News:

Look at the world emptily, and it will gladly return the favor.

Main Menu

ITT, Squiddy reviews beer.

Started by Sir Squid Diddimus, November 30, 2008, 06:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

Since I'm in Wisconsin, I had to get some New Glarus. If I haven't mentioned it before, and I'm sure I have, you can only purchase New Glarus Brewery beers in Wisconsin. They don't distribute out of the state. I got a twelve bottle sampler which contained two old favorites, Spotted Cow and Fat Squirrel, and two I'd never had before. The short reviews are below.

Stone Soup

This abbey ale (or what feels more like a winter ale to me) is nicely spiced with ginger and cloves, and overall tastes good and feels good going down. However....I don't know if this is normal for abbey ales but it's got a strange smell at times, almost earthy. If I didn't know any better I'd think it would indicate the beer had gone bad, like a skunky smell. It's a bit off putting, but it lessens as the head recedes. May just be the head. Anyway, it's alright, but I probably will not purchase it again.

Moon Man

This is what they have coined a "no coast" pale ale, which means like a more mild and malty IPA. I'm not a big fan of IPA so I was surprised I liked this. It's not a first choice by any means (Fat Squirrel is still the best beer that New Glarus puts out), but it's not bad.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

NWC

I had a Spotted Cow this summer when I was in Wisconsin, and I remember being unimpressed. But it was maybe also just the atmosphere of the restaurant we were at which affected my taste - the restaurant itself was nice, but 9 people out of 10 were obese, and they all ate like pigs. We spent most of the meal saying bad things about them in French.
PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED

Kai

Quote from: NWC on December 21, 2010, 09:55:46 AM
I had a Spotted Cow this summer when I was in Wisconsin, and I remember being unimpressed. But it was maybe also just the atmosphere of the restaurant we were at which affected my taste - the restaurant itself was nice, but 9 people out of 10 were obese, and they all ate like pigs. We spent most of the meal saying bad things about them in French.

It's probably is unimpressive. It's an unfiltered cream ale. But yeah, good beer drinking requires good atmosphere.

I'm from Wisconsin; I don't pretend not to be biased in what I like.

Also, forget what I said about the Stone Soup. That beer needs to be drank at 50 degrees, not ice cold. Tastes and smells good when at the proper temp.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Suu

SQUID WHAT DID YOU THINK OF MY MEAD, DAMMIT.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Sir Squid Diddimus

OH CRAPALOOLA!
Sorry dude I was really busy--

Suu's mead:
The color was a rich to light copper
The smell was mostly cinnamon and light clove with some vague floral scents in there (and honey obviously)
The taste was sweet at first, then the spices-cinnamon, a little clove, some vanilla tones and quite possibly what could have been a chili (not sure if you put one in, but it tasted as if there could have been some heat in the finish)
Overall it's a pretty good short mead, would better with age, reminded me of the one I made a while back.
Not too shabby!

Sir Squid Diddimus

Right now I'm having-

Biere ambree parfumee au tarry suchong
brewed by brasserie bfm sa

???
It's in an 11.15oz little growler bottle.

Anyway, it's an amber ale brewed with smoked tea.

The color reminds me of southern sweet tea. Light brown like a praline and thick.
Very smokey scent with a hint of hops
Tastes like tobacco. smokey tobacco.
it's actually pretty good.

Suu

Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on January 06, 2011, 06:47:52 AM
OH CRAPALOOLA!
Sorry dude I was really busy--

Suu's mead:
The color was a rich to light copper
The smell was mostly cinnamon and light clove with some vague floral scents in there (and honey obviously)
The taste was sweet at first, then the spices-cinnamon, a little clove, some vanilla tones and quite possibly what could have been a chili (not sure if you put one in, but it tasted as if there could have been some heat in the finish)
Overall it's a pretty good short mead, would better with age, reminded me of the one I made a while back.
Not too shabby!

Yep, I put in a Chinese hot pepper.

Richter's krupnikas which you accidentally the whole flask of was brewed with 3.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Sir Squid Diddimus

Jenne

Over the HOLS I had the fruity-schmooty beers that typically I buy my wine drinkers who don't like beer, and my dad was putting it under my mom's nose to make her drink it.  :lulz:  Anyway, I tried the cherry, raspberry and strawberry from this company:

http://www.merchantduvin.com/pages/5_breweries/samsmith_organic_fruitbeer.html

My favorite was the strawberry.

And my husband and I bought:
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10707/39924/?ba=Sconnie

from Trader Joe's, and it's mild, slightly sweet and very smooth.  Too smooth.  Good head on it though.  I'm just used to something a little hoppier, but he wanted something mild but not light.  This seems to fit that description aptly.  Not my fave, but highly drinkable.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Sam Smith's makes a decent oatmeal porter

Precious Moments Zalgo

I like everything I've had from Sam Smith.  Their imperial stout is really good, and theirs is the first IPA I ever had that I liked.  It was a gateway beer.  Now I like most IPA's, even ones I used to not like.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Jenne

I should try something other than that Dunkelweizen then, even though it was tasty enough, sounds like their other stuff might be better.

Suu

I'm drinking a porter right now:

It's Smuttynose Baltic Porter from their Big Beer series. Whoa. I wasn't expecting it to kick my ass. It has notes of coffee, cherries and raisins. It's heavy, and that head came out of fucking nowhere, so you could imagine the lace.

The first sip I winced, not expecting the alcohol since the ABV isn't on the label, but I've warmed up to it. It kinda reminds me of Old Rasputin, even though that's a stout. It's pretty chewy.

Jenne

That looks like a fine porter.  Yum.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Holy shit 5.49 for SMUTTYNOSE?!?!?
wow.

I've had their robust porter but not this one. I'll have to give it a shot and let you know what I think. I'm interested to see their idea of a "baltic" porter.