News:

Several times a month, I will be in a store aisle reaching for something and feel a hand going up the inside of my thigh. When I turn around to find myself alone with a woman, and ask her if she would prefer me to hold still so she can get a better feel for the situation, oftentimes she will act "shocked" claiming nothing had happened, it must be somebody else...

Main Menu

request: stew recipes

Started by Triple Zero, August 19, 2007, 06:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Darth Cupcake

The pork pie sounds pretty amazing, Rat.

This has made me want to hunt down a recipe for Shepherd's Pie. Mmm.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Triple Zero

Payne knoas Shepherds Pie.

it's basically minced meat with herbs and veggies, topped with mashed potatoes, topped with grated cheese.

there should probably go cream in there somewhere as well.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: triple zero on August 21, 2007, 09:57:18 PM
Payne knoas Shepherds Pie.

it's basically minced meat with herbs and veggies, topped with mashed potatoes, topped with grated cheese.

there should probably go cream in there somewhere as well.

Well yeah, but my skills with improvising foods are limited. Where I have skills for improvisational cooking, I am damn good.

But Shepherd's Pie is not within the realms of my improvisational skills. Not unless I am depressed, cause I'm a mad good cook when feeling emo. :lol: But I'd rather not feel emo!

So, Payne, wanna share your Shepherd's Pie genius plz?

PeregrineBF

There is tons of stuff in the Joy of Cooking. I recommend the 1975 edition.
So now for some blatant copyright infringement! Hooray!

Beef Stew Gaston (4-6 servings)
Cook a day ahead.
Cut into small pieces and, if very salty, parblanch briefly:
1/2 lb salt pork.
Dry and saute the pork slowly in a large skillet.
Cut into pieces:
2 lb boneless stewing beef
Brown the beef in the hot drippings over high heat. Spoon off most of the accumulated fat.
Sprinkle the meat with:
seasoned flour.
Combine and heat until boiling:
1¬? cloves garlic, chopped
1 large chopped onion
1 cup bouillon
1 cup canned tomato sauce
12 peppercorns
3 whole cloves
¼ cup chopped parsley
1/3 bay leaf
Place the meat in a heavy saucepan. Pour above ingredients over it. Simmer covered 2-3 hours or intil meat can be easily pierced w/ a fork.
During the last hour of cooking add:
¬? cup dry white wine
Cook seperately until nearly tender:
6 medium-sized pared quartered potatoes
6 pared quartered carrots
1 rib of celery, chopped
Add above veggies to the stew in the last 15 minutes of cooking.

There are other recipes for various stews, of course.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Dar:

you will need:
3 cups water
1 cup green or yellow lentils
1 big fat onion
2 big tomatoes (i like to slice em into wedges, they hold up better)
1/2 tsp ginger
3 fat cloves of garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsps salt
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp turmeric
2 tsp yellow curry powder
1 tsp caraway seeds

Put all this crap in a pot and cook it for an hour. a little less if you ike it soupier, longer if you like it pastier.

And by tsp, i mean small palmfull. No exact measurements needed for regular cooking.

Yum  :D

Chicken chili:

bone in skinless chicken thighs (about 4 to 6)
can of cream of chicken soup
(dry and pre-boiled)white beans
a big onion
3 cloves garlic
sliced jalapeno
palmfull cumin
handful of cilantro
salt and pepper
can of green chilis
enough water to cover

Throw this in a crock pot and leave over night or all friggin day. Bones will slide out when done and meat will pull apart.

I'm hungry now.
Guess I'll just have some grapes  :sad:

Triple Zero

tonight i will have my first stab at making stew.

you all forgot the most important ingredient, by the way: sweet dark brown (belgian) beer

but i can understand how that is so obvious you might have simply overlooked it.

otherwise i got:
- pieces of pork meat (ham/bacon kind of stuff)
- green beans
- potatoes
- onion
- garlic
- leek
- milk
- bouillon/stock cubes
- and brown beer

rest of the spices and things i'm gonna make up while busy

time to go buy some brown beer!

Sir Squid Diddimus

Triple Zero

it's done. and it was freaking delicious!!

(i did forget the bay leaf though)

sort-of recipe (serves 1.5 big americans or 2 dutch who will have a littlebit left over):

- cut the meat (about 600g) into small pieces
- melt some butter in your pan
- throw the meat in
- add some 5 or 6 cloves of garlic, cut into pieces
- some 5 or 6 big onions, quartered
- put on medium-low heat, let it cook, with the lid on (otherwise all that garlic smell will escape!)
- also add some pepper and caraway seeds
- peel, wash and cut your potatoes into small pieces (0.5 kg)
- when done, these go on top of the other stuff
- now you add one bottle (33cl) of brown beer
- bring to a boil
- now start preparing the other stuff, which will go in, in the order of what you think is best (most "fragile" stuff last): leek, green beans, moar onion, moar garlic, some complete rosemary and thyme stalks (i have growing on my balcony), cloves, nutmeg, salt, pepper, stock/bouillon powder, salt, white wine vinegar, paprika powder, bulgarian "mystery spice", moar butter, moar brown beer and milk
- let simmer until it has the right consistency and you are in agreement with the concoction.
- in the mean time, try to fish out as much of the herb stalks and cloves as possible

improvements will be, next time (when i'm gonna have to cook this for 15 people or so): slightly less cloves, (maybe) slightly less brown beer, and i need better quality white wine vinegar.

i think it has cooked about 2-2.5 hour from the time i threw the meat in until it was done. but the meat was really tender by then, and that's what counts :)

Darth Cupcake

That sounds brilliant. I will have to try it sometime.

Also, I salute your compatriot with the striped socks. 8)

Triple Zero

That was probably Mango .. :)

ANYWAYS

:sotw:

I was looking for LMNO's recipe for stock. I seem to remember LMNO explained about how you should save up the bones from any meat you eat in the freezer and then use those to cook stock later.

I have saved bones in my freezer. Porkchop and some coq-au-vin drumstick bones.

I also happened to find a 1.7lbs bag of frozen soup-veggies for a euro in the supermarket yesterday, so I think I pretty much have everything. Maybe even bay leaf. I always forget the bay leaf.

Anyway I can't find said Stock du LMNO recipe, anyone know where it went?

Triple Zero

indeed. beer shall go into stew.

however, I want that info on making stock.

Dysfunctional Cunt

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=23441.0

I make this a lot and the kids absolutely love it.

Your stew looked yum yum yum

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 19, 2010, 12:24:37 AM

All you really need for stock is bones (with or without meat, I like to use a whole chicken), some veg (celery, carrot, onion usually), some spice (rosemary, thyme, parsley, peppercorns, salt, bay leaf), and water.
Bring it all to a boil and let it roll for like 10 minutes then reduce to a rough simmer and let it go for an hour or two.
When it's all done strain it and use as you please.

LMNO

Quote from: Turdley Burgleson on February 19, 2010, 04:10:00 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on February 19, 2010, 12:24:37 AM

All you really need for stock is bones (with or without meat, I like to use a whole chicken), some veg (celery, carrot, onion usually), some spice (rosemary, thyme, parsley, peppercorns, salt, bay leaf), and water.
Bring it all to a boil and let it roll for like 10 minutes then reduce to a rough simmer and let it go for an hour or two.When it's all done strain it and use as you please.

Augh!

I hope you didn't do that.

The science of the thing is that the bones contain collagen, which is the stuff that thickens the liquid, which sort of lives in-between the hard calcium bits.

A low heat will sort of render the collagen out of the bones, but a high heat will preven a complete extraction.

So, the best thing to do is to bring it up to between a "gentle" and a "barely" simmer.  You just want to get a little bit of movement on the surface.  Let it go for as long as you can. If you have a slow cooker, you can let this go overnight, or even an entire day, if you want.

You're also not trying to reduce any of the liquid, so you can add water if the level starts to go down.  Your goal is to get all the collagen out of the bones.

Also, while you can use any additional aromatics or flavors, I usually skip any kind of salt in my stocks.  Since what ever recipe I'll be using the stock for will also be seasoned, added salt in the stock can mess up the balance, and can always be added to later-- you can't get the salt out once it's in there.

Once it's strained, I let it sit, then use a fat separator to get a lot of the grease out.  If you don't have one, you can let it rest in the fridge for a few hours, and then the fat will rise and congeal in a disc, allowing easy removal.