News:

Attempting to do something

Main Menu

ITT, Squiddy reviews beer.

Started by Sir Squid Diddimus, November 30, 2008, 06:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Had some Long Trail last night, the Ale and the IPA.

The Ale wasn't bad, but the IPA was so overly hopped, it was almost undrinkable.

LMNO
-"Almost."

Dimocritus

Honestly, I think over hopping is better than under hopping. At least with an over hopped beer I can taste it. Plus hops go really good with spicy foods, which I like. Anyhow, I'm going to try to get back to the Track for another shot at the Goddess and while I'm there I'm going to look into the alcohol content, who makes it, and where I can get some to bring home. Bars really need a take out menu...
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

Eater of Clowns

I touched upon this in my Dear Jim Koch thread, but to repeat myself:  if you want fucktons of hops done right, I suggest Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA, Southern Tier Unearthly IPA, Harpoon Leviathan Imperial IPA, and my personal favorite Stone Ruination.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Dimocritus

Quote from: The Omnipotent Grinner on December 15, 2009, 08:43:20 PM
I touched upon this in my Dear Jim Koch thread, but to repeat myself:  if you want fucktons of hops done right, I suggest Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA, Southern Tier Unearthly IPA, Harpoon Leviathan Imperial IPA, and my personal favorite Stone Ruination.

You forgot Simcoe.

LMNO

The Leviathan really is very good, but I usually go for the standard Harpoon IPA, if I'm just doing some casual drinking.  I find the balance of malt to hops to be right up my alley.

YMMV, and all that.

Suu

By the way Squid, I'm bringing you bombers of Long Trail Ale and Long Trail Doublebag. The Doublebag IS stronger, but not as strong as an Imperial. They're both pretty malty but I think you'll enjoy them. I may swing by a liquor store here and see about grabbing you the Newport Storm porter I was telling you about.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Dimocritus

Quote from: LMNO on December 16, 2009, 02:14:29 PM
The Leviathan really is very good, but I usually go for the standard Harpoon IPA, if I'm just doing some casual drinking.  I find the balance of malt to hops to be right up my alley.

YMMV, and all that.

I agree, Leviathan is pretty good, though I find the regular Harpoon to be a bit lackluster. If I'm going casual, I usualy like to stick to Sierra Nevada. Decently priced and it tastes good.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Suu on December 16, 2009, 04:03:28 PM
By the way Squid, I'm bringing you bombers of Long Trail Ale and Long Trail Doublebag. The Doublebag IS stronger, but not as strong as an Imperial. They're both pretty malty but I think you'll enjoy them. I may swing by a liquor store here and see about grabbing you the Newport Storm porter I was telling you about.

Love the Doublebag.  You should bring her Hibernator.  Actually just bring Florida the entire Longtrail Brewery (but bring it back with you when you leave).

I don't really like Harpoon's regular IPA that much, as is the case for most single IPAs.  I either like IPAs as total monsters or not at all, I guess.  I think it's the finish.  Most double or Imperial IPAs have a smooth finish whereas standard ones have a nasty aftertaste.

I haven't kept up with Harpoon's Leviathan line.  I liked the Baltic Porter and Imperial IPA quite a bit.  The Quad was wretched, but the Saison was alright.  Has anyone tried any more if there were any?
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Suu

I had Hibernator this weekend. Soooo good. Also their Blackbeary Wheat is killer. Let me see if my roommate feels up for a trip to Yankee Spirits, which is the best store evar and it makes me happy to live so close to Attleboro.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: dimo on December 15, 2009, 09:46:07 PM
Quote from: The Omnipotent Grinner on December 15, 2009, 08:43:20 PM

You forgot Simcoe.

I prefer the 60 to the 90 (DFH), it has a better balance imo and is less bitter. Other than the Stone, I haven't had the others. I've seen the Harpoon Leviathan Imperial IPA, but haven't tried it. Maybe I will.
Simcoe is good, if you mean Weyerbacher's. Their products are usually really decent. Didn't care much for the winter ale though.

Quote from: Suu on December 16, 2009, 04:03:28 PM

Sounds good. I may drag you to my liquor store when you get here and show you what they have to offer. It's not too shabby. (it's also 3 minutes away, HOLLER)

LMNO

Quote from: dimo on December 16, 2009, 04:50:53 PM
Quote from: LMNO on December 16, 2009, 02:14:29 PM

YMMV, and all that.

I agree, Leviathan is pretty good, though I find the regular Harpoon to be a bit lackluster. If I'm going casual, I usualy like to stick to Sierra Nevada. Decently priced and it tastes good.

For my personal tastes, too flowery.

Dimocritus

Quote from: LMNO on December 16, 2009, 07:38:09 PM
For my personal tastes, too flowery.

I can see that. I'm not sure if there's a technical term for it, but I like beers that I can taste for a long time after a sip (duration?), and Sierra Nevada delivers in that aspect.

Quote from: Squid on December 16, 2009, 07:27:46 PM
I prefer the 60 to the 90 (DFH)

I agree with this. I like the alcohol content of a 120, but the taste of a 60.

Quote from: Squid on December 16, 2009, 07:27:46 PM
Simcoe is good, if you mean Weyerbacher's.

Yep. Haven't had any other Weyerbacher's that I can think of so far, but that Simcoe is tasty.

While I'm here, let me just throw this out there. Black+Tan's made with Siberian Nights Thirsty Dog, and Smutty Nose IPA. It's Dee-lish.

Sir Squid Diddimus

I had Harpoon Leviathan Imperial IPA last night.
It was ok. Maltier than my usual ipa, but it was an ipa.

I also had Bells Expedition Stout.
tastes like molasses. not bad, for a stout.

Dimocritus

Went back to the Track to get some of the goddess, but they had already changed the taps  :evil:

Luckily for me, they replaced it with Victory Yakima Imperial IPA. It was surprisingly dark, and I was unsurprisingly drunk.

Suu

Okay Squid, I picked up a single each of Long Trail Hibernator and Newport Storm Storm of the Season (the porter) in addition to the bombers. They have survived the flight.

In addition to the presents I got you at Magic Hat, you will have a very beery Christmas...er...27th.