Magic: Who thinks they can do it, and why otherwise intelligent people buy it.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, December 29, 2009, 08:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on January 15, 2010, 02:15:30 AM
Quote from: BabylonHoruv on January 15, 2010, 12:27:13 AM
Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on January 15, 2010, 12:13:55 AM
Quote from: BabylonHoruv on January 14, 2010, 11:43:55 PM
Quote from: Mistress Freeky on January 14, 2010, 04:27:57 PM
This thread needs at least one whole page of  :barstool:

Like I was trying to explain last time I argued magic the barstool is actually an arguement FOR funny hats.

In the parable of the barstool the fact that the barstool is actually, truly, mostly space doesn't matter, what matters is the fact that if you are hit with it, it hurts.

The fact that the laws and assumptions regarding magic may be complete bullshit doesn't change the fact that it works (in some cases) and it works better if you accept those rules and laws.  So the barstool says, the funny hats and the robes may be bullshit, but they still hurt if you get hit in the head with them.

wow. way to miss the point as completely as anyone I've ever seen. for your analogy to work, the funny hats and the robes would have to hurt ME solely because YOU believed they would.

Nope.  The barstool doesn't hurt you because I believe it will.  It hurts you because it's a barstool.

what hurts me, right now, is having given 30 seconds of my life to both reading and responding to your abject idiocy.

Poof!  Maqghiquealism accomplished.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Richter

Quote from: MMIX on January 15, 2010, 01:37:59 AM
Quote from: Nasturtiums on January 15, 2010, 01:36:07 AM
Quote from: MMIX on January 15, 2010, 01:33:16 AM
Quote from: BabylonHoruv on January 15, 2010, 12:42:47 AM
oh, and dildoes.

if dildos hurt you're doing it wrong . . .

But sometimes it can hurt so good.

good point . . .

Quote from: Richter on October 03, 2008, 12:39:13 AM
The Dildoes of Nigel

Oft mentioned in the same regard as the Iron Maiden of Nuremberg or the Rack of the White Tower, the Dildoes of Nigel hailed from one of the Inquisition's more terrifying periods.  Mentioned only in scribbles at the back of the first edition Maleus Maleficarum, and often dismissed as a perverted scribes joke, the horrid truth is that these dildoes DID exist.

Excerpt as such:

"At such time that the nobility of ::obscured:: province began to accuse each other of heresy and witchcraft for their own profit, an Inquisitor was dispatched to discover the truth of the matter. 
     A  suspect was brought before the court and asked to confess their heretical belief and practice.  When refusing, they would be foretold that they would suffer torture to extract the truth, and the dildoes would be shown unto them.  At the merest sight of these implements both the stoic and the frail, be they woman or man, confessed, preferring flames at the stake to torment upon the dildoes.  This is moft fortunate, for in such time as elapsed since their last employment, that no agent of the inquisition knew how for to use them in the extraction of truth. 
     So terrible were they to the very mind of the  sufpect, that even a doughty old gentle, renowned for deed on the field of war and at the hunt, believed to be hearty and tough in every way, did faint dead away at their sight.  He was revived with a draught of strong vinegar,and promptly made his confession.  He met death at the stake gladly, for the sight had caused him develop a moft horrible prolapfe of the bowelf.
     it should be recorded that in dimension, thee Dildoes were a score and three ::unit of measure obscured: in length, and five ::unit ofmeasure obscured:: about the circumference.
May Lord God have mercy upon they who created and knew them!"

::Diagram obscured by varicoloredstain::
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Richter on January 15, 2010, 04:50:38 AM
Quote from: MMIX on January 15, 2010, 01:37:59 AM
Quote from: Nasturtiums on January 15, 2010, 01:36:07 AM
Quote from: MMIX on January 15, 2010, 01:33:16 AM
Quote from: BabylonHoruv on January 15, 2010, 12:42:47 AM
oh, and dildoes.

if dildos hurt you're doing it wrong . . .

But sometimes it can hurt so good.

good point . . .

Quote from: Richter on October 03, 2008, 12:39:13 AM
The Dildoes of Nigel

Oft mentioned in the same regard as the Iron Maiden of Nuremberg or the Rack of the White Tower, the Dildoes of Nigel hailed from one of the Inquisition's more terrifying periods.  Mentioned only in scribbles at the back of the first edition Maleus Maleficarum, and often dismissed as a perverted scribes joke, the horrid truth is that these dildoes DID exist.

Excerpt as such:

"At such time that the nobility of ::obscured:: province began to accuse each other of heresy and witchcraft for their own profit, an Inquisitor was dispatched to discover the truth of the matter. 
     A  suspect was brought before the court and asked to confess their heretical belief and practice.  When refusing, they would be foretold that they would suffer torture to extract the truth, and the dildoes would be shown unto them.  At the merest sight of these implements both the stoic and the frail, be they woman or man, confessed, preferring flames at the stake to torment upon the dildoes.  This is moft fortunate, for in such time as elapsed since their last employment, that no agent of the inquisition knew how for to use them in the extraction of truth. 
     So terrible were they to the very mind of the  sufpect, that even a doughty old gentle, renowned for deed on the field of war and at the hunt, believed to be hearty and tough in every way, did faint dead away at their sight.  He was revived with a draught of strong vinegar,and promptly made his confession.  He met death at the stake gladly, for the sight had caused him develop a moft horrible prolapfe of the bowelf.
     it should be recorded that in dimension, thee Dildoes were a score and three ::unit of measure obscured: in length, and five ::unit ofmeasure obscured:: about the circumference.
May Lord God have mercy upon they who created and knew them!"

::Diagram obscured by varicoloredstain::

The thread just started getting good...  :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bu🤠ns

BabylonHoruv

You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Johnny

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Bu🤠ns

Epimetheus

POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Burns on January 15, 2010, 12:18:53 AM
Man, it's like trying to tell children to stop picking their nose.

I think the problem is no one did say "Get your finger out of your damn nose" and some picked put their brains.....

Too late to fix the problem now!

Dysfunctional Cunt

Damn, now the whole fucking thread is NSFW with the flashing dildoes....

They already thought I was a twisted bitter lesbian....

Epimetheus

Quote from: Khara on January 15, 2010, 10:18:34 PM

Hey, yeah, wtf? NSFW smileys?
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Khara on January 15, 2010, 10:18:34 PM

Yeah but they're the shiny black pvc bondage kind.