News:

Testimonial: "I cannot see a slither of a viable defense for this godawful circlejerk board."

Main Menu

ITT, Squiddy reviews beer.

Started by Sir Squid Diddimus, November 30, 2008, 06:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

What is "lacing" in beer terminology?

Those both look interesting and sound good.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

Lacing is the foamy residue left behind on the glass. Thing of it like legs with wine.

One more for tonight, the random pull resulted in...

BEER THREE: Rogue Dead Guy Ale, Oregon. I've never had this before, but it came highly recommended by GS so I went with it. It has a nice honey color and good lacing even after the head disappears in seconds. Hoppy, but not overly so like a pale al. It has hints of caramel malt, citrus and a clean finish. This is a good any time beer. Beer Advocate overall gives in a B+, I'd do the same. It's good, not complex, but not really impressive on my end.

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Eater of Clowns

Dead Guy is great, Double Dead Guy is greater (but not doubly so).
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Suu

The other 3 left in my pack are Blue Point Toasted Lager, Saranac Pomegranate Wheat, and Sammy Smith's Oatmeal Stout. I've had them all before so it was more of a personal favorite pick, but I'll definitely review them as I drink them...another day. *hic*

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh, that makes sense (about the lacing). I've never looked at it before one way or the other.

Dead Guy is awesome. Last time I was at the Rogue brewery I got a case of that in 22-oz bottles and a case of some orange blossom ale that was surprisingly delicious. And very on sale.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

BEER FOUR: Saranac Pomegranate Wheat, upstate New York. I had this on draft at the Mew's Tavern in Wakefield, RI a couple of weeks ago per GS's recommendation. It's fantastic and I thought it would lend itself well to my PB and J lunch. The pomegranate flavor isn't sweet or overpowering at all like most fruit and wheat combos can be, so it's very smooth with the typical soft wheaty finish.Not complex at ALL and perfectly drinkable when you want a nice light, refreshing beer but something different than Blue Moon or Hoegaarden. Excellent lacing. I've yet to be disappointed with anything from Saranac, so if you can get it where you are, I highly recommend it. Beer Advocate gives it a B-, but I'd up the ante to A-. This is just what you want in a wheat beer. No overbearing flavors and easy drinkability.

Also, flared pilsener glass instead of the tulip for the c-c-c-combo breaker!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That sounds delicious!

This was damn tasty. I should have posted it right after drinking, because now "damn tasty" is all I really remember about it.

Everything Bridgeport makes is reliably great. This was just what a Stout should be, with a bit more nutty sweetness than the Lagunitas version.

No, the Vaseline doesn't go with the beer. New Belgium is also pretty reliable, and this wheat beer is no exception. Refreshing, dry, and wheaty.

Triple Zero

I'm currently drinking Hertog Jan Grand Prestige, which is a heavy brown beer with 10% in it, and it has a delicious caramel flavour.

Half of the (10oz) bottle went into the experimental noodle sauce with cilantro bell pepper and oyster sauce which was also delicious :D
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Suu

All Magic Hat singles are on sale for 50 cents a piece at one of our local packies. GS just got the cheapest mix a twelve evar.

Sir Squid Diddimus

um...  :vom:

did not like, do not want. tastes like someone poured a cup of simple syrup into an OE.

Sir Squid Diddimus

TONIGHT!

Lagunitas- Wilco Tango Foxtrot

A dark ale with little to no lacing, the head dissipates quickly, the  color is a rich chocolately brown.
It smells much like an IPA, quite hoppy and bitter, but it doesn't taste bitter. It isn't sweet either. Has a malty maple finish and easy drinkability.
Overall I'd give it a B+. Pretty tasty.

E.O.T.

Quote from: Turdley Burgleson on March 20, 2010, 04:06:13 AM
TONIGHT!

Lagunitas- Wilco Tango Foxtrot

A dark ale with little to no lacing, the head dissipates quickly, the  color is a rich chocolately brown.
It smells much like an IPA, quite hoppy and bitter, but it doesn't taste bitter. It isn't sweet either. Has a malty maple finish and easy drinkability.
Overall I'd give it a B+. Pretty tasty.

NIGEL + I

got this a week or so back. best beer name of the month. It was good, for sure. I did feel that it falls into that 'great Lagunitas beer which all taste kinda similar' category, of Lagunitas, (unlike their 'hairy eyeball' or 'brown shugga')'.
"a good fight justifies any cause"

Eater of Clowns

Hmm.  I wonder if it's a reference to the Yankee Hotel Foxtrot album by Wilco or if they're just spelling WTF in phonetic alphabet?

Edit:  Wait W is Whiskey in phonetic alphabet, not Wilco.  EoC dispatcher fail.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Sir Squid Diddimus

the voice procedure term "wilco" meaning "will comply."

i'm sure the WTF is on purpose

Mesozoic Mister Nigel