Suu demands to know what you are listening to!

Started by Suu, February 28, 2009, 09:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Huh.  I guess I'm out of practice, because I'm not hearing any of your adjectives.It sounds slightly more like prog metal, tbh.  Which track do you think best represents their sound?

Cain

I was just rewatching season 1 of Altered Carbon, so naturally I'm listening to this.

(NSFW scene for those who have not have yet seen it)

altered

Quote from: LMNO on April 02, 2020, 02:46:53 PM
Huh.  I guess I'm out of practice, because I'm not hearing any of your adjectives.It sounds slightly more like prog metal, tbh.  Which track do you think best represents their sound?

The vocalist is very much a soul singer, almost no alteration at all in the transplant to psych/metal.

The thrash (though to be fair this is definitely early, just diversified from crossover type thrash) comes through very strongly in Possession, with those blastbeats (which is REALLY WEIRD with the soul vocals), and Oya has some ugly, chugging speed metal riffs. On the flip side, Bloodstones practically sounds like Fushitsusha with a bit more jazz influence and the vocals.

Legba's Feast really shows off the whole mixture, which I suppose has a prog metal "feel" but is far more simplistic and driving than prog tends to be. Prog by way of Motörhead maybe, but that's missing the stoner metal vibe from the heavy psych riffs and the almost out of place soul vocals.

It's also possible I'm misattributing elements, but reviewers have mentioned heavy psych influence (though they seem to miss that the upbeat metallic sections are based around skank beats, which really gives a thrashy feeling).
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

41D5K1N6

L0rd Z0ltan 41D5K1N6 Kataskopos,
more discordian than 23 apples in a pentagon,
interdimensional God-Shaman 420° Level V,
german amBASSador for MK Cultra,
GröVoRz (Greatest Dumbass of all Spime) of Lochstettenweiler in der Blase,
instruckted and soaked leaking In- and Expert of the Research Institute for Reality and Illusion,
as well as member of the Caucus of Secret Hairmen within the ℧oS,
furtherless Chonk and temporary Superviser of the Labor Circle for Survival Artistry of the houly O⁙D⁙D⁙,
and least Greatest and Sole Majoestic Megagigaultraipspissimus and Desecrated Depthpriest of HM,ERIS
(lvlup soon)

(ง ͡ʘ ͜ʖ ͡ʘ)ง ( ͡ಥ ͜ʖ ͡ಥ) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ‾ʖ̫‾) ( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)

If I'm not allowed to believe what I read, should I read what I believe?
Your mom is like a squid: has eight arms and sqirts dark fluids

minuspace

minuspace

Suu

*Dave Matthews track comes around on one of my playlists*

Jephph: Really?

Me: What?

Jephph: Dave Matthews? Since when do you listen to them?

Me: Um...since the 90s?

Jephph: It's just you always listen to such dark shit.

Me: I can listen to light shit too. I can listen to whatever shit I want. That's the magic about music.  :|

Been married for 6 years and all of a sudden he realizes I listen to more than industrial. I have harddrives full of albums, binders full of CDs, and it takes being stuck with me in the house for days.

What will I ruin for him tomorrow?
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

altered

Look up Aivar Teppo. Estonian concertina player. Does absolutely brilliant polka. I'm not fucking joking. Unfortunately, there's nothing useful on YouTube. A sampling, however:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1OrvKzVtnkM

That said, this has NOTHING on the dude's studio albums. I saw a (sadly lost, apparently) live recording of him playing one of his upbeat songs, and the man is a menace on the concertina. Absolutely must-hear. Best album is probably Tuuleveski Polka, if you can find it. When I have money again I might invest a considerable amount into acquiring another copy.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

41D5K1N6

Try Sofia Gubaidulina - De Profundis

Or Headphone Music - Babylon Falling, but it's less upfuckshit, more light reggae brass tunes, very enjoyable nevertheless
L0rd Z0ltan 41D5K1N6 Kataskopos,
more discordian than 23 apples in a pentagon,
interdimensional God-Shaman 420° Level V,
german amBASSador for MK Cultra,
GröVoRz (Greatest Dumbass of all Spime) of Lochstettenweiler in der Blase,
instruckted and soaked leaking In- and Expert of the Research Institute for Reality and Illusion,
as well as member of the Caucus of Secret Hairmen within the ℧oS,
furtherless Chonk and temporary Superviser of the Labor Circle for Survival Artistry of the houly O⁙D⁙D⁙,
and least Greatest and Sole Majoestic Megagigaultraipspissimus and Desecrated Depthpriest of HM,ERIS
(lvlup soon)

(ง ͡ʘ ͜ʖ ͡ʘ)ง ( ͡ಥ ͜ʖ ͡ಥ) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ‾ʖ̫‾) ( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)

If I'm not allowed to believe what I read, should I read what I believe?
Your mom is like a squid: has eight arms and sqirts dark fluids

Suu

Quote from: altered on April 04, 2020, 05:37:02 AM
Look up Aivar Teppo. Estonian concertina player. Does absolutely brilliant polka. I'm not fucking joking. Unfortunately, there's nothing useful on YouTube. A sampling, however:

That said, this has NOTHING on the dude's studio albums. I saw a (sadly lost, apparently) live recording of him playing one of his upbeat songs, and the man is a menace on the concertina. Absolutely must-hear. Best album is probably Tuuleveski Polka, if you can find it. When I have money again I might invest a considerable amount into acquiring another copy.

Oh, DUDE. This is amazing.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

altered

Quote from: Suu on April 04, 2020, 02:49:13 PM
Quote from: altered on April 04, 2020, 05:37:02 AM

Oh, DUDE. This is amazing.

My go to for explaining my weird music tastes is to mention I have a FAVORITE polka album, and also a least favorite. (Americans just cannot do polka, okay. Neither can the French, though, and their attempts are far more overwhelmingly garbage.)

Someone questioned this.

Cramulus

The Wizard Joseph

You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: altered on April 02, 2020, 06:39:49 AM
I also unironically enjoy this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_5WqUK-G7KQ
Works for me.  I dig the brass line that starts around 2:10, gives it a bit of a 'James Bond opening theme' feel.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.