News:

If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

Main Menu

BritSpags, Explain your fucked up language

Started by Iason Ouabache, January 23, 2010, 11:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jean-Lustine d'Hadamard

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on January 23, 2010, 11:53:17 PMRah rah rah rah rah
Up yours.

It's mathematics. Count them. More than one. "Sport" section of the news, like the "weather" section or "business" section.

"Football" is reserved for the sport that involves a ball being handled predominantly with the foot.

It is a "biscuit". You fuckers can learn to use "scone". Anything called "cookie" is bound to be some over-sized American baked monstrosity. "Trunks" are for swimming and elephants. "Lift" is two syllables shorter, and a "faucett" is something from Charlie's Angles, not a bathroom appliance. Oh yeah, and "bathroom": they tend to be a room with a bath (or shower) around here; kick the euphemisms and call it a "toilet" or a "loo" or a "crapper".

As for "fanny" (vulva) and "fag" (cigarette) and "faggot" (meat blobs in gravy), I'll just have to assume you guys are just jealous at being unable to enjoy these simple pleasures. Like getting "pissed".

Stay the fuck away from our "U"s.
"But one intelligence source we know suggests that an injection of a tiny amount of pure nicotine in the anus has the result of killing someone without leaving a mark. We're still trying to get to the bottom of this." --- Robert Eringer, On Marilyn, the Illuminati, and the Father of Our Country, The Investigator, 14 February 2009

Triple Zero

so it's "weather" because the long form is weathematter?

and busimatness?

and biscematuit?

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

BluTakDuck

No...but neither is it mathematic. It's the buggering about with numbers as a section of it's own that is called mathematics, which is shortened down to maths, because it's still a group of ways to molest numbers. To say "I am doing lots of Math" is the same as saying "I am reading lots of book"
</sarcasm>

Reginald Ret

Quote from: BluTakDuck on January 24, 2010, 11:47:33 PM
No...but neither is it mathematic. It's the buggering about with numbers as a section of it's own that is called mathematics, which is shortened down to maths, because it's still a group of ways to molest numbers. To say "I am doing lots of Math" is the same as saying "I am reading lots of book"
You never read lots of book?
damn that tickles me.
cant stop snickering.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Triple Zero

It's true, usually I don't. But there was this one time I didn't pay attention and then I accidentally lots of book.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: BluTakDuck on January 24, 2010, 11:47:33 PM

Plurals of abstract nouns get weird.  Like, if you're at a fancy dinner and they have a bunch of those little cheddar cheese cubes on toothpicks, you don't say "Look at all those cheeses!".  But if they have a mix of cheddar cubes, swiss cubes, bleu ... blobs?, pepper jack, gorgonzola - a dozen different kinds of cheese, you can say "Look at all those cheeses!", referring to the different kinds of cheese.  So if someone says they're studying maths, they better be working on multiple subfields of mathematics.  If they're just cramming for a calc test, they're studying math.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Suu

Also, your slang? Fuck it.

Fuck your bloody old manky excuse for the English language. Our slang is much superior. In a way that only someone with access to routine dental care could understand.

And don't give me the old, "Well if it wasn't for us, you wouldn't exist."

Bullshit. Spain started us and France owned more of us than you ninnies could ever have controlled which your retarded failing empire spanning the globe and all, and we still kicked your asses clear across the Atlantic TWICE and then saved it, another twice. You couldn't hold onto our swampy ass East Coast if your paltry lives depended on it. If we still really mattered, that 4 seats that my mother's ancestral family holds in the House of Lords would be mine for the taking, but it doesn't work like that. So fuck you.

I swear the only decent thing about the British Empire is the invention of gin and tonics.

And, why the control of Northern Ireland, REALLY?! It's not like Belfast ever built a ship capable of crossing the Atlantic and not sinking at the first sign of an iceberg or U-boat. All you ever did was persecute that poor island and it's saffron-wearing inhabitants. Fuck you, and fuck Henry VIII for starting it.

Also, pudding is NOT sausage. EVER. Nor should it contain blood. :vom:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Quote from: BluTakDuck on January 24, 2010, 10:31:22 PM
It's English. We invented it. We can do what we want, when we want. . If you want to change it all and add random zed's in there because you think it makes you from the future or something, by all means, be our guest. But then it's not English, it's...i don't know. Make up your own name for it. I don't know why you'd want to speak English anyway. You felt the need to kill us and send us back where we came from, why not abandon the language of the King you didn't want? YOU MAKE NO SENSE!

English was invented because the British Isles could never hold their own identity, so it's a pissing match of Germanic, Gael, French, Latin, and Norse dialects. Pretty much every culture that decided to invade left us a few nouns and verbs and some pissant grammatical rule that doesn't exist anywhere else.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Payne

Quote from: Suu on January 25, 2010, 07:44:36 PM
It's English. We invented it. We can do what we want, when we want. . If you want to change it all and add random zed's in there because you think it makes you from the future or something, by all means, be our guest. But then it's not English, it's...i don't know. Make up your own name for it. I don't know why you'd want to speak English anyway. You felt the need to kill us and send us back where we came from, why not abandon the language of the King you didn't want? YOU MAKE NO SENSE!

English was invented because the British Isles could never hold their own identity, so it's a pissing match of Germanic, Gael, French, Latin, and Norse dialects. Pretty much every culture that decided to invade left us a few nouns and verbs and some pissant grammatical rule that doesn't exist anywhere else.

Most of the rest from places we invaded ourselves.

Suu

Quote from: Payne on January 25, 2010, 07:48:50 PM

No. I don't think there's any Aboriginal or Indian words anywhere....Admit it. The language is shit. It's okay really...I agree with you and I'm a native speaker.

Payne

Quote from: Suu on January 25, 2010, 07:50:55 PM
Quote from: Payne on January 25, 2010, 07:48:50 PM

No. I don't think there's any Aboriginal or Indian words anywhere....Admit it. The language is shit. It's okay really...I agree with you and I'm a native speaker.

Plenty of Indian words in English. Juggernaut, Avatar, Raj, Karma and Nirvana to name a few.

Elder Iptuous

from barenaked ladies "crazy alphabet song"
Okay, when you say zed for the benefit of our American friends
You really mean Z, right?
No, I mean zed, like, like Zed Zed Top
Zed Zed Top?

Yeah, you know the guys with the big long beards
Well, except the guy whose name is Beard, he has a mustache
I always thought that was interesting

Jenne

...so, Australians and New Zealanders don't have this same linguistic/dialect contention?

I find that somewhat hard to believe, though the two cultures as a whole seem to follow UK politics and celebrities/tabloids more closely.

The Good Reverend Roger

The English invented the language, and refuse to use it.

"Blagging" is not a word.  "Robbing" is a word.

England needs to get it's shit together, or I'm going to write a letter to The Times.  Not kidding.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Rumckle

We speak pretty much the same English as the UK, though with less "innit" and "bollocks"
It's not trolling, it's just satire.