News:

PD.com: We'll make you an offer you can't understand.

Main Menu

Help me cook with anchovies

Started by nostalgicBadger, May 03, 2009, 02:08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on May 04, 2009, 02:42:47 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on May 04, 2009, 11:45:19 AM
pizza napoletana = pizza with tomatosauce, anchovies, capers and mozarella. sometimes other stuff like black olives. i noticed that americans think this is a weird recipe. shows what they know about italian cuisine, I suppose.

pizza as it exists today is an american food, so we get to decide what is or isn't weird.

yeah, except that's bullshit.

it's not an "american food" just as fries arent, people make it different in different parts of the world.

the difference over here between "american style" pizzas and italian pizzas, you get the first type at fast-food joints and the frozen-meal section of the supermarket, and the latter at actual restaurants. (delivery does both)

Quotealso, there are plenty of americans who love canned anchovies on their pizza. Europe does not have a monopoly on people with bad taste.

i didnt mean to imply that, just that I noticed that when describing my favourite types of pizza, a lot of americans tend to think it's weird.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

nostalgicBadger

Pizza with anchovies, capers and black olives sounds delicious. I normally order my pizza with mushrooms and anchovies, or black olives, but the capers are new. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how many pizza shops keep capers on hand, since it's a little unusual.

My dad was a chef at a pizzaria for a couple of years when he was young, and he gave me an excellent pizza dough recipe. Unfortunately, I don't have a stone, or a board, or know of a place to buy high gluten flour in bulk, so I have not been making my own pizza lately. This recent anchovy kick is providing some motivation, however.

Anyway, thanks for all the great idea! The anchovy butter sounds amazing, and I might throw some together tonight to use in place of tapanade for snacks.
meh.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I am sort of OK with anchovies on pizza as long as they're paired with fresh tomatoes and basil, but I hate hate hate capers.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

capers and anchovies seems a little redundant. I mean, how much salt do you need?
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

nostalgicBadger

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on May 05, 2009, 02:46:25 AM
capers and anchovies seems a little redundant. I mean, how much salt do you need?

MOAR
meh.

BADGE OF HONOR

There's a restaurant in town that has pizza certified by the neopolitan pizza authority.  No kidding.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

East Coast Hustle

wonder how much they had to pay for that?

:lulz:

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

BADGE OF HONOR

It's actually really good pizza so I don't mind the pretentiousness.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Dysfunctional Cunt

There is an actual Napolean Pizza Authority?

:lulz:

LMNO

If not, there's a new comic book in the making....

Cain

I think its an EU regulation.  People kept labelling disease-infested swine from SE Asia as "authentic Parma ham" so they passed a law so that anything with a geographic description had to actually come from or be ceritified in that area.  I think they claimed it was copyright infringement or something, which is almost plausible.

God knows why someone thought that was necessary in America, though.

East Coast Hustle

in America, restaurants will pay to be "certified" by an "authorized organization" or some such shit.

As evidence, I present the fact that Peter Vella boxed wine has won a James Beard award.

ECH,
has been personally solicited for several such bullshit certifications and awards, prefers to just make good food.

Jenne

This thread is awesome, by the way, even the dick-waving over whose pizza is better or more authentic. 

I have to say that I've had Italian, French and Spanish pizza in those same countries...*shrug*...and you take a well-heeled chef from anyfuckingwhere, and they have tremendously delicious food.  Depends on where you get it from and who makes it, but not where they were birthed from just saying.

(as an aside:  Most Americans think Chef Boyardee and Kraft Macaroni and Cheese are authentic homemade foodstuffs, so I wouldn't use how familiar they are with European ways of making pizza as a litmus for anything other than fucktardry.)

nostalgicBadger

Quote from: Jenne on May 05, 2009, 05:21:05 PM
(as an aside:  Most Americans think Chef Boyardee and Kraft Macaroni and Cheese are authentic homemade foodstuffs[...])

Really?
meh.

Bruno

Quote from: nostalgicBadger on May 05, 2009, 06:48:50 PM
Quote from: Jenne on May 05, 2009, 05:21:05 PM
(as an aside:  Most Americans think Chef Boyardee and Kraft Macaroni and Cheese are authentic homemade foodstuffs[...])

Really?

Maybe in comparison to eating at a restaurant, or delivery. Since the death of the stay-at-home mom, a lot of people have stopped eating food that requires self-assembly.
Formerly something else...