News:

PD.com: Trimming your hair in accordance with the anarchoprimitivist lifestyle

Main Menu

What if Emperor Norton had really been a reigning monarch?

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, December 21, 2010, 07:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

QuoteHowever, after the deaths of Caligula's wife and daughter, it became apparent that Cassius intended to go beyond the terms of the conspiracy and wipe out the imperial family. In the chaos following the murder, Claudius witnessed the German guard cut down several uninvolved noblemen, including many of his friends. He fled to the palace to hide. According to tradition, a Praetorian named Gratus found him hiding behind a curtain and suddenly declared him princeps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claudius

Just saying.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Kurt Christ

Looking into it more, I will concede the point about Nero, but Claudius doesn't seem to have been entirely unwilling, if only because he wanted to get the throne out of Caligula's hands. He did pardon Caligula's assassins, and change his name to legitimize his role as emperor. Though my refutation of Claudius was actually based on the line
QuoteThat might be a good strategy;  Find some kid who just wants to mind his own business, then force them into monarchy.
He may have been the Gerald Ford of Roman Emperors, but he was certainly not a kid.
Formerly known as the Space Pope (then I was excommunicated), Father Kurt Christ (I was deemed unfit to raise children, spiritual or otherwise), and Vartox (the speedo was starting to chafe)

Nephew Twiddleton

I'll just point out that Claudius' last address to the Roman Senate admonished Britannicus to grow up fast (read, so that Nero would not be Emperor).
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 21, 2010, 07:04:14 PM
Something very close actually happened:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dom_Pedro_II

I can't find a single thing wrong with this guy.

That dude was fucking awesome. We need one of him.

I am actually starting to see some value in monarchy over democracy.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on December 22, 2010, 10:24:34 AM

That dude was fucking awesome. We need one of him.

I am actually starting to see some value in monarchy over democracy.

We have no king but Elvis, baby.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Suu

Claudius was fucked in the head anyway. He was one of his uncle's minnows, after all.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Bu🤠ns

QuoteHis name in full was Pedro de Alcântara João Carlos Leopoldo Salvador Bibiano Francisco Xavier de Paula Leocádio Miguel Gabriel Rafael Gonzaga

lol GREAT find Roger!

With a name like this how could he NOT end up being Emperor?

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Suu on December 22, 2010, 02:22:08 PM
Claudius was fucked in the head anyway. He was one of his uncle's minnows, after all.

Ugh, minnows....

:vom:
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

BadBeast

I can't think of a better example of  Ruling done properly. And I'd never heard of him until half an hour ago.  I don't think I'm being too easily convinced either. The Bloke was a natural. A rare thing, these days, to see a Ruler, who knows the Art of Statecraft so well. (Or a Statesman, who knows how to Rule properly)
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit