News:

PD.com: Better than a xylophone made out of live kittens that you play with a tazer.

Main Menu

ITT, Squiddy reviews beer.

Started by Sir Squid Diddimus, November 30, 2008, 06:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

I think the most commonly sold one is Leffe Blonde. I will totally have to find and try their Tripel now.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Do you guys have much by way of local microbreweries back there?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

PeregrineBF

Quote from: Jenne on March 09, 2010, 09:41:10 PM
Quote from: EoC on March 09, 2010, 08:49:28 PM
Quote from: Jenne on March 09, 2010, 08:33:04 PM
Quote from: PeregrineBF on March 09, 2010, 07:44:37 PM
IIRC there was a double-blind study done, found people couldn't detect any difference in taste between organic and non-organic foods.
Of course, that doesn't mean that avoiding trace quantities of pesticide in your food is a bad idea.

http://www.arrogantbastard.com/ http://www.freewebs.com/johnnydrunkenirishman/Oaked%20Arrogant%20Bastard.JPG

Good ale. Excellent malted smokey flavour, not particularly bitter. Mid-lasting aftertaste. Excellent head, medium body. Easily drinkable. 7.2%ABV. Stone Brewery makes some excellent beers.

[being total braggart] I hang out with the fam at Stone quite a bit--they're like 5 mins from my brother's house.  Last time I was there was superbowl Sunday.  But I had their blackberry cider for a change.  Also bought a growler of their Arrogant Bastard, need to go refill it, as a matter of fact. [/total braggart]

I'm jealous.  Stone is my favorite brewery.

Welp, if you're ever in town...
* PeregrineBF lives about 1/2 hour from Stone.
The garden there is awesome. Food is good too. One of my friends used to be a Chef there, but he didn't like some of the other employees so he quit.

Sir Squid Diddimus

I agree
Stone brewery makes some good stuff.

LMNO

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on March 09, 2010, 09:38:38 PM
Quote from: LMNO on March 09, 2010, 07:37:38 PM
Quote from: Calamity Nigel on March 09, 2010, 05:40:23 PM
I've noticed a trend myself. And organic wines are invariably awful.

Wait, what?

Lolonis has a great Old Vine Red, and Coturri wines have some of the best bottles I've ever had.

Never heard of 'em. Regionals?

But the organic wines I've had were predictably awful.

I'm sure there must be decent ones out there, but for the most part I avoid them because I've had so many that sucked.

Both are from CA, and I can regularly get them in MA, so I presume they are available nationwide.

And I wasn't trying to get all huffy - I was genuinely taken aback that you've never had a decent organic wine before.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on March 10, 2010, 04:35:50 PM
Quote from: Calamity Nigel on March 09, 2010, 09:38:38 PM
Quote from: LMNO on March 09, 2010, 07:37:38 PM
Quote from: Calamity Nigel on March 09, 2010, 05:40:23 PM
I've noticed a trend myself. And organic wines are invariably awful.

Wait, what?

Lolonis has a great Old Vine Red, and Coturri wines have some of the best bottles I've ever had.

Never heard of 'em. Regionals?

But the organic wines I've had were predictably awful.

I'm sure there must be decent ones out there, but for the most part I avoid them because I've had so many that sucked.

Both are from CA, and I can regularly get them in MA, so I presume they are available nationwide.

And I wasn't trying to get all huffy - I was genuinely taken aback that you've never had a decent organic wine before.

After sampling a number of truly insipid organic reds, I learned to avoid organic wines, mostly because I don't like paying more for crappier wine, and I don't have the income to go to a wine shop & blow $20-30 on a decent organic wine when I can reliably get a decent local regional non-organic for less than $10.

I mostly buy Columbia and Willamette Valley wines, not California wines, for obvious reasons.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Fair enough.  I shall now refrain from posts about wine in the beer thread.  Sorry for the threadjack, Squiddy.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on March 09, 2010, 10:31:57 PM

You mean here? We mostly get "stuff from Belgian abbeys" and things like that.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Pope Pixie Pickle

The microbrewery thing is more an American thing I think.

I shall have to start reviewing British ales from teh southern breweries, Hopback, Badger and Ringwood.
They make a nice selection of ales.
I have a soft spot for a summer brew by Badger, called Golden Glory. Its light, brewed with peach blossom and is fruity and far too drinkable.

I tried the bottled Grolsch Wheat beer the other week and it was none too shabby. The old man picked it up cheap like. £1 for half a litre. :D

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: LMNO on March 10, 2010, 06:22:40 PM
Fair enough.  I shall now refrain from posts about wine in the beer thread.  Sorry for the threadjack, Squiddy.

I'ownt keer.

I may have learned something here but I'm too tired right now to tell.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on March 11, 2010, 12:12:02 AM
Quote from: Calamity Nigel on March 09, 2010, 10:31:57 PM

You mean here? We mostly get "stuff from Belgian abbeys" and things like that.

Oh, I meant in the Eastern US, because I have been thinking there must be a lot of microbreweries there. But anywhere, really!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rainy Day Pixie on March 11, 2010, 01:45:29 AM
The microbrewery thing is more an American thing I think.

I shall have to start reviewing British ales from teh southern breweries, Hopback, Badger and Ringwood.
They make a nice selection of ales.
I have a soft spot for a summer brew by Badger, called Golden Glory. Its light, brewed with peach blossom and is fruity and far too drinkable.

I tried the bottled Grolsch Wheat beer the other week and it was none too shabby. The old man picked it up cheap like. £1 for half a litre. :D

I would love to hear about small breweries there that aren't available here!

Sir Squid Diddimus

The micro-brewery thing has really taken off on the east coast.
I think the Sam Adams brewery kinda kick started the trend, but they're popping up all over the place here now.
I mean Dunedin FL even has a brewery. They aren't any good, but they exist.
Also, Terrapin brewery out of GA has some really good beer. From GEORGIA.
Yeah, I was shocked too, but their "wake n bake" coffee oatmeal stout is really delicious.

E.O.T.

BEER BUST!

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homepage/86796597.html?cmpid=15585797

SOUNDS LIKE

some bullshit the OLCC would pull in Oregon
"a good fight justifies any cause"

Suu

Like any self-respectin' unemployed 'Merrican. I got a hold of some cash and treated mahself to a Mix a Six...Pulling things at random.

BEER ONE: Kona Brewing Co. Pipeline Coffee Porter from Hawaii...BITCHIN! I drank this one at room temp yesterday after I purchased it and it was wonderful. Delicious and non-complex coffee flavor without an overly bitter porter finish. No lacing really. It was there seasonal offering though, so I don't know how much more is circulating. GS made a coffee porter last year with Kona coffee, and their wasn't much of a taste difference between his and the professional brew. Beer Advocate overall gives it a B+, I think I give it more of an A, only because I have a deep seated love of coffee brews.

BEER TWO: Ommegang Abbey Ale from New York. This is the only other Ommegang brew I've tried besides Hennepin, which is one of my faves. This is a traditional Belgian style dubbel, so it tops off near 8% ABV.  I should have drank it a bit warmer, but I put all the beers in my fridge since I didn't know how warm my room would get during the day. Better to be safe than sorry, and I don't want skunked beer.

The taste was a bit deceiving at first, and I didn't like the initial finish since it seemed a bit too malty, but now that I've been drinking it, it's really smooth and boasts the traditional Belgian spices that make me always think of banana bread. Some lacing. Beer Advocate gave it an A-, I'm inclined to agree.

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."