News:

CAN'T A BROTHER GET A LITTLE PEACE?

Main Menu

Freeky's Fread For Failed Food. FFFUUUU-

Started by Freeky, April 22, 2010, 05:20:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I think they're usually $4.99/lb here, so that does seem awfully high from my perspective, compared to what they "should" cost in my head.

But you could always do jalapenos instead, they're usually cheap.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nast

If you're going for spicy, those little dried red peppers, chiles de arbol, are good for soups and stews and such. Really cheap too.

"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Sir Squid Diddimus

dude a habanero costs about .14 cents cause they weigh shit. and really, unless you're making xni pec, you only need one. but if it's actual flavor you're going for and not heat, you could just roast a pablano and throw it in (maybe 2) which also don't cost shit.

cubaneles are also pretty good and cheap. i think ECH has it here, too many of the same veggie. not enough seasoning.

i'm still confused as to how it can taste like salsa with no tomato, onion or cilantro, which are kind of the base for most typical salsas.  :? oh there's green onion, meh still not the same i don't get it.

Freeky

To ECH; Thanks for the input.

To Squid; It has the texture of a salsa, I should say. It's okay on flavor, it's just not exciting.

Nast

Looking at the recipe, I noticed a few things. First of all, the store-bought chicken stock. I know, I know, it may seem like a pain in the ass to make your own, especially when you have better things to do, but it's really worth it. The boxed kind is usually blah and muddly , while the homemade stuff is bright tasting and flavorful. It makes a huge difference in soups.
Second, maybe you simply left it out of your steps, but did you add salt? Salt is the vehicle of flavor, and without it anything can taste meh.
And third, you could add aromatics. Onions, shallots, garlic, herbs, spices, anything would help. Some tomato would be good too.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Freeky

I didn't add salt because I'm trying to cut back on eating so much of it. :/

Nast

Quote from: Professor Freeky on April 26, 2010, 01:12:24 AM
I didn't add salt because I'm trying to cut back on eating so much of it. :/

Oooh.

Well, I believe any homemade food seasoned with salt still has far less sodium than commercial products, if that makes you feel less guilty.

Freeky

Hmmm.

I'll have to try making chicken stock sometime. And thanks for the tip. :)

Also, ECH, Why not put milk in soup?

BADGE OF HONOR

First of all, it will probably curdle.  Secondly, it's mostly water and won't add anything to the flavor.  If you must, add cream.  Or throw sour cream on top (mmm...borscht).
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Freeky

Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on April 26, 2010, 07:21:43 AM
First of all, it will probably curdle.  Secondly, it's mostly water and won't add anything to the flavor.  If you must, add cream.  Or throw sour cream on top (mmm...borscht).

Oh. Now I know. :)

Bruno

I'd put some Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning in it.

But then, that's what I always do.
Formerly something else...