News:

"Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed." - Jesus

Main Menu

Intermittens #7 Operation Mindfuck

Started by Sheered Völva, February 05, 2009, 05:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheered Völva

Sheered Völva

In case anyone was wondering, yes, I'm still here, and yes, I still plan to do an Intermittens issue.  I pretty much have everything I need, except for a couple things I'm still waiting for (if this means you, and you know who you are, please get them to me as soon as you can.)

The other thing I need, which I've been putting off, is learning how to use the Scribble program, or Scribus or whatever it's called.  Triple Zero says 'READ THE MOTHERFUCKING TUTORIAL" before doing anything, which I hate doing.  I prefer to jump in the water with both feet and hope I don't land on a crocodile.  I like using programs, not learning how to use them.  Sigh.

If anyone else is sinking like me, read the layout stuff at http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=20348.0.  I guess to be a good Discordian editor I need to learn the rules.  Double Sigh.

Cramulus

don't read the tutorial then

you need a written invitation to do what you want?

Sheered Völva

Quote from: Cramulus on May 13, 2009, 02:10:22 AM
don't read the tutorial then

you need a written invitation to do what you want?
Sure do. Of course I usually write my own. But this time, just to be different, I'm going to try following a more experienced person's advice.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Sheered Völva on May 13, 2009, 01:40:25 AM
The other thing I need, which I've been putting off, is learning how to use the Scribble program, or Scribus or whatever it's called.  Triple Zero says 'READ THE MOTHERFUCKING TUTORIAL" before doing anything, which I hate doing.  I prefer to jump in the water with both feet and hope I don't land on a crocodile.  I like using programs, not learning how to use them.  Sigh.

If anyone else is sinking like me, read the layout stuff at http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=20348.0.  I guess to be a good Discordian editor I need to learn the rules.  Double Sigh.

Intermittens #5 was made almost entirely by trial and error learning. I don't think I ever did more than glance at the manual once or twice.

Triple Zero

> Triple Zero says 'READ THE MOTHERFUCKING TUTORIAL" before doing anything, which I hate doing.

disliking it on principle is quite arrogant. of course this is a for-fun project, so as Cram said, do whatever you like. at work I absolutely despise working with people that think they are above reading manuals, because they always end up asking me dumb questions and doing really basic things the really hard way because they never figure out the proper way to do it as explained in the manual, which all could have been prevented if they had taken the 10 minutes to step down from their autodidact hacker pedestal into the common lowly world of the n00b and read the fucking manual.

but that's in my work situation.

as I said, this is for fun, so if you get more joy out of plunging right in, go ahead and do so.

it was just some advice, the tutorial is quite short, and for me contained quite a few very useful things that I would not have figured out easily on my own

(which is IMO a design failure on Scribus' part, but intuitive user interfaces are just something that OS software doesnt seem to excel in).
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Sheered Völva

Thanks for the advice.

Cainad: The problem is I haven't even gotten to the trial and error part.  I'd already laid out some of the magazine in Print Shop which I then learned makes huge pdf files if you want quality.  I don't know how to convert that to Scribus, so am starting all over from scratch.  :x  Once I loaded Scribus, the readme file told me I shouldn't have loaded it until after I loaded Ghostscript.  It reminded me of the M*A*S*H episode where they were trying to defuse a bomb without knowing what they were  doing.  After they followed a step in the step-by-step directions, the manual said, "but first...."

Triple Zero: I didn't intend for it to sound like I'm above reading manuals.  But when I try it, I tend to get confused, bored or both.  Too many of them sound like they were originally written in Japanese by someone with three PhD's, and then translated into English by someone else writing at a fifth grade level.  ("All your base are belong to us.")  The tutorial, however, looks like it's well written and simple enough that even I can understand it.  So for once I'm following the advice of someone more experienced.  :)

Sheered Völva

I was originally going to have my issue come out in May 2009.  But as Cramulus released a May issue, I'm holding it off.  I think its good to give people time to focus on one collection of crap before we shove another one at them.

If P3nT4gR4m wants to release the Discordia in Theory and Practice before mine or after mine, either one is OK.

Cramulus

well it's June now!

P3nt has stated he's working at a very slow pace. I don't mean to speak for him, but I would be very surprised if he wanted you to hold off publishing until he finished.  :p

I can't wait to read it, volva! I am expecting some very interesting mindfucks...

Sheered Völva

Quote from: Cramulus on June 01, 2009, 08:16:16 PM
well it's June now!
Ah, damn.  Does this mean I have to admit I simply haven't finished it yet?
P3nt has stated he's working at a very slow pace. I don't mean to speak for him, but I would be very surprised if he wanted you to hold off publishing until he finished.  :p
P3nT4gR4m just told me the same thing.  Only he did speak for him.
I can't wait to read it, volva! I am expecting some very interesting mindfucks...
Yeah, I can't wait to read it either. Because that means I'll have finished it!

the last yatto

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 14, 2009, 02:17:28 AM
Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on June 14, 2009, 01:03:56 AM
Okay. So what does [TITCM] mean?

Comes from an old FC bot that constantly said:

"Imagine, the shit flying off his cock, like a motorcycle stuck in the mud."

Then one day, TDB says, instead of "THIS IS THE CORRECT ANSWER", "THIS IS THE CORRECT MOTORCYCLE".

The rest is history.

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

the last yatto

Quote from: rubickspoop on June 19, 2009, 02:21:41 PM
I like to commit a random act of kindness (or on a bad day, meanness) every day
to keep from getting bogged down. [See] I get my adrenaline rushes from fucking with strangers.
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Iason Ouabache

I don't know if this goes along with your theme but I demand that the sentence  "The relief you are now experiencing is made possible by a gift from Michael Zinman." appears somewhere in an upcoming issue of Intermittens.

http://underthebutton.com/2008/12/pissing-for-the-penn-fund
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Sheered Völva

I did say I planned this issue for July, didn't I?

Yes, I know it's my fault I'm later than expected. I've never used Scribus (the brief tutorial covers a fraction of what I want to know and is for a much earlier version). And I'm spending a lot more time that I expected editing, finding photos that we won't get sued for using, convincing people to create new art and write new pieces for the issue, digging up great OM material that has never been published in print or online, trying to find to whom credit is due, filling in holes here and there, realizing that I have too much stuff for my issue and have to cut some really good stuff out, realizing I didn't leave enough space for something I just have to put in, etc.

But I am almost done. I'm still doing a lot of tweaking here and there, but have virtually all of it laid out. It should be done very soon. Goddess willing.

Sheered Völva

Quote from: Jason Ouabache on June 23, 2009, 11:56:10 PM
I don't know if this goes along with your theme but I demand that the sentence  "The relief you are now experiencing is made possible by a gift from Michael Zinman." appears somewhere in an upcoming issue of Intermittens.

http://underthebutton.com/2008/12/pissing-for-the-penn-fund

Hey, some great filler and a mini OM. Look for it in the coming issue.