News:

Everyone who calls themselves "wolf-something" or "something-wolf" almost inevitably turns out to be an irredeemable shitneck.

Main Menu

THE CANCER KILLING PDCOM - Blow-by-Blow Coverage of Democratic Primary Race

Started by tyrannosaurus vex, January 04, 2008, 06:15:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

Yeah, Romney announced he was "suspending his bid" a few hours ago.

I have a feeling that McCain is going to pick him as his running mate.

You'll have to pardon my moment of American exuberance, but at least on the Democrat side we have the chance of getting a minority in the office. Be it a woman or a black man, and imo, that's a HUGE step for the country, considering our preachiness towards equality and civil rights, and yet flipping out anytime a minority is in a position of power. Even though their ideas are odd, I don't see them as being a bad thing. Our country is being left in a shitty state this year, you KNOW Bush will do whatever possible to fuck up more, so whoever gets elected at this point, Dem or Rep, best just get to steppin'.

McCain is right, up and leaving the Middle East is a rotten idea. It makes us look bad, but meanwhile support for the war stateside isn't exactly strong. So the Dem nod is going to have to take that all into consideration.

But we all know that, so I have no idea why I feel I need to make this post.

Anyways, I won't be in-state for the RI Primaries, though I have my bet Clinton is going to take it because she won in Mass despite the Kennedy nod of Obama, and god only knows whatever MA does we have to do too!

Not that it matters in the long run, we popular vote Dem in the big one, and have a total of 4 electoral votes who always goes Dem, so the country ignores us usually. We really should be granted more votes, because our population by area exceeds that of a lot of states. But ...the country ignores us, and I think Rhode Island likes it that way.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Quote from: keeper entropic on February 07, 2008, 07:42:41 PM
Quote from: Suu Fett on February 07, 2008, 07:17:47 PM
Because dropping bombs solves everything.

There's always the alternative.
We could nuke it and give it to the jews.

This made me lawl and think of the Running of the Jews in Kazakhstan.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

tyrannosaurus vex

What I don't like about McCain is that he seems to be another cowboy type. And his agenda, like the agenda of every president since Truman, is keeping hold of the status quo. Politics, especially international politics, is all about gridlock. Progress on any front is out of the question because it makes everybody uncomfortable. There will be no progress away from imperialism under McCain, there will be no progress on civil liberties, government spending, or human rights (except torture, maybe, and it's pathetic that we have to make progress away from torture in the first place).

The NeoCon community just doesn't get international politics. If you want to actually accomplish something, zealous nationalism and lightly-veiled 20th Century fascism disguised as "keeping regulation out of the market" isn't going to accomplish anything.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

LMNO

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Suu Fett on February 07, 2008, 07:43:58 PMat least on the Democrat side we have the chance of getting a minority in the office.
They're not minorities, they're politicians. Washington is already 110% politicians.

QuoteMcCain is right, up and leaving the Middle East is a rotten idea. It makes us look bad, but meanwhile support for the war stateside isn't exactly strong. So the Dem nod is going to have to take that all into consideration.

I think the ridiculous thing is that the obvious answer to Iraq -- repartitioning -- is for some reason the one thing that nobody in power will even consider, including the Dems.

Also, if we just pull out and leave them in chaos, how is that different from staying there and imposing chaos?

LMNO

Because if we impose disorder, order will naturally arise?

Amidoinitrite?

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: vexati0n on February 07, 2008, 07:54:05 PM
Quote from: Suu Fett on February 07, 2008, 07:43:58 PMat least on the Democrat side we have the chance of getting a minority in the office.
They're not minorities, they're politicians. Washington is already 110% politicians.

A very good point, but that seems true of every one who ran.

QuoteMcCain is right, up and leaving the Middle East is a rotten idea. It makes us look bad, but meanwhile support for the war stateside isn't exactly strong. So the Dem nod is going to have to take that all into consideration.

I think the ridiculous thing is that the obvious answer to Iraq -- repartitioning -- is for some reason the one thing that nobody in power will even consider, including the Dems.

Also, if we just pull out and leave them in chaos, how is that different from staying there and imposing chaos?

Repartitioning isn't a simple answer either. If the Kurds were on their own, Turkey seems likely to invade. If the Sunni were on their own, they'd have no oil, no money and be poor as dirt. And  Southern oil fields would be under the control of the Shia. So, that would mean the lone sane group out of the three would be dealing with crazy Turks (and will have once again been abandoned by the US), The Sunni will be neck deep in poverty and crazy muslims(fundamentalists and extremists)  and the Shia will be very happy, very rich and playing footsies with Iran.  Somehow I don't think thats a good idea.

As for the Chaos, right now there is medium to low chaos (compared to High, Very High and OH MY God from earlier in the war). If we were to pull out now, the Iraqi government would collapse and OMG level Chaos would return. At least, thats what I think based on the available info coming out of Iraq.

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cramulus

suu please excuse the capslock to follow

Quote from: Suu Fett on February 07, 2008, 07:43:58 PM
You'll have to pardon my moment of American exuberance, but at least on the Democrat side we have the chance of getting a minority in the office. Be it a woman or a black man, and imo, that's a HUGE step for the country, considering our preachiness towards equality and civil rights, and yet flipping out anytime a minority is in a position of power.

IT WOULD BE SO MUCH MORE  PROGRESSIVE TO NOT ELECT SOMEONE ON THE BASIS OF RACE OR GENDER.

WHY DOESN'T ANYBODY SEEM TO UNDERSTAND THIS?? I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS HERE.

LMNO

Well, how do you tell the difference between someone hiring a white guy on the basis of merit alone, and Aini?

tyrannosaurus vex

Maybe, but all we're doing now is postponing the OMG VIOLENCE anyway. We are not affecting Iraqi society in any real or lasting sense. We have a bunch of boots on the ground that are having a dampening effect on the violence, but we're not actually convincing anyone that violence isn't the answer. Eventually, we are going to leave and they are going to revert to violence, or they'll revert to violence even with US troops in Iraq.

Cramulus

Quote from: LMNO on February 07, 2008, 08:16:47 PM
Well, how do you tell the difference between someone hiring a white guy on the basis of merit alone, and Aini?

when the person in question explicitly says they want a black or female president, and that takes precedence above any other factors.

I mean, I know a few black guys who are voting for Obama "because he's black." and that's stupid. Do they really think he's gonna be a better choice "because he's black"? If so, they should KTSFTB.

Suu

No I understand completely, and I know you like caps Cram, so I forgive you. But I think that's something that a lot of people in our generation don't seem to understand, especially in what the rest of the country calls the Liberal Northeast. I've seen bum-fuck America, where unfortunately most of our population is, and if people out there would get their heads out of their fucking sister's cooches, they'd realize this, but they won't. I was talking to my friend in Montana the other day who said he was voting for Romney because he was a Mormon and refused to believe that Obama was Christian because his last name rhymes with Osama, and therefore he IS is a terrorist. This is a man with a political science MASTER'S degree from the University of Idaho. Woo, go America!

This is also how 90% of the old people in the nation think too, and as long as those old conservative fucks can still work a voting machine, no one is going to get elected based on their ability to lead the country. It always comes down to age, race, religion, and general popularity, just like voting for fucking prom queen.

You're right it WOULD be more progressive to vote not based on these matters, too bad no one wants that.

LMNO

Does anyone remember that the surge was originally supposed to quell enough violence so the Iraqi Gvt could have some breathing room to establish itself?

Yeah.  That worked pretty well, don't you think?  While the violence did go down a little, the surge has failed because the reason for the surge didn't happen.

Suu

LMNO