News:

We've got artists, scientists, scholars, pranksters, publishers, songwriters, and political activists.  We've subjected Discordia to scrutiny, torn it apart, and put it back together. We've written songs about it, we've got a stack of essays, and, to refer back to your quote above, we criticize the hell out of each other.

Main Menu

ITT, Squiddy reviews beer.

Started by Sir Squid Diddimus, November 30, 2008, 06:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Squid Diddimus

Tonight we got into the Bell's Two Hearted Ale mini keg

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

It tastes so much better in the keg than the bottles. It's light, crisp and very drinkable. Not very filling.

E.O.T.

Quote from: Turdley Burgleson on March 21, 2010, 05:27:16 AM

It tastes so much better in the keg than the bottles. It's light, crisp and very drinkable. Not very filling.

DAMMIT!

you are hawt!
"a good fight justifies any cause"

Sir Squid Diddimus

LOL
Mr Squid says I win the "wife of the year award" for going out clothes shopping and coming home with two of those mini kegs full of Spaten.
(they were a REALLY GOOD deal)

Suu

That's what I need for my fridge! I always see Grolsch ones, and Grolsch is a tasty simple beer, but hopefully I can find some wacky stuff in my travels.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Sir Squid Diddimus

worth mentioning-- make sure either A) you can put down 5 liters yourself, or B) you have help

these only stay carbonated for about 48 hours after you vent them. then they turn back into a pumpkin.
there was a dribble left on the 3rd day and it was bliech, but it was just a dribble so i wasn't sad.

LaughingOtter

At which point you can use the flat beer for a very serviceable fish batter or stew flavoring or marinade.

I'm wondering how many of us brew our own beer.

I'm also a bit upset that Deschutes has chosen not to brew their Cinder Cone Red beer anymore. Sure, The Northwest IPA Red Chair that's replacing it is fine, but nowhere as good as Cinder Cone.

Lagunitas also makes Hop Stoopid for those of us who really dig hoppy beer.
Beer and Pinball, Dammit!

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: LaughingOtter on March 29, 2010, 12:25:26 AM
At which point you can use the flat beer for a very serviceable fish batter or stew flavoring or marinade.

I'm also a bit upset that Deschutes has chosen not to brew their Cinder Cone Red beer anymore. Sure, The Northwest IPA Red Chair that's replacing it is fine, but nowhere as good as Cinder Cone.

Flat or not flat beer is good for fish batter as we're not talking bottom swill o the bottle sitting on the counter for a week. The bubbles make a nice fluffy batter and some even add soda water.

The Mr has brewed his own beer and needs to get on making another batch since I'm getting impatient about it.
But a lot of people here brew their own (well at least a handful that I've seen) also ciders and meads.

I should check out this Dechutes, the Nitro looks good.

Hop Stoopid is pretty good, not my favorite by Lagunites but it's good. I've had some beers that were ridiculously hoppy recently, I can't tell if I like em or if they're just soapy.
Examples- big hoppy monster, 400 pound monkey, hopsecutioner, at least one other I can't think of.

E.O.T.

Quote from: Turdley Burgleson on March 29, 2010, 03:16:43 AM
Quote from: LaughingOtter on March 29, 2010, 12:25:26 AM

Flat or not flat beer is good for fish batter as we're not talking bottom swill o the bottle sitting on the counter for a week. The bubbles make a nice fluffy batter and some even add soda water.

The Mr has brewed his own beer and needs to get on making another batch since I'm getting impatient about it.
But a lot of people here brew their own (well at least a handful that I've seen) also ciders and meads.

I should check out this Dechutes, the Nitro looks good.

Hop Stoopid is pretty good, not my favorite by Lagunites but it's good. I've had some beers that were ridiculously hoppy recently, I can't tell if I like em or if they're just soapy.
Examples- big hoppy monster, 400 pound monkey, hopsecutioner, at least one other I can't think of.

IT'S THE RESULT

of a criminal west coast influence. there is little subtlety to the beer out here, most brewers believe that hops destroying your mouth is good beer.

I DEMAND

six weeks in a Munich brewcentractiencamp for all west coast "brewers".
"a good fight justifies any cause"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It's because hops out here are an extremely profitable small-farm industry, and you have to have a contract with a brewer to grow them commercially.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LaughingOtter

Just to keep the argument going, the Pacific Northwest wins a lot of awards for non-hoppy beers too. During the spring and summer there are any number of hefeweizens and Belgian-style witbiers to choose from, although Widmer and Blue Moon have the spotlights. The Nordic influence is very strong in the Pacific Northwest brewing circles, so, yes, we do ciders, braggots, and meads. Except for the hefeweizen, none of those previous styles use hops at all.

And since Yakima supplies most of the world with hops, that makes it all the more easier to use them!

IPAs are all very well and good for fish and chips, but not when you're having spicy Thai or Indian food. Then you really want a good hefeweizen.

And it's also common for brewers to try to cover up mistake flavors with dry-hopping (but most fellow brewers can tell if this was done).

Beer and Pinball, Dammit!

Jenne

Squiddy, I tried "Honeymoon" from Blue Moon this weekend--it was mild and very very flavorful.  Not as full flavored as Blue Moon, but delicious all the same, and quite sweet as it has honey added (as the name suggests).  A smooth, mild ale, all told.

Suu

I discovered last night that Long Trail makes a coffee stout.  :fap:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Pope Pixie Pickle

the beer of my holiday was the Innis & Gunn strong ale, caramel, vanilla brew of strong assed beer which is tres drinkable and 6.6% ABV and is therefore dangerous!

brewed in Edinburgh, Pix <3

Kai

You know you're getting picky when you're drinking an oatmeal porter and it tastes weak because you've been drinking so many sludge like imperial stouts recently.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

NWC

Quote from: Turdley Burgleson on March 21, 2010, 05:27:16 AM

This is a great beer, I miss it.
PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED