News:

Several times a month, I will be in a store aisle reaching for something and feel a hand going up the inside of my thigh. When I turn around to find myself alone with a woman, and ask her if she would prefer me to hold still so she can get a better feel for the situation, oftentimes she will act "shocked" claiming nothing had happened, it must be somebody else...

Main Menu

CRAZY PREPARED

Started by Richter, January 23, 2009, 08:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeky

Quote from: Regret on February 06, 2010, 02:18:02 AM
Quote from: Mistress Freeky on February 05, 2010, 06:21:16 PM
So for someone who has never got in a fight, and doesn't have the mindset for fucking them badly, what would you suggest they carry?
knowledge of basic physics and basic anatomy.
find weak spots and hit them with a lever and/or weight.

i'd give more tips but i am drunked out of my gourd(wtf is a gourd?) and have decided to refrain.

A gourd is like a squash. Or maybe gourds are made OUT of squashes by hollowing them and drying them out, I forget. People used to put booze in them, I'm pretty sure.

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on February 06, 2010, 08:01:44 PM
Quote from: Richter on February 05, 2010, 10:52:20 PM
Every weapon is another set of reactions to train, keep up, and remember under adrenaline. 
Basic self defense, drill it, and keep up the general fitness to apply it and RUN.  I'm confident Roger can give you pointers on both.

that's why I suggested the derringer. You really don't need to have any proficiency in traditional firearm use to be able to use one effectively, since they're only to be used at point-blank range. I agree that running away from a violent confrontation should almost always be your first choice, but in an urban environment where you run a much higher risk of being cornered or having your egress otherwise impeded, it's good to have a backup and even better if that backup is as close to a guaranteed situation-ender as you can find, short of napalm.

Unless it goes off in your pocket or your assailant takes it from you, which happens more often than people defend themselves with it. Most don't bother to to get any training in close quarters combat, let alone firearms training. Don't forget MF was asking about things mean for people who don't have the stomach for this sort of thing.

Richter

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Annabel the Destroyer on February 08, 2010, 05:27:25 AM
Every weapon is another set of reactions to train, keep up, and remember under adrenaline. 
Basic self defense, drill it, and keep up the general fitness to apply it and RUN.  I'm confident Roger can give you pointers on both.

that's why I suggested the derringer. You really don't need to have any proficiency in traditional firearm use to be able to use one effectively, since they're only to be used at point-blank range. I agree that running away from a violent confrontation should almost always be your first choice, but in an urban environment where you run a much higher risk of being cornered or having your egress otherwise impeded, it's good to have a backup and even better if that backup is as close to a guaranteed situation-ender as you can find, short of napalm.

Unless it goes off in your pocket or your assailant takes it from you, which happens more often than people defend themselves with it. Most don't bother to to get any training in close quarters combat, let alone firearms training. Don't forget MF was asking about things mean for people who don't have the stomach for this sort of thing.

umm, if you shoot yourself in the leg or allow an assailant to take a DERRINGER from you (not a regular pistol, a friggin DERRINGER), then you are probably not cut out for surviving. Derringers are specificially meant to be a failsafe defense option for people with no training and who have never fired a gun before.

And if you don't have the stomach for this sort of thing, well, I suspect this decade is going to be rough on you.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

also, citation needed.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Doktor Howl

Freeky couldn't shoot anyone to save her own life.  It's just not in her programming.

She might if her monkey was threatened, of course.  But she'd be better off with bear spray or a spike.
Molon Lube

Remington

The best defense is not being there, tbh.

Also, you need a special license in Canada if you want a handgun.
Is it plugged in?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Remington on February 09, 2010, 05:07:18 PM

Sometimes "there" comes to you, Remington.

The ONE thing I like about Arizona is I can be armed to the tits if I want.  I usually don't carry, but I can.
Molon Lube

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on February 09, 2010, 04:28:32 PM
Basic self defense, drill it, and keep up the general fitness to apply it and RUN.  I'm confident Roger can give you pointers on both.

umm, if you shoot yourself in the leg or allow an assailant to take a DERRINGER from you (not a regular pistol, a friggin DERRINGER), then you are probably not cut out for surviving. Derringers are specificially meant to be a failsafe defense option for people with no training and who have never fired a gun before.

And if you don't have the stomach for this sort of thing, well, I suspect this decade is going to be rough on you.

There's no such thing as a failsafe weapon. Even highly trained people 1) miss entirely when the target is a few feet away and 2) have been injured with their own weapons. Most people who own firearms do not have extensive training in close quarters combat.

Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on February 09, 2010, 04:29:11 PM

also, citation needed.

There were a series of studies done that showed the odds of being injured by your own weapon are greater than the odds of successfully using it in self defense. Can't find it at the moment but I will try to link it later. For now I'll say that, unless you have been trained, it's a very stupid idea to carry a gun. Shit, it's a bad idea to even own one. If you own one and have no training, get some. The NRA offers a wide variety of firearms training. This isn't directed towards you Hustle, but to anyone who has a gun or is considering one and doesn't have any training. I'm guessing you've already been schooled on firearms safety, etc.

EDIT: Ok, here's an AP story that shows 8% of Rhode Island officers have had their own weapons used against them, not what I'm referring to but it does show that even with training this sort of shit happens:
http://www.policeone.com/close-quarters-combat/articles/100228-Cases-of-Officers-Killed-by-Their-Own-Guns-Likely-Will-Not-Change-R-I-Policies/

I'm not espousing that nobody should own a gun, I'm just saying that, if you intend to own one and ESPECIALLY if you intend to carry one you need to learn how to use it properly.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Annabel the Destroyer on February 09, 2010, 05:36:16 PM

There were a series of studies done that showed the odds of being injured by your own weapon are greater than the odds of successfully using it in self defense. Can't find it at the moment but I will try to link it later. For now I'll say that, unless you have been trained, it's a very stupid idea to carry a gun. Shit, it's a bad idea to even own one. If you own one and have no training, get some. The NRA offers a wide variety of firearms training. This isn't directed towards you Hustle, but to anyone who has a gun or is considering one and doesn't have any training. I'm guessing you've already been schooled on firearms safety, etc.

I've heard of these studies, but never seen them.  I can, however, state that in my personal experience, I have only known two people who successfully used a pistol to defend themselves, and I've known more than a dozen that have killed or injured themselves or others accidentally or through stupidity.

That's anecdotal as hell, I realize, but there you have it.
Molon Lube

Richter

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 09, 2010, 05:24:28 PM

Sometimes "there" comes to you, Remington.

The ONE thing I like about Arizona is I can be armed to the tits if I want.  I usually don't carry, but I can.

THIS.
This the main tenant of my philosophy of THE DUMB.  No matter how carefully you keep your own shit, other people will GUARANTEE that the shit comes to you once in a while.  

Even when it does come to you, packing heat increases your likeihood of wanting to solve the problem by heaving to and firing a broadside. (Look up the Weapons Effect.  Monkey have tool, monkey wants to use tool to solve problem.)  Not that this doesn't work, as long as you pull faster, but it limits working with other solutions, and take situation right into a kill / be killed one.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

East Coast Hustle

no, you need a special license in Canada if you want the government to be OK with you owning a handgun.

big difference.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Richter on February 09, 2010, 05:50:31 PM
Not that this doesn't work, as long as you pull faster, but it limits working with other solutions, and take situation right into a kill / be killed one.

Pulling slower is actually better, Richter.  The very best gunfighters are (and were) the guys who have the nerve to take an aimed shot while someone blazes away at them.  Fast and accurate is best, but just accurate is better than just fast.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on February 09, 2010, 05:55:50 PM

no, you need a special license in Canada if you want the government to be OK with you owning a handgun.

big difference.

Yeah, but who wants to wind up in one of their reeducation camps near Yellow Knife?
Molon Lube

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Annabel the Destroyer on February 09, 2010, 05:36:16 PM
Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on February 09, 2010, 04:28:32 PM
Basic self defense, drill it, and keep up the general fitness to apply it and RUN.  I'm confident Roger can give you pointers on both.

There's no such thing as a failsafe weapon. Even highly trained people 1) miss entirely when the target is a few feet away and 2) have been injured with their own weapons. Most people who own firearms do not have extensive training in close quarters combat.

Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on February 09, 2010, 04:29:11 PM

also, citation needed.

EDIT: Ok, here's an AP story that shows 8% of Rhode Island officers have had their own weapons used against them, not what I'm referring to but it does show that even with training this sort of shit happens:
http://www.policeone.com/close-quarters-combat/articles/100228-Cases-of-Officers-Killed-by-Their-Own-Guns-Likely-Will-Not-Change-R-I-Policies/

I'm not espousing that nobody should own a gun, I'm just saying that, if you intend to own one and ESPECIALLY if you intend to carry one you need to learn how to use it properly.

you DO know what a Derringer is, right?

it's a single-shot (sometimes two shots in a double-barrel configuration) palm-sized pistol that is meant to ONLY be used at point-blank range.

If you can miss your target when your gun is jammed into the target's guts, well, evolution does not favor you.