News:

The characteristic feature of the loser is to bemoan, in general terms, mankind's flaws, biases, contradictions and irrationality-without exploiting them for fun and profit

Main Menu

How to Shrink a Quarter WITH SCIENCE!

Started by Iason Ouabache, June 23, 2009, 10:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Although I saw some cool blacksmithing at Pennsic last year where they were using the 'damascus' method to make knives etc out of old steel cables and chainsaw chains.

SDunno about their madjicakl durability, but it was cool as hell to watch and play with.

Also, a piece of cable that ends in a forged, sharp blade.

W00T Steel indeed.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Richter

Quote from: Requia on July 01, 2009, 10:49:31 PM
Quote from: Richter on July 01, 2009, 01:53:40 PM
Damascus (technique) doesn't neceessaily mean steel is GOOD, it just means it's layered.  If you have some semi crappy, and some good steel, folding and welding them together enough will give you a cutting edge covered by striations of good/  bad steel.  In theory, the bad flakes off with use, exposing more good, giving good, lasting cutting performance.  The alternating layers and "grains" to the steel also (in theory) give it stength like metalic plywood.

What you're describing isn't true (often called wootz) damascus, it just looks like damascus and is used to fool the gullible.  Usually referred to as welded damascus.  It looks awesome, and can be a perfectly good blade (it produces a mid carbon steel which is what you usually want),

Its not made from layers of good and bad steel either, its made from layers of high carbon and low carbon steel.  Which are both good, but for different reasons (low carbon is stronger, high carbon is harder).

Those alternating layers do not actually give any bonus of strength either, the layers melt together in the forging process to form a normal (if cool looking) steel.  Though the folding process will improve on poor quality steel by forcing out impurities (which is why the Katana uses a folding method to forge, Japanese iron is really shitty).

Modern mall sword fake damascus is usually not welded damascus either, they just take stainless steel and laser etch it to make it look like damascus.

Low carbon steel isn't "stronger" as such.  While it is not hard enough to hold and edge well, it CAN bend without cracking, good for structural pieces, less so for cutting.  High carbon steel, as you said, IS harder, but subsequently more brittle.  Both kinds of steel can be hardened and softened by different applications of heat, but the carbon contant of the steel (aside from alloys) determining how ultimately hard it can get. 

Using different high vs. low carbon for the cutting edge of a tool vs. the spine / back had the purpose of both conserving rare high quality steel (Technique used by both the Japanese and the Norse, among others), and had the bonus of giving a more flexible spine.  This is different from Damascus.  Which are we talking about?

The Damascus steel doing the same, we have both come out and said.  It's impossible to communicate clearly sometimes, read more carefully before you fly around calling people wrong.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Requia ☣

Quote from: Richter on July 02, 2009, 12:18:28 AM

Low carbon steel isn't "stronger" as such.  While it is not hard enough to hold and edge well, it CAN bend without cracking, good for structural pieces, less so for cutting.  High carbon steel, as you said, IS harder, but subsequently more brittle.  Both kinds of steel can be hardened and softened by different applications of heat, but the carbon contant of the steel (aside from alloys) determining how ultimately hard it can get. 

Using different high vs. low carbon for the cutting edge of a tool vs. the spine / back had the purpose of both conserving rare high quality steel (Technique used by both the Japanese and the Norse, among others), and had the bonus of giving a more flexible spine.  This is different from Damascus.  Which are we talking about?

The Damascus steel doing the same, we have both come out and said.  It's impossible to communicate clearly sometimes, read more carefully before you fly around calling people wrong.

I'm not as certain on this part, but I'm pretty sure the Japanese get the different edge/spine properties by tempering the edge and not the spine.  Norse swords I know jack about.

Damascus steel, both wootz and welded forms, rely on a combination of low and high carbon steel, which is why I brought it up.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Richter

They did both in some versions, laminating several different steels together, then differentialy heat treating the edge.

http://www.tf.uni-kiel.de/matwis/amat/def_en/articles/steel_collector/japanese_sword.html
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

The Good Reverend Roger

I STILL WANT THE QUARTER SHRINKING MACHINE!  I NEED IT!
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Requia ☣

Steal an MRI, I bet you could adapt it to do this.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Richter

Quote from: Richter on July 01, 2009, 01:56:19 PM
10 miles of power lines and the BIGGEST damn capacitors you can find.  The hugeass electric company ones.  Get lots. 

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Richter on July 03, 2009, 03:41:18 AM
10 miles of power lines and the BIGGEST damn capacitors you can find.  The hugeass electric company ones.  Get lots. 

National Grid has them?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Richter

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 03, 2009, 07:03:47 AM
Quote from: Richter on July 03, 2009, 03:41:18 AM

National Grid has them?

Yup.  Pretty sure some of the big honkers at the electrical sub - stations are the item in question.  They must replace them off and on.  If not you can always rig an asston of more commmonly available ones.

I'm pretty sure you'd have fun with one of these too
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bclee/lens.html

Reginald Ret

Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Payne

Quote from: fomenter on June 25, 2009, 03:30:17 AM
dont spoil the fun, they shrink when the aether is squeezed out of them..

:potd: