is written, there ain't no more.

The Discordian Wiki was not particularly enlightening either. Although, I am marginally reassured to read that, "St. Tib is not a cabbage." But, a very little research (I googled "St. Tib.") leads me to believe our holy St. Tib's Day has it's origin in old Tibb's/Tipp's Eve, and Saint Tibb/Tib memes.

Getting back to our own hallowed Principia Discordia, I believe our own St. Tib is a Lieutenant Saint, since he/she doesn't appear to have much of a following. But, I assume he/she could be promoted to Brigadier Saint some leap year, if he/she ever takes an interest in establishing a following. Further, because of this leap year thingy, I suspect St. Tib is our patron/patroness saint of "interrelation" (timekeeping). And, as timekeeping is an orderly, aneristic activity, it seems an interesting thing for a Discordian saint to do. But, such is the nature of Discordianism.

So, based upon the old memes, I think the best way to celebrate St. Tib's Day is to honor him/her by pouring out an intoxicating libation, as per the sacred ritual practiced by the ancient Greeks, and tippling back, at least, one in his/her honor.

Hail Eris!
Discordianism is fundamentally mischievous irreverence.

ein Gefrorener Würfel

Isn't it also written, that St. Tib's Day doesn't exist? Like, the day happens, but nothing is happening and it could have been just a dream.
That tidbit (I like this spelling more, it's nearly symmetrical) really created some trouble for me when I was coding a Calendar for Android.

Brother Mythos

Quote from: ein Gefrorener Würfel on February 29, 2024, 08:48:06 PMIsn't it also written, that St. Tib's Day doesn't exist? Like, the day happens, but nothing is happening and it could have been just a dream.
That tidbit (I like this spelling more, it's nearly symmetrical) really created some trouble for me when I was coding a Calendar for Android.

Of course St. Tib's Day exists. It exists today. And, it will exist again in four more years.

Seriously, where is it written that St. Tib's Day doesn't exist? I am not aware of your source.

ein Gefrorener Würfel

I tried to look it up. But apparently I was misremembering things. I always assumed St. Tibs day was something like "between the years". Days that exist in reality but not really, since they aren't available for scheduling meetings, dates,...
That means I have to write something about this just so I can reference it.

Brother Mythos

Quote from: ein Gefrorener Würfel on March 01, 2024, 11:44:20 PMI tried to look it up. But apparently I was misremembering things. I always assumed St. Tibs day was something like "between the years". Days that exist in reality but not really, since they aren't available for scheduling meetings, dates,...
That means I have to write something about this just so I can reference it.

Thanks for your reply. It really bothered me that an otherwise very knowledgeable Discordian would have doubted the very existence of St. Tib's Day. Therefore, I went back, reexamined my sources, and looked for indisputable proof of the existence of this sacred Discordian Holy Holiday. Now, I will allow that some (Not me, of course.) may have been led to conclude that St. Tib's Day doesn't exist. But, I offer the following in defense and confirmation of my belief that St. Tib's Day does, in fact, really exist:

First, St. Tib's Day is clearly listed on the "Perpetual Date Converter from Gregorian to POEE Calendar" in our wholly holy Principia Discordia. I mean, this alone should be is more than enough proof.

Second, the only source I could find that "might" lead one (Not me, of course.) to entertain the possibility that St. Tib's Day doesn not exist is an entry in the Wikipedia. There it is written that "Tibb's Eve is a folk expression for a day which will never arrive." Well ... okay. But, that doesn't mean Tibb's Eve, doesn't exist. It simply "assumes" that it will never arrive. And, as Oscar Wilde famously wrote, "When you assume, you make an ass out of u and me."

Third, what does Tibb's Eve have to do with St. Tib's Day anyway? I mean, one is an "eve," while the other is a "day." They're no more alike than apples and oranges.

Fourth, nowhere in the Wikipedia entry on Tibb's Eve, is the existence of St. Tibb actually in question.

Fifth, in any case, everyone knows Wikipedia entries are not reliable sources of information.

And so, I believe my defense and confirmation of the existence of St. Tib's Day is in accordance with The Law of Fives. And, The Law of Fives is never wrong.

Hail Eris!

ein Gefrorener Würfel

I have found the time to order my thoughts. Here is why I wrote St. Tibs day isn't real:

QuoteDoes St. Tibbs day exist?

Recently this non-existence was claimed by me. It wasn't my intention, but since I didn't formulate this idea clearly and couldn't remember where it came from, our congregation understood it as me doubting and disavowing the existence of St. Tibs and their day.
Thus, our revered Brother Mythos consulted the scripture and gave proof of the existence. But in my Brain there was still this ambivalence of the (self-)percieved non-existence and the existence of the acutal day on which we wish a tippling St. Tibs day.
This text is hopefully a clear enough explanation of my feelings that you can understand why I uttered such seemingly nonsenical sentences.
In my mind, St. Tibs day is not as real as other days. It is more akin to the days "between the years" (24.12 to 1.1) as they are called in my region of the world. A time where everything slows and shuts down. Nothing major is happening, no work, no politics, no events.
Time, which is spent slouching on a couch, meeting (extended) familiy or friends, eating, a lot of eating. The world gets back up to speed after the new year starts.
St Tibs day is related to the "between the years", but not the same. There is no slowdown, no sudden stopping, it is more of a hiccup, an extrasystole, a step on a staircase that is slightly higher than the rest.
It is real, but is it fully real? Or a wrench thrown into our perfectly rotating calendars?
Every Month has exactly the same amount of days, a year is divided evenly by the number of weeks, every day of a month is on the same day of the week each year.
Everything fits, except for St. Tibs day.
Every 4th year, but then we ignore every 25th St. Tibs day, except we unignore every fourth of these ignored days. The discordian calendar solves this issue by inserting a day bewteen the 59th and 60th day of the Season of Chaos. So the day is in the Season of Chaos, but it is neither the 59th day -it happens after it- nor the 60th day - it is already over by this time.
It exists in the unreal time "between the days".

Scan of original document:
https://odd.keks.li/pvd_st_tibs_day.pdf

Brother Mythos

Quote from: ein Gefrorener Würfel on March 04, 2024, 06:34:55 PMI have found the time to order my thoughts. Here is why I wrote St. Tibs day isn't real:

Days "between the years" is not an expression I'm familiar with, as American companies are not at all generous with days off from work.

However, "Everything fits, except for St. Tibs day." can definitely be attributed to the divine influence of our Blessed Goddess Eris.

Hail Eris!

ein Gefrorener Würfel

I think that is a german thing. The 25.12, 26.12 and 1.1 are bank holidays, add the weekends and you only need a few vacation days to get 9 days of. Some companies, e.g. my current one, make this vacation mandatory.
"Between the years" comes from the christian church, the church year ends with christmas and starts with the three holy kings day (however that is translated to english), but is currently mostly used for this one week between christmas and first of january.

Brother Mythos

Quote from: ein Gefrorener Würfel on March 05, 2024, 05:25:19 PMI think that is a german thing. The 25.12, 26.12 and 1.1 are bank holidays, add the weekends and you only need a few vacation days to get 9 days of. Some companies, e.g. my current one, make this vacation mandatory.
"Between the years" comes from the christian church, the church year ends with christmas and starts with the three holy kings day (however that is translated to english), but is currently mostly used for this one week between christmas and first of january.

I accept that "between the years" is a German thing.

And, what you Europeans call Three Kings Day is called "Epiphany" over here. (I had to look it up, as I didn't know that either.)