News:

PD.com: Trimming your hair in accordance with the anarchoprimitivist lifestyle

Main Menu

CRAZY PREPARED

Started by Richter, January 23, 2009, 08:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richter

Reminder:  Cotton, in a wet environment is DEATH.

If cotton clothes get wet, they will leach heat out of your body as they dry. You are better off removing them and hanging around naked. 
Yes, I've tried this.  Everyone EXCEPT the ones trained in surviving cold / wet conditions thought I was crazy.  Your body can heat itself decently when it has to.  (How LONG it can do this, however depends on the person and the conditions.)   

Fabrics that won't (off the top of my head) :  WOOL.  POLY (ester and propylene).  RAYON.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

East Coast Hustle

acrylic is fucking AWESOME. It has most of the same properties as wool but it is lighter and (unless you're like me and only buy merino) more comfortable.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cain

http://www.empowerthyself.com/overview

Heard this might be useful, though I haven't really had a chance to look much.

Cainad (dec.)

ProTip: Don't have Raynaud's Syndrome.

If civilization degrades to the point where getting hot water and just plain ol' warmth become a serious problem, people like me are gonna lose our fingers come winter.

Rumckle

Also, Yatto reminded me of something I was thinking about:
Crossbow vs Bow, what's the opinion?
both in ease to make (and make well), and usefulness in such situations.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

willem

QuoteIf cotton clothes get wet, they will leach heat out of your body as they dry. You are better off removing them and hanging around naked.
Yes, I've tried this.  Everyone EXCEPT the ones trained in surviving cold / wet conditions thought I was crazy.

And the ones who have basic knowledge of thermodynamics... or just plain everyday cooling systems - what happens when liquids evaporate. :)

Requia ☣

Quote from: Rumckle on February 07, 2009, 11:40:13 AM

Unless you're already good with a bow, or else are in it for an extremely long haul, don't bother, crossbows are probably easier to use, and might be easier to make, assuming you have the wreckage of civilization to salvage parts from.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Requiem on February 07, 2009, 07:41:08 PM
Quote from: Rumckle on February 07, 2009, 11:40:13 AM

Unless you're already good with a bow, or else are in it for an extremely long haul, don't bother, crossbows are probably easier to use, and might be easier to make, assuming you have the wreckage of civilization to salvage parts from.

My assumption is that if we're at a point where I'm contemplating needing a bow, it's a permanent situation. Being able to teach your kids to make a bow from natural materials could, at that point, mean survival of the family line.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Richter

Quote from: willem on February 07, 2009, 02:33:18 PM
QuoteIf cotton clothes get wet, they will leach heat out of your body as they dry. You are better off removing them and hanging around naked.
Yes, I've tried this.  Everyone EXCEPT the ones trained in surviving cold / wet conditions thought I was crazy.

And the ones who have basic knowledge of thermodynamics... or just plain everyday cooling systems - what happens when liquids evaporate. :)

The ones who said I was doing it right were trained in survival by the US Coast Guard.

:)  Yeah though, crazy prepared often means SEEMING crazy to the less prepared.

Then it works, and they STFU.
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Kai

Quote from: Cainad on February 07, 2009, 05:28:18 AM
ProTip: Don't have Raynaud's Syndrome.

If civilization degrades to the point where getting hot water and just plain ol' warmth become a serious problem, people like me are gonna lose our fingers come winter.

And me.

The only way I can keep warm hands is by being in a rather warm place these days. Hot water is an only temporary fix.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

the last yatto

crossbows can be fired with only one hand,
and can use attachments much easiler like grappling hook, or repeater clip
and i do believe both can be made with seminatural materials
(I would say all natural but having a metal crossbar is a must, imho)
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Richter

Scavenge a truck's leaf spring and emergency brake cable for the crossbar / string.  One method advised scavenging both of a deuce and a half truck, and carving the stock out of the densest hardwood you can get.  You'll need a pretty serious release lever setup, and a come - along to cock the thing, but the draw weight should place it almost in the anti - material category.

You probably could weld the crossbar to a peice of structural steel instead of a wood stock, but unless you really knew what you were doing, I could see the welds getting broken easily by the stress.

Rod stock or rebar with a tip ground on for ammo.

BTW: This all annoys the SHIT out of me.  I saw an IDEAL leaf spring on the road this morning, but couldn't stop to grab it  :argh!:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

What good is that going to do your descendants in 150 years?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Requia ☣

Presumably, it will keep you fed long enough to figure out how to make glue from tree sap (or whatever the fuck you make glue out of) and flint knives, so you can make a more traditional bow.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yes but, following the conversation, first it might be good to know HOW to make a traditional bow...