News:

You have [3] new messages in your inbox

Main Menu

Reality (or something like it) - A rant on many things.

Started by Zurtok Khan, May 27, 2005, 10:43:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zurtok Khan

I believe in looking reality straight in the eye and denying it.
-Garrison Keillor

It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Facts do not cease to exist just because they are ignored.
-Aldous Huxley

I was recently in an ER with my sister.  It was for her, not me.  It was nothing serious, so I won't mention it anymore.  What I would like to mention is the fact that while sitting in this ER with nothing to do my attention was drawn to a box of latex (or whatever material...) gloves sitting on a shelf on the wall.  What was particularly odd about this box was that there was an S...no...an N...no...an S...well you get the idea.  There was one letter on the box that as I looked at it, it changed from an S to an N to an S.  The longer I countinued to stare at said box, the more this happened.

Being the introspective person that I am, I set my mind to thinking about what was going on with this box.  It was obviously an S (an N wouldn't have made sense, seeing as it was at the begining of the word Sterile...Nterile isn't a word you see often), but it obviously wasn't.  

Then, like the speeding bullet this kind of knowledge is, it hit me.  This was Discord.  The longer you stare at it, the more it changes.  The more you try to focus on it, the more it becomes ellusive.  You can relax, it does what it wants.  You can choose to enter the flow, or try and claw your way to the shore, out of the muddy waters.  It does not matter.  This is Discord.

I then say and berated myself for thinking this.  Presuming that one could witness Discord.  Then, my pineal gland burst open, and Eris spoke to me.  She was not in a bad mood that day, she was going through one of her motherly phases, and didn't mind codling (sp?) me.  "Discord," she said, "you see everwhere.  Just because you want to codify it, and mystify it, and set it into your narrow parameters of existance does not mean that you can't see it, anymore then those things would cause it to cease to exist.  Self-knowledge, knowledge that is neither arrogent or humble, that is nothing but it's SELF is the only knowledge."

I felt comforted by this.  It was a strange thing to be comforted, I know.  

This is not the end of this story, there are two more parts to it.  The first comes from the ceiling fan in my family room.  Whilst sitting in the rocking chair rejuvinating from mowing the lawn (that most lowly of tasks) I stared at the fan (for the simple reason that I did not feel the need of the idiot box - because I am idiot enough already).  Fans have always had interesting facination for me, but this particular day I realized that the longer I stare at the fan, the more it seems to slooooooooow waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy doooooooown and then speed-way-up.  My attention was then directed (by my peanal gland) back to the incident of the S/N as described above.  That reality (or something like it) was twisting again as I was watching it, gave me goosebumps.  Once is strange, twice is stranger by far.

The last part of this story comes from reading the second Harry Potter book.  I was reading it for the second time last night, and came across a particular line, "...muggles will go to any lengths to convince themselves that magic isn't real..."  Well, thats close enough to the line, anyway.  I was then struck again by this knowledge-bullet.  I will go to any lengths to convince myself that Discord, Chaos, Reality (or something like it), and everything else there is (or might be!), fit only in my limited paradigm.  

Eris, it seems, is still practicing her mindfucks.  This one, I believe, was quite masterful.

First a nudge, then a bitchslap.  I really ought to take my own advice.
Resistance is Fertile.

Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more.
-Mark Twain

I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
-Mark Twain

LMNO

You are Evil.  You are my Nemesis.  One day, I will destroy you.

Even so, that's a very insightful post.  Good job on listening to what Eris had to say.

More of that, please.

Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy

Zurtok Khan

Yes, I would LIKE to be a fucking hippy.  Problem is, I haven't found anyone to fucking.  So, I am simply a hippy.

*goes out to plot how he will destroy LMNO*
Resistance is Fertile.

Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more.
-Mark Twain

I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
-Mark Twain

LMNO

::plots against the plot of destruction, to destroy the plot o destruction with a plot to destroy::

Zurtok Khan

Pfft, I've won already, you are already fading into nothingness, LMNO, for I have gone back in time and killed your father!

Then, I fucked your unlce (in a very South Park moment) and then fucked your mother.

LMNO, I AM YOUR FATHER!
Resistance is Fertile.

-Mark Twain

-Mark Twain

LMNO

You thing that taboo against Patricide is gonna stop me?

Nevar!

Dad, youse is gonna DIE!

hooplala

That's amazing, I loved it.

I have also had experiences like that, but chalked them up to acid flashbacks.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Zurtok Khan

Join me, my son, and we shall rule the universe together, until that gets boring, and then we'll find something better to do.
Resistance is Fertile.

-Mark Twain

-Mark Twain