News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "Spoiled brats of the pagan world, I thought. I really don't have a lot of respect for Discordians. They just strike me as spiritually lazy."

Main Menu

This Won't Hurt a Bit

Started by Marl Fublewonker, November 30, 2005, 10:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marl Fublewonker

Let me begin by saying that this is more of a story than a rant. A true story however.

So, the Red Cross came by my area today, and, feeling that others needed it more than I, I decided to donate a pint of blood. After sitting through about an hour's worth of questions pertaining to my travelling situation and sexual life (did you know you can't donate blood if you're gay?) I was finally admitted into the room to have my blood sucked from my arm. I was prepped and ready to have the needle inserted, and the technician (not nurse... technician) said, "This won't hurt a bit." It wasn't that bad... yet. After about 20 seconds I was a little woozy. Then after another minute I felt supremely dizzy. I didn't think anything of it. I thought it was just the effect of losing blood. Then I blacked out.

A seizure! I had a fucking seizure! I started coming to to the sound of people screaming my name and some old guy in a Santa Clause hat holding my legs up. My first thought was, "Fuck! Santa Clause!" There was a searing pain in my arm where the needle was. I looked down to see why it hurt so much only to see the technician holding a bloody rag to the inside of my gushing elbow. Apparently during the seizure the needle was accidentaly ripped from my arm. This was an experience I will not soon forget.

So, in short, fuck you Red Cross. Don't expect another donation of any sort from me again.

The Doctor

Priest, Church of Eris

-
Support A Cure For Ribbons!

Funny little human brains, how do you get around in them?

Cain

Yeah, that sounds about right.  My father always had a horror story about one time when he tried to donate that it took over 20 jabs with the needle to find his vein.  I think that was a technician too, though fortunately in his case a nurse saw something wasnt right and did it properly, in one easy go.

Hows your arm doing?

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

You can't trust those people to pop a vein correctly. The Red Cross are notorious fuck ups with that procedure.
"Time for the tin-foil hats, girls and boys!"

The Doctor

And the needles are huge.  :?
Priest, Church of Eris

-

Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy

I decided a long time ago the question and answer thing was way too annoying and pretty much pointless.  A lot of people who are carrying the HIV virus don't know it.  Then there was the case of someone who died after having been exposed to West Nile virus, donated her organs and at least one of the recipients died.  Can you imagine surviving transplant surgery and dying from some stupid virus, that would suck.

Marl Fublewonker

Quote from: CainHows your arm doing?

It's okay. There was no really bad damage, just kind of painful.

BADGE OF HONOR

How did getting a needle in the arm cause you to have a seizure?  Isn't that kind of your fault, not theirs?
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Quote from: Rabid Badger of GodHow did getting a needle in the arm cause you to have a seizure?  Isn't that kind of your fault, not theirs?

Vagal something response.  Can make a person faint for no apparent reason, not sure about the seizure part.  One of those things you don't know you have it until something like this happens.

East Coast Hustle

what my brain saw:
Quote from: Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy
Vaginal something response.  Can make a person faint for no apparent reason, not sure about the seizure part.  One of those things you don't know you have it until something like this happens.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Doctor

Priest, Church of Eris

-

Bella

Yeah, so did I.
So I got a beer to clear my head and still thought that's what she meant to write.

Sorry about the whole needle thing, Marl.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

Marl Fublewonker

Thanks for the concern folks. I've been shaken up about it all day.

By the way Rabbid Badger, they said that a seizure is a rare reaction to the suction they use to remove the blood. It sounds plausible.

The seer

Heh I know a guy who was turned down from the army because whenever he gets any kind of wound the muscles around it contract so tight they stop the bloodflow. I mean COME ON! he's a walking fucking tourniquet!  :lol:

But yeah. I'm no big fan of needles. But I'd rather not donate blood. I'd feel very christian answering 'no' to 98% of those questions.  :lol:

Quote from: Marl FublewonkerThanks for the concern folks. I've been shaken up about it all day.

By the way Rabbid Badger, they said that a seizure is a rare reaction to the suction they use to remove the blood. It sounds plausible.

You guya are all so funny  :roll:  :P  :lol:  Glad I made everyone's day and that class with the 10 pound book did actually come in handy.

Anway, the vagas nerve is like the 10th cranial nerve.  It has control of a lot of stuff, like blood pressure, heart rate, stomache acid and I forget what all else.  It is a bunch of stuff that doesn't seem related that much and it is weird that it is all the same nerve.  They(tm) have experiemtned with cutting the nerve for people with sever ulcers, this was before the whole bacteria theory of ulcers and Prilosec.  Not much point in trying to figure out if it is that unless you start passing out a lot.