News:

PD.com - you don't even believe in nihilism anymore

Main Menu

On Being a Nobody

Started by Brotep, December 17, 2008, 03:46:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elder Iptuous

I think i understand what you're getting at, but it seems like mincing words when you are willing to delineate between groups of people and say that wanting to live exclusively with one group is qualitatively different than wanting to live away from all the others.

AFK

Quote from: Iptuous on December 18, 2008, 09:31:08 PM
I think i understand what you're getting at, but it seems like mincing words when you are willing to delineate between groups of people and say that wanting to live exclusively with one group is qualitatively different than wanting to live away from all the others.

Not really.  I like living with the people in my current neighborhood because they are quiet and respect privacy.  I like living away from the people in my old neighborhood because they were loud and nosy. 

One group has an attractive quality while the other has a repulsive quality. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on December 18, 2008, 09:38:38 PM
Quote from: Iptuous on December 18, 2008, 09:31:08 PM

Not really.  I like living with the people in my current neighborhood because they are quiet and respect privacy.  I like living away from the people in my old neighborhood because they were loud and nosy. 

One group has an attractive quality while the other has a repulsive quality. 

ok. your delineation there is that you want to live with people that are quiet.  that's it.
if someone wants to live exclusively with black people, then that likewise establishes who they do and don't want to live with....

aaaaaaaanyways....
So. the definition is that one is racist iff they believe that any one race is superior of inferior to another....

Now.  What do you think of someone who does not hold that to be true, but does not seek to actively quell this thought pattern in others, or would even flip that switch if he had the magic power to do away with it?  As i posited in the beginning, it is the differentiation and segregation of peoples that has led to the beautiful diversity of cultures in the first place, right?  So the fighting and hating is all 'for the glory of discord-i-a!', no?

Brotep

I will agree that racism is a throwback to tribalism.

There is safety in numbers, but it is harder to sustain a larger population.

Let's say there's a famine.  Tribalism and racism give a convenient way of dividing people so that they can duke it out over available food instead of everyone starving.