News:

PD.com: More merciless than a statue of Ming.

Main Menu

OK, enough fucking bullshit

Started by Chaplin_Sinatra_Fonzarell, May 16, 2005, 04:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Quote from: T'ai Kung
Quote from: agent compassionI really don't wanna see Discordianism reduced to the next Hot Topic craze, do you?

sorry, but that's another cop-out.

I don't really want to see this country reduced to the next post-industrial slagheap theocracy, do you?

8)

From all your posts, I figured it already was...

agent compassion

Dude, you totally missed my point.

'I'll take you out for a meal with Mr. and Mrs. Pain, order up some violent quiche. Do you want some?' - ++++++ Moon

East Coast Hustle

perhaps, but I'd prefer to try and stop or perhaps even reverse the process rather than rolling over and giving up, especially because I was concerned about whether the people that might think it's a good idea and jump on the bandwagon are worthy of being real discordians or not.

I say, if the entire Hot Topic crowd wants to join up, it's a good opportunity to try and educate/enlighten a group that's clearly already at odds with the status quo and just doesn't know how to break free yet.

8)
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

agent compassion

Here's the thing: They won't.

The reason I believe in flying low is because once something hits the mainstream, it gets corrupted and marketed into nothingness.

Hot Topic IS status quo now, you see.

'I'll take you out for a meal with Mr. and Mrs. Pain, order up some violent quiche. Do you want some?' - ++++++ Moon

East Coast Hustle

then you lack faith in the rightness of your cause.

but you're right, we should just not do anything rather than take the chance that our quirky little philosophy might become popular and widely accepted because it's a good fucking idea.

8)

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

That's what they said about Punk, too.

And we all know your veiws on Punk, Kung....

agent compassion

:roll:

You and I have always disagreed on tactics, Turd, so perhaps let's just leave this one alone.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: LMNOThat's what they said about Punk, too.

Punk as a musical genre = dead, dead, DEAD.

Punk ethos as reflected in the views and practices of the disaffected, disenfranchised urban youth = VERY much alive and well.

hip-hop is the new punk anyway.

8)

LMNO

Punk ethos as reflected in the views and practices of the disaffected, disenfranchised urban youth = VERY much alive and well.

8)

...but with juicier asses.

Cain

8)

Troof.  I had that discussion many times with friends.  And idiots of varying types.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: LMNO

8)

...but with juicier asses.

c'mon dude, you know I'm not talking about Nelly and Ludacris and that kind of shit.

tell me that Visionaries, Living Legends, any of the crews on Rhymesayers or Quaanum, Aesop Rock and the Def Jux crew, Cali Agents, Zion I, etc. aren't the new face of "punk" DIY?

8)

LMNO

Yes and no.

I think we need to break down and separate different uses of the word "punk".

Are some hip-hoppers creating new sounds and styles in their basements, with minimal equipment and building a fan base without the use of major labels (DIY)?  You bet.  But are they ultimately wanting to be a big as Neptunes?  Absolutely.

Are they dedicated to destroying the standards the music industry have created (Fugazi)?  Nope.  Most want to get noticed and be bought by the industry.

Many push for social change (Clash, Minutemen), but many, many more do not.

It's easy to say that Hip Hip is the new punk, but you have to be careful about comparing labels like that.

Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy

Part of th eproblem is you guys are too young to see a bigger picture.  Here is what I have observed.  In the 90's, things were kinda cool, mellow, Dems in charge, sort of.  In the 80's, we had the Rep's in charge, sort of, everything went conservative, movies showed more violence to women, people wore suits more.  The late 60's early 70's, there were lots of hippies, peace love and all that crap.  The 50's were conservative.  Before that there was war and crap.  The 30's were horrible, but Prohibition and the New Deal brought us out of it or something.  The 20's were the Roaring 20's, very liberal.  Women took off their corsets, but hadn't really got into wearing bras yet.  

I heard on the radio yesterday that there is a lot more war protests than we realise, the 'mainstream media' is not covering it.  The recruiters are having a difficult time because people are doing sit-ins.  Recruiters were not allowed into one of those thingys seniors do, job fair or whatever.

There is an ebb and flow.  I know this looks bad right now.  We are going into a dark time.  I also know the American people follow the crowd.  It is sad, but when enough people are touched by this war, when enough people have gone to enough funerals, people will strike out.

LMNO

Something else to think about, re: Hot topic-cizing of Discordia.

Once Eris gets into the mainstream consumer culture, THEY will be able to identify, compartimentalize, and dismiss it.

At least, to their satisfaction.  

No movement was ever so terrifying as in the initial stages when no one knew what the fuck was happeneing.  To use the music analogies, Jazz, Rock, Psychedelia, Metal, Punk, Hip Hop all terrified the populous when it came out, but now "London Calling" is selling cars, and even Lindsay Lohan is using hip hop beats in her music.

Keeping Discordia unknown guarantees paranoid confusion.  Which is often the point.

East Coast Hustle

counter-point: we don't have to say anything about discordianism to be an effective catalyst for activism and change. Oour ideas and methods are good ones. We can leave the name off of them and just present them as a set of good ideas.