News:

Hand drawn by monkeys in sweat-shop conditions.

Main Menu

How to Shrink a Quarter WITH SCIENCE!

Started by Iason Ouabache, June 23, 2009, 10:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richter

"Honey, I Shrunk the Kid's College Fund."
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Arafelis

"OTOH, I shook up your head...I must be doing something right.What's wrong with schisms?  Malaclypse the younger DID say "Discordians need to DISORGANIZE."  If my babbling causes a few sparks, well hell...it beats having us backslide into our own little greyness." - The Good Reverend Roger

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Arafelis

Quote from: Nigel on June 25, 2009, 01:25:40 AM
Quote from: Arafelis on June 25, 2009, 01:22:21 AM
I think I missed a meme.  Or something.

Maybe chemistry.

Eh?  Part of the inside of a quarter is empty space.
"OTOH, I shook up your head...I must be doing something right.What's wrong with schisms?  Malaclypse the younger DID say "Discordians need to DISORGANIZE."  If my babbling causes a few sparks, well hell...it beats having us backslide into our own little greyness." - The Good Reverend Roger

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Arafelis on June 25, 2009, 01:37:12 AM

Maybe chemistry.

What part? The copper part, or the nickel part?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Golden Applesauce

The shrunk one does look thicker.  It looks like the edges rounded a little.

Quote from: Arafelis on June 25, 2009, 01:37:12 AM

Maybe chemistry.

Um, you can't make a solid piece of metal denser without changing its crystal structure somehow, or vaporizing it and subjecting it to enormous pressures.  And I don't happen to know of any metals having alternate possible crystal structures like that.  There's a reason periodic tables are able to list density for metals.  (As a non-metal example, diamond and graphite have different structures and slightly different densities, despite both being solid carbon.)

And the empty space is where the electrons repel each other.  If you actually compressed something enough so that that space shruck, the object would immediately explode in a fit of static electrical potential.  Or make a fusion bomb, if you made it dense enough and were using the right metal.  (Looking at you, Lithium-6.)
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Golden Applesauce

I guess if you formed an alloy of two different metals, the resulting alloy could have a different density than the average of the two metals you started with.  This is related to how spheres of different sizes pack together (and crystal structures too.)

To see that in action mix .5 L pure water and .5 L pure methanol in a 1 L beaker.  You'll have room left over.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: GA on June 25, 2009, 01:56:45 AM
I guess if you formed an alloy of two different metals, the resulting alloy could have a different density than the average of the two metals you started with.  This is related to how spheres of different sizes pack together (and crystal structures too.)

To see that in action mix .5 L pure water and .5 L pure methanol in a 1 L beaker.  You'll have room left over.

Doesn't happen with metals.

Arafelis

Quote from: GA on June 25, 2009, 01:53:51 AM
The shrunk one does look thicker.  It looks like the edges rounded a little.
And the empty space is where the electrons repel each other.  If you actually compressed something enough so that that space shruck, the object would immediately explode in a fit of static electrical potential.  Or make a fusion bomb, if you made it dense enough and were using the right metal.  (Looking at you, Lithium-6.)

No, I didn't mean molecular space.  I forget the metallic composition, but quarters are composed of two layers of material.  The material near that bond can be compressed, which I assumed was because there is actually unfilled space either in one layer (probably the inner one) or at the point of the bond.

Or so my teenage attempts at mad science lead me to believe.  I did not, at the time, use particularly extensive rigour.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Three layers. I already said what metals; nickel and copper. There is no "empty space" inside. You make me want to cry.

Cainad (dec.)

This thread makes me want to cut some more pennies in half with tin snips.

It's art, you see. Because I'm pretty sure it's illegal. Therefore I am edgy and artistic.

Template

The quarters puff up like pillows.  I saw an edge-on pic once.

fomenter

dont spoil the fun, they shrink when the aether is squeezed out of them..
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: fomenter on June 25, 2009, 03:30:17 AM
dont spoil the fun, they shrink when the aether is squeezed out of them..

:lulz: