News:

In North Korea, this forum wouldn't be banned, it would be revered and taught in schools as a palatable and preferable version of Western history. And in many ways, that's all the truth the children of North Korea need

Main Menu

Heraclitus - the complete philosophical fragments

Started by Cain, May 01, 2006, 11:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Heraclitus was born at Ephesus of aristocratic parentage around 540 B.C. and lived until 475 B.C. We know almost nothing finite about his life, except that he was early known as difficult of comprehension, hence the nickname "The Dark One" or in Greek skoteinos. There is no absolute evidence for a Book of his philosophical ideas, and the hundred or so "Fragments", which are quoted from later sources, seem to derive from his personal Sayings or Counsels, much in the manner of Pythagoras' Symbola. Strangely many of the cited fragments come from Christian sources, bent on disproving or ridiculing Heraclitus' words, a bad effort which has the good effect of giving us a few more of Heraclitus' precious insights.

http://community.middlebury.edu/~harris/Philosophy/Heraclitus.html

Read now plz.  You'll find him very relevant to Discordianism.

LMNO

This is true.  My dad gave me a book of his collected fragments.  I found them interesting, and vague enough to interpret in many different ways.