News:

In North Korea, this forum wouldn't be banned, it would be revered and taught in schools as a palatable and preferable version of Western history. And in many ways, that's all the truth the children of North Korea need

Main Menu

WTF are you?

Started by Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy, March 18, 2005, 11:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which are you?

Hippy
1 (4.5%)
Beatnik
1 (4.5%)
Square
3 (13.6%)
Revolutionary
4 (18.2%)
Misc counter culture
3 (13.6%)
All of the above
1 (4.5%)
None of the above
3 (13.6%)
An annoyance to all of the above
6 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: March 18, 2005, 11:45:24 PM

Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy

The Beatniks were before the Hippies.  I am not sure of the distinction.  Except the Beatniks were a smaller group, the hippies attracted a lot of people who eventually became squares.  We seem to throw the word 'hippie' around here without really thinking about it.  I don't want to talk about what any website or book has to say, I want to talk about what it means to us.  Some of us our old enough to remember the last time macrame was popular.  For some of us it never went out of style.  

My husband and I wear our hair long, does that make us hippies?  He volunteered for the Navy in 1975, never realising where that would take him.  Not knowing when he was done serving his country people would call him a baby killer and spit on him.  He gets all snotty if someone calls him a hippie, his standard answer is that he is not a hippie, he works and bathes.   :roll:  

Those are his issues.  What are ours.  We, the people who post on this forum, seem to be people who do not fit neatly into society's categories of being this or that.  Are we hippies?  Beats?  We all seem to be counter culture to some extent.  Are we going to fail as our predecessors did?  By bickering amongst ourselves?  By getting derailed by stupid pranks?  Sticking apart has its limits.  

If we must label each other, let's come up with something for ourselves.  Many other groups before us have been labeled by others, we could come up with our own.  Short of that, let's quit using labels that are not derogatory in a derogatory manner.

Chef

DISCORDIANS != HIPPIES OR BEATNIKS.

DISCORDIANS = DISCORDIANS.

CHEF DIESEL,
THINKS ONE NAME IS ENOUGH.
CHEF LIVES IN A MANTION.  YUO LIVE IN TENSE.

Cain

I suppose I could be labelled as part of the miscellaneous counter culture, but Ive always been quite a revolutionary at heart, so that is where the vote went.  You bunch of hippies.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy
We all seem to be counter culture to some extent.  

Are we going to fail as our predecessors did?  By bickering amongst ourselves?

1.  Actually, we're Acultural.  We do not actually fit into ANY culture.

2.  Obviously.  By the time anything gets large enough to gain a name, it's already on the road to implosion or commercialization.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger

2.  Obviously.  By the time anything gets large enough to gain a name, it's already on the road to implosion or commercialization.
So that's why things go all caflooey here and why the Mirror crashed, hhhmmm....makes sense.   That's what happened to the Beatniks, by the time they got that name they were all onto something else, then the hippies came in and tried to duplicate the process, some of them succedded and some of them didn't.

The Good Reverend Roger

So that's why things go all caflooey here and why the Mirror crashed, hhhmmm....makes sense.   That's what happened to the Beatniks, by the time they got that name they were all onto something else, then the hippies came in and tried to duplicate the process, some of them succedded and some of them didn't.

You can't force this type of thing, and you have to put up with the occasional jerk that comes along.  People who derail threads, for example.

However, attempting to rein in Discordian behavior is the fastest way to kill it.

Mirror was an attempt to duplicate the success of this forum.  In fact, for a while, we called it "PD Reloaded".  Unfortunately for Osidian, he gave mod powers to an attention whore, who tried to FORCE the board into what he envisioned...thus wrecking it.

The same thing always happens to subcultures, it's only a matter of time.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Waddya mean?

The Good Reverend Roger

Waddya mean?

All subcultures ultimately disintegrate.  With the hippies, it happened due to a combination of three factors:

1.  Emotional fatigue:  The war went on and on, and many of the hippies just got worn out.  The weirder ones (Abbie Hoffman, etc) kept on, but they weren't really hippies.

2.  Drugs:  The hippie movement sort of degenerated into a haze of drugs, and the original message became obscured.

3.  The end of the Vietnam war:  With no draft, many "hippies" saw no further reason to "drop out".

With discordians, it will probably be orthodoxy.

Or silly shit concerning pies and cookies.

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend RogerOr silly shit concerning pies and cookies.

And flirting :roll:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Scribe

Naw.  That's pretty much net standard.  It's part of the medium, not the culture.

All subcultures ultimately disintegrate.  With the hippies, it happened due to a combination of three factors:

1.  Emotional fatigue:  The war went on and on, and many of the hippies just got worn out.  The weirder ones (Abbie Hoffman, etc) kept on, but they weren't really hippies.

2.  Drugs:  The hippie movement sort of degenerated into a haze of drugs, and the original message became obscured.

3.  The end of the Vietnam war:  With no draft, many "hippies" saw no further reason to "drop out".

OK, I see that, 1, 2 3.  And I don't see orthodoxy being a problem because we can't agree on anything long enough to have it become orthodox, although it may happen some day. :?

But I disagree about the pie and cookies.  That and the beer is what is keeping us together  :D

Quote from: Scribe

Naw.  That's pretty much net standard.  It's part of the medium, not the culture.
But, the Discordian movement or whatever it is, is growing with the internet.  It wouldn't exist as it is today without the internet.

The Good Reverend Roger

OK, I see that, 1, 2 3.  And I don't see orthodoxy being a problem because we can't agree on anything long enough to have it become orthodox, although it may happen some day. :?

But I disagree about the pie and cookies.  That and the beer is what is keeping us together  :D

1.  Orthodoxy can take more than one form.

2.  Really?  I think it's just a fluff generator, but that's just my opinion.

1  Okey dokey.

2  I already did this over there on that other day.  Some people need cookies and pies.  They have been so fucked over you have to get them to care about something, anything.  The easiest way to do that is to get them to care about themselves first, then get them to care about something else, anything else.  Cookies and pies make people feel a little better.  Of course, some people just need to be stabbed and or thrown out of windows  :twisted:

The Good Reverend Roger

1  Okey dokey.

2  I already did this over there on that other day.  Some people need cookies and pies.  They have been so fucked over you have to get them to care about something, anything.  The easiest way to do that is to get them to care about themselves first, then get them to care about something else, anything else.  Cookies and pies make people feel a little better.  Of course, some people just need to be stabbed and or thrown out of windows  :twisted:

2.  I suppose.  Cookies and pies just annoy me, though.