News:

OK fuckers, let me out of here. I farted for you, what more do you want from me? Jesus fuck.

Main Menu

The Night Shift II: Joey falls on his nose.

Started by Ghost In The Machine, March 11, 2005, 07:13:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost In The Machine

Joey was the new kid who made good.  He got out of sewer work, by obtaining a scholarship to a state university.  That was about a year ago.

Last night, he showed up with his lunchpail in hand.  It was kind of like the end of Flowers For Algernon, when the retarded guy comes in to class, having forgotten everything that happened during the previous year or so.  Sad as hell to see, if you ask me, which he didn't.

He didn't seem to want to talk about it.  In fact, he seemed bitter as hell.  Eventually, I managed to get the story out of him, while we were installing a lifting pump.  

It seems that the scholarship money required to keep him in school just evaporated.  Something about funding, and tax cuts, and priorities.  Seems that, while the big cheeses at Halliburton can get no-oversight, no-bid contracts, a kid with a 3.8 GPA in premed has to go back into the tunnels.  Odds are, he'll spend the rest of his life down here with us.

Well, why not?  After all, it's not like most Americans can afford to go to the doctor, anyway, and SOMEONE has to keep the shit from geysering out of the sewers.  Old Faithful at Yellowstone is one thing; Old Faithful in the middle of a city street is another.  Still and all, it IS a shame.  Joey really isn't happy here, and I think he would have made a good doctor.  He has the smarts, and the right personality.  He wanted to go into pediatrics, and I think he would have been really good at that.

Joey is just another sad story among millions.  Another kid run down by the crooks and fixers and pimps that we, the people of America, have chosen to lead us.  We have sewn the breeze, and we will surely reap the whirlwind.  We are becoming a nation of WalMart greeters and - for the lucky ones - blue collar workers.  No more doctors, no more scientists, no more engineers (unless you count bullshit like "process engineers").  When I was a young child, I remember hearing Jack Kennedy speaking, just after Sputnik.  The poor headshot bastard is probably rolling in his grave right now.

That's all I really have to say about this right now.

- GITM

gnimbley

I wish I had something witty or intelligent or moving to say right now.
This post deserves that.

Malaul

Coito ergo sum
O! Plus! Perge! Aio! Hui! Hem!
"You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy,the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named Bush, Dick, and Colon.  --Comedian Chris Rock

Cain

Quote from: gnimbleyI wish I had something witty or intelligent or moving to say right now.
This post deserves that.

As do I.  Im struggling myself with cash for University, and I am glad my Goverment is willing to offer low interest loans and have low tuition fees (until 2007). Having American friends who have told me about the costs over there, I cant see even middle class kids going to the better Universities in the future.  Then again, maybe that is the idea, though I doubt those at the top care either way.

The meringue

Quote from: gnimbleyI wish I had something witty or intelligent or moving to say right now.
This post deserves that.

nownow gnome, get back to your lot and make enough money to pay your tithe and barely feed yourself or you'll be shot for treason.

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Quote from: The meringue
This post deserves that.

nownow gnome, get back to your lot and make enough money to pay your tithe and barely feed yourself or you'll be shot for treason.

they can't shoot him for that. what you think this is? Bushlandia?
"Time for the tin-foil hats, girls and boys!"

The meringue

Quote from: Irreverend Hugh, KSC
This post deserves that.

give it time. Our kids are going to inherit the dystopia our parents created.

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

This post deserves that.

Nah! That's what guns are for, mate.

"Violence rules!
Guns are cool.
And we've got guns in our schools!"

The Meringue

This post deserves that.

"Violence rules!
Guns are cool.

dress it up how you want, it's the same schtick all over again.

Horab Fibslager

it's always a good excuse to blame your parents.
Hell is other people.

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Quote from: The Meringue
This post deserves that.

"Violence rules!
Guns are cool.

Naw. Deeeeuuuuude. It's different.

The meringue

Quote from: The Meringue
This post deserves that.

"Violence rules!
Guns are cool.

Naw. Deeeeuuuuude. It's different.

in 1851 russia finally abolished serfdom because they were lagging behind the world in every single repect it's possible to be behind the 8-ball in. a little over 55 years later ther was an 8 year revolution because the country's infrastructure couldn't adapt fast enough and the first world war was crippling their economy. After Lenin's dying from a series of strokes stalin comes in on a bloody coup and works 30 million people to death "fixing" the problem. and that's still a smaller note in history than the holocaust.

These days in russia people still die of the cold in winter for the same reasons they were dying of the cold 150+ years ago. sure... different.

New boss = old boss.

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Sure boss. Whatever you say boss.

What makes you think the shooting would stop, this time?

The meringue

Quote from: Irreverend Hugh, KSCSure boss. Whatever you say boss.

a little hope, some alcohol and free sex, or if that doesn't work there's always the benevolent semi-plutocratic meritocracy.

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Quote from: Irreverend Hugh, KSCSure boss. Whatever you say boss.

a little hope, some alcohol and free sex, or if that doesn't work there's always the benevolent semi-plutocratic meritocracy.

But who cares about little joey? Fuck little joey! what about little billy? Huh? how come no one talks about little billy?