News:

PD.com: "the lot of you are some of the most vicious, name calling, vile examples of humanity I've had the misfortune of attempting to communicate with.  Even attempting to mimic the general mood of the place toward people who think differently leaves a slimy feel on my skin.  Reptilian, even."

Main Menu

Sigmatic Drinks Expensive Tall Boys

Started by Jasper, September 14, 2010, 04:08:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

I spent the last few months drinking beers, almost never the same brand twice.  I am reposting my notes on the subject here. 

Ales

Henry Weinhard Summer - Plain.  Tastes like "beer".  Above mediocre.
Full Sail Amber - Good with pizza, as I recall.  3/5.
MacTarnahan's Amber - Better than Full Sail, details hard to recall
Arrogant Bastard IPA - Challenging.  Hoppier than I'd like, but lots to keep my interest.
Devil Dog IPA - Wasn't bad, but even more hoppy than Arrogant B.  Made me feel bleary eyed.
Lagunitas Lucky 13 Red ale - Good.  Interesting aftertaste.
Alameda El Torrero IPA - Robust and flavorful. 
MacTarnahan's Winter HumBug Ale - A bit watery, very mild and not bitter.  Pleasant, but not exciting.
Drifter Pale - Smooth, slightly sweet, refreshing.  Paired seamlessly with a Caesar salad.

Porters

Black Butte - It was alright.  Same as many ales, better with pizza.

Lagers

Session - Good!  Has an interesting pungency almost like licorice.
Mate Veza Black Lager - Drinking this as I post these notes, and really loving the smooth, frothy texture mixed with the distinct mouthfeel of Yerba Mate.  It's good! 

Bocks

Paulaner Salvator Double Bock - Delicious!  I was pleasantly surprised.
Weltenburger Kloster Asam Bock - Another treat!  Starting to love Bocks.
Weihenstephaner Korbinien Doppelbock - Again, quite smooth, very flavorful, not bitter, just enough hops. 

Stouts (Muh fav'rit.)

Old Rasputin Imperial - Favorite.  Tastes like gold in beer terms.
Bison Chocolate - Sippable, tasty, pleasing.
Black Bear XX - No complaints, interesting character.
Sheaf - Didn't like it.  Tasted sour.
Sam Smith Oatmeal - Delicious, a bit filling. 
St. Peters Cream - Smooth and slightly flat tasting.  Good though.
Victory Storm King - Complicated, a bit hoppy, but in a good way.

Cramulus

Jasper

DEFINITELY Old Rasputin.  I don't have the requisite language to convey how happy it makes me.

Jasper

Red Hook rules.

I know a man who drinks it every day.  For the last two decades.  And nothing else.

Red Hook rules.

Sir Squid Diddimus

If you get a chance to try Old Rasputin on nitro tap, DOOEET!
The nitro adds a creamy frothiness that changes the flavor to something even BETTER

Jasper

Oh shit.

PORTLANDERS

Anyone know a place that has this?

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Sir Squid Diddimus

Jasper

I don't frequent public houses very often, so my knowledge of local dives is rather lax.

Jasper

Delirium Nocturnum - Belgian Ale

Pouring it kind of flummoxed me.  I seem to have botched that part a bit.  But still, it is everything I expected.  It's frothy and light and slightly sweet at first, with a mild tang, then a mellow finish.  It tastes like something, but I can't put my finger on it- kinda golden tasting.  Kinda grainy, but - Perhaps yeasty?  No...

Ah, nailed the pour on the second half.  It's still hard to describe.  Not hoppy, and not spicy.  Not fruity...

Help!  This is too complex and I don't understaaaaaand!!! 

I like it. :)

Sir Squid Diddimus

I always found it to be malty with hints of molasses and caramel.
Strong too. 8.5% abv

Suu

Nocturnum is good, it's definitely not as...Belgian-y, which is good for folks who don't like the typical dubbel or tripel taste. Have you tried Tremens yet?

Also Squid, what was that Delirium I got from you last year? A Christmas one...Was it Noel?

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Sir Squid Diddimus

Suu

Yep, that caught me off guard. LOL. I was buzzed before I finished the bottle.

Jasper

Haven't found Tremens yet.

I was kinda buzzed by the end, but it didn't last more than a half hour after I finished. 

I think I noticed some odd stuff floating in the bottom, that was normal right?