News:

PD.com: The culmination of the 'Ted Stevens Plan'

Main Menu

NSRA Field Report 1: Actually lost in Suburbia

Started by Cain, April 12, 2005, 07:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

This is actually quite embarassing, but I will tell it anyway.  It was the Monday after I got back and I went to see a friend who lived in the same town as me. Her parents had moved recently so we walked to her new house after our chat. It was on the residential side of town, the bit I didnt like.

After seeing her off, I decided to head home. After 10 minutes, I was absolutely lost. I had lived here for nearly 2 years, although some of that time I was away. Lost, in my home town?

The problem was everything looked the damn same and I can't be bothered to memorise 200+ street names. Every house was made of the same stone, to the same design. I wondered for a moment if I had actually left St Andrews at all, as it had a very similar area.  I shook my head and continued on, in the hope of finding a landmark or higher ground.

And every street seemed to have a person washing a car, which made it worse.  Why did a quarter of the population decide to do their car on a not very sunny day?

I decide to get a drink out of my bag. Diet coke (sooo healthy, or maybe not). I remember these were a life saver in Peru, where the water was near undrinkable. I was gasping for one while we were trekking in the Colca Canyon.  And then it hit me. Everything was trying to become the damn same!

Thats the thing. We see the same things, the comfort of knowing order is there. As if order = security.  Its a very appealing, intuitive seeming idea, isn't it? Hell, the whole idea of ritual is based around it: "if I do this and this then this will always happen".  But it seems to be getting greater appeal, through such things as globalization and and the monopolization of companies.

Where is the variety, the change, the chaos? Do they really think by making the whole world the same they will manage to shut Eris out? Hah, boy were you fed a line of bullshit if thats so! Just as you think your safe She'll smash down those walls of comfort!

But still, it seems that is where the forces of order are determined to strike next. Just remember that evolution comes about through change and variety. If you try to make everything the same, rigid, it becomes unadaptable and gets left behind.

The Open Bar

B_M_W

Nice. I like ^_^

*Blows a shrill note on the flute for Scribe*

Damn, I gotta clean this thing sometime.

~BMW
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

Zurtok Khan

Ohh, very nice, I likes!

I've felt the same way before.  But, luckily (and this is the only good thing about Utah) the streets are numbered, hehehe.

Pull up a coke, and have a chair.
Resistance is Fertile.

Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more.
-Mark Twain

I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
-Mark Twain

Horab Fibslager

i think it comes through order and change but at the same time, cheers dude.
Hell is other people.