News:

TESTEMONAIL:  Right and Discordianism allows room for personal interpretation. You have your theories and I have mine. Unlike Christianity, Discordia allows room for ideas and opinions, and mine is well-informed and based on ancient philosophy and theology, so, my neo-Discordian friends, open your minds to my interpretation and I will open my mind to yours. That's fair enough, right? Just claiming to be discordian should mean that your mind is open and willing to learn and share ideas. You guys are fucking bashing me and your laughing at my theologies and my friends know what's up and are laughing at you and honestly this is my last shot at putting a label on my belief structure and your making me lose all hope of ever finding a ideological group I can relate to because you don't even know what the fuck I'm talking about and everything I have said is based on the founding principals of real Discordianism. Expand your mind.

Main Menu

Cooking with LMNO

Started by LMNO, October 08, 2008, 01:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Yeah, for mine I did 20 minutes at 500, and then dropped it to 350 for almost an hour.

Pulled it when the meat hit 140, rested for 15 minutes, and got a really great rare.  Pics tomorrow.

Kai

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on October 27, 2008, 11:48:29 AM
well yeah.

if you're eating wild game, you need something to cover up the taste of wild game.

Depends on what the wild game has been eating.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Rabbi LMNO on October 27, 2008, 12:02:39 PM
Yeah, for mine I did 20 minutes at 500, and then dropped it to 350 for almost an hour.

Pulled it when the meat hit 140, rested for 15 minutes, and got a really great rare.  Pics tomorrow.

Rare? for Pot Roast?

you must be using a different cut of meat than I've ever used. I usually, after browning on the stovetop, put it in a cast iron crockpot in a 300 degree oven for 4 or 5 hours. Anything less than that and it will be inedibly tough.

what cut are you using?

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Kai on October 27, 2008, 12:08:00 PM
Quote from: East Coast Hustle on October 27, 2008, 11:48:29 AM
well yeah.

if you're eating wild game, you need something to cover up the taste of wild game.

Depends on what the wild game has been eating.

to an extent. even if you select your game for diet, you pretty much can't overcome the fact that wild game will be MUCH leaner than commercially-raised meat (and fat is what makes meat taste good) and the meat will almost certainly have heavy buildup of lactic acid due to exertion, especially if your first shot isn't clean.

generally, wild fowl, while tasting nothing like the turkey or duck or pheasant you buy in a store, will be much more palatable than wild mammal meat.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Suu

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on October 27, 2008, 12:34:34 PM
Quote from: Rabbi LMNO on October 27, 2008, 12:02:39 PM

Rare? for Pot Roast?

you must be using a different cut of meat than I've ever used. I usually, after browning on the stovetop, put it in a cast iron crockpot in a 300 degree oven for 4 or 5 hours. Anything less than that and it will be inedibly tough.

what cut are you using?

I won't be doing rare, both Mr. Suu and I don't like it so I'm aiming for medium, which is probably what, another hour at 350?

I don't has cast iron crockpot. *fail*
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

East Coast Hustle

if it's my opinion you're asking, pot roast cuts (usually top round or bottom round, though chuck is used as well) are only edible after 4 or 5 hours of braising. Less time than that and the connective tissues will not have had time to break down. But if you're doing a pot roast recipe with a different cut than is usually used for pot roast, YMMV.

Suu

It's about 2.5 pounds and it's the recipe LMNO gave me in the Pot Roast thread. If I need to get it braising for a few hours, best to let me know since I'll be cooking it today.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

East Coast Hustle

need to know what cut of beef you are using.

Suu

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on October 27, 2008, 03:32:50 PM
need to know what cut of beef you are using.

Bottom round roast. It has a nice layer of fat on the bottom.

East Coast Hustle

yeah, I'd say after dusting in flour and browning on each side, put it fat side up in a covered pan with whatever liquid and veggies you are using and let it sit in a 300 degree oven for at least 4 hours, probably 5.

LMNO

I can has brussel sprouts.

With a paring knife, pluck it off the stem, and half them.

Garlic... but this time, sliced, not minced.

Porkchops.... This time, bone-in, not pounded out, salted, peppered, cumin-ed.

Cast iron skillet.  Red pepper flakes, salt, and BACON GREASE.  Turn up to medium.

Sprouts in, cut side down. When you run out of room, just throw the rest on top.  Cover, and let sit for 5 minutes or so.

Meanwhile, dust the chops with flour, and put into a hot oiled pan., about 5-7 minutes a side, depending on thickness.  PLEASE NOTE: Due to the increasing sanitary conditions of pig farms, and the tendency to breed the fat out of them, pork no longer has to be cooked to a dark grey 165 degrees.  A light pink will NOT KILL YOU.

Check the sprouts for carmalization (if it's gone all black on one side, don't worry, they'll still taste good), toss sprouts around, and throw some of the garlic in.  Turn heat to low, and cover again.

Those chops look done.  Pull them out, and keep warm.  Turn heat down, add some garlic, deglaze with white wine.

Then, add ¼ cup orange juice, and 3 Tb lemon juice, and reduce.

Sprouts should be tender.  Remove from pan, turn heat up, deglaze with a splash of sherry, then put sprouts back in, and toss to coat.  Season to taste.

Spoon sauce over chops, and serve.

Jenne

Yum!  And I do something similar to brussel sprouts, but I pour bacon grease and bacon bits over them, along with chicken stock, and then bake them.  SOOO yum!

AFK

That would've been great without the brussel sprouts.

RWHN
-a meatatarian
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Suu

I admit, I hate brussel sprouts (and yes, I've had them, several times and cooked several ways) but I think the bacon grease could very well be the redeeming factor for me to eat them, that looks fucking awesome.

LMNO

The trick is not to blanch them first.

The carmalization matches well with the red pepper flakes, and covering them lets them gently steam so they stay firm and don't get soggy.

If you really want to go nuts, chop up bacon and render it first; remove bacon, go forward with recipe; then add the bacon back in when you add the garlic.  A thick-cut bacon works best for this.