News:

Christians *have* to sin.
If they don't, it's like Christ died for nothing.

Main Menu

Has anybody ever tried Coquilles Saint-Jacques?

Started by Jasper, October 07, 2008, 09:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

I'm guessing ECH has tried it, at least.

There are recipes everywhere online. 

What I did was use scallops and shrimp for the sauce, plated onto seashells with potato mash around the edges to increase sauce capacity.  The topping is bread crumbs and gruyere.  Good stuff.

Darth Cupcake

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Jasper

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

yeah, usually around here you find it made very traditionally (shrimp and/or potato would draw strange looks), but I approve of tinkering and that sounds like good tinkering.

another good variation is to do it with newburg sauce or chardonnay cream sauce instead of white sauce.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Jasper

Do you have any good tricks to bring down the prep time?  I'd make this more than a couple times a year if it didn't take all damn day.

Richter

Gruyere?  Edit: Cheese.  Got it.

Also, DAMN that looks delicious.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Jasper

It was.

Thanks for all the compliments, guys! :)

I'd really like to play with a chardonnay cream sauce in this.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Felix on October 07, 2008, 11:59:19 PM
Do you have any good tricks to bring down the prep time?  I'd make this more than a couple times a year if it didn't take all damn day.

huh? shouldn't take more than an hour or so, all prep included.

spray a large ramekin or seashell-style bowl with pan spray. put your scallops in it. drizzle some butter on them and stick them in a 450 oven for 3 or 4 minutes, or until they are about half-cooked. (note: use the big scallops. If using the little scallops, cut time in half or even omit this step. but really, use the big ones.) remove from oven and add white sauce (sauce should be at room temp, not just from the fridge). top with shredded gruyere. put it in the broiler until the gruyere bubbles and starts browning. mix crumbled ritz crackers with a little clarified butter and spread on top of scallops to cover. return to broiler until breadcrumbs brown. garnish with finely chopped parsley.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Felix on October 08, 2008, 12:59:18 AM

here's the recipe I use at the restaurant. we serve it over angel hair, but it would be good in a St. Jacques-style dish. We also use a bunch of cheaper seafood (mussels and maine shrimp and haddock) as filler since scallops are so expensive. I'm posting it here as a scallop-only dish, although if you feel the need to add to it I suggest throwing some cherrystone clams in towards the start of things.

in a HOT aluminum or cast iron skillet (NOT non-stick):

2 tbsp olive oil. allow to heat up.

4 oz. pancetta, medium dice. allow to render and begin crisping.

1 tbsp minced garlic. allow to barely begin browning.

deglaze pan with 1 cup chardonnay or similar white wine.

2 oz. sun-dried tomatoes, medium dice.

8 oz. big scallops. (if using small scallops, do not add until after cream begins reducing.)

(add the clams at this point, if you're using them

once wine is boiling rapidly, add 3 cups heavy cream (cream should be room temperature when added)

keep on high flame, boiling rapidly until cream sauce has reduced to desired consistency. shake pan over flame occasionally to keep scallops from settling to the bottom of the pan and sticking.

(at the restaurant, we serve it over angel hair. I'm gonna proceed as if you are doing it St. Jacques style)

put scallop/cream sauce mixture into 2 large ramekins or broiling dishes. top with finely sliced scallions. top with gruyere cheeses and broil until cheese bubbles and browns. remove from broiler, top with ritz crumb mixture, and return to broiler until crumb topping browns.

serve with a lemon wedge and garnish with finely chopped parsley.

Cramulus

Jasper

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on October 08, 2008, 01:25:03 AM
Quote from: Felix on October 08, 2008, 12:59:18 AM

here's the recipe I use at the restaurant. we serve it over angel hair, but it would be good in a St. Jacques-style dish. We also use a bunch of cheaper seafood (mussels and maine shrimp and haddock) as filler since scallops are so expensive. I'm posting it here as a scallop-only dish, although if you feel the need to add to it I suggest throwing some cherrystone clams in towards the start of things.

in a HOT aluminum or cast iron skillet (NOT non-stick):

2 tbsp olive oil. allow to heat up.

4 oz. pancetta, medium dice. allow to render and begin crisping.

1 tbsp minced garlic. allow to barely begin browning.

deglaze pan with 1 cup chardonnay or similar white wine.

2 oz. sun-dried tomatoes, medium dice.

8 oz. big scallops. (if using small scallops, do not add until after cream begins reducing.)

(add the clams at this point, if you're using them

once wine is boiling rapidly, add 3 cups heavy cream (cream should be room temperature when added)

keep on high flame, boiling rapidly until cream sauce has reduced to desired consistency. shake pan over flame occasionally to keep scallops from settling to the bottom of the pan and sticking.

(at the restaurant, we serve it over angel hair. I'm gonna proceed as if you are doing it St. Jacques style)

put scallop/cream sauce mixture into 2 large ramekins or broiling dishes. top with finely sliced scallions. top with gruyere cheeses and broil until cheese bubbles and browns. remove from broiler, top with ritz crumb mixture, and return to broiler until crumb topping browns.

serve with a lemon wedge and garnish with finely chopped parsley.

:fap:

I gotta try this. That sounds freaking amazing.

I'm going to ask a dumb question, though... What is "deglazing"? I see it used all the time, and I THINK I know what it is, but I'd rather not fuck up with a nice recipe because I thought wrong.

LMNO

Little bits of food that sticks to the bottom of a pan when cooking is called "fond".  It's where flavor hides out.

Adding liquid to the pan and scraping the bottom pulls the fond into the liquid, and creates a sauce when the liquid evaporates.  If the liquid is flavored, then the flavor will concentrate as the water evaporates.

Try this:  Season a chicken breast, and sear it it a pan, each side about 5 minutes, maybe 7 depending on thickness.  Remove.  Add 1/4-1/3 cup of white wine to hot pan, scrape up the fond.  in about 1-2 minutes, add a pat of butter, and stir constantly.

Congrats, you've made a pan sauce that perfectly matches the chicken.

Darth Cupcake