News:

Testimonial: "This board is everything that's fucking wrong with the internet"

Main Menu

An Error Has Occurred!

Started by ~, February 05, 2010, 12:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Requia ☣

humans and half elves are good at more or less anything, halflings are good at rogue too.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

NO SLANKET ITS A TRAP

DONT DO IT. DONT BECOME ONE OF THEM

ThatGreenGentleman

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 05, 2010, 06:43:22 PM
Quote from: Horrendous Foreign Love Stoat on February 05, 2010, 03:42:03 PM
Quoteokay you arrive at a dungeon.

there is a door.

it is closed but not locked.

WHAT DO YOU DO?!?!?!!!

>>> _

I knock on the door.

~Knock Knock.~

A VERY DRAGONNY SOUNDING VOICE SAYS

HELLOOOOOOOOO? IT IS OPEN, COME RIGHT IN!

WHAT OH WHAT DO YOU DO?

>>>_

I dress up like a debt collector, say "It's the debt collector, so get your moneys out betches!" and walk right in.
As a gentleman, it is my duty to wear top-hats.

Triple Zero

THE DRAGON EATS YOU ALL!!!!

YOU ALL DEAD

WHAT DO YOU DO?

>>> _
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Become a powerful lich and eat a grue. Take another shit on the dragon's doorstep. Then amass a powerful undead army. Train them to scale the dragon's fortress and shit down his chimney.

Freeky

Annabelle: For a rogue, human is good because they get an extra 'feat' which is like a skill or a special trick, or extra training in a particular area, and they get a bonus to any stat. So is elf because they get a racial bonus to their Dexterity (which is good for your armor class, which is how hard it is to hit you) and to Intelligence, which gives you more 'skills'. More details on that later. Halflings are also good choices, for the bonus to Dex, and also they get a bonus to their Charisma, which is very useful in situations where you want to bluff or negotiate yourself out of a situation.

Basically, any race is good for any class, so if you want to go solely on what bonuses a race gets, look for ones that boost Dexterity first and foremost, and beyond that it depends what you want to do with your character.

Cain

Also, unless the rules changed for Pathfinder, elves get a full search check even while moving at full speed, and can use longswords and longbows without having to take feats for those weapons (though quite frankly, if you don't take weapon finesse as a rogue, WAYSA?).  The former is incredibly useful, and the second can give them an extra bit of potency, at least with the longbow.

Personally, I think halflings are overrated as rogues.  Elves or humans are the way to go.

Freeky

Nah, it got switched out for Elven Magic, which gives them a +2 racial bonus to caster level checks, and also a +2 to Spellcraft checks for identifying magic items.

Cain

Ah, that sucks then.

Cain,
clearly not up on Pathfinder.

Freeky

Hey, if we're going to play on google wave, I'ma need an invite. Or something. :?

Quote from: Cain on February 06, 2010, 04:25:14 PM
Personally, I think halflings are overrated as rogues.  Elves or humans are the way to go.

OR Goblins. Ever see a level 1 character with a +14 to hide?

I didn't see goblins as a choice. What about aging? Humans seem to have comparably low lifespans. How much does that affect things?

I was just making a non sequitur about classes that make good rogues. You can play a lot of the races out of the monster manual, and there are rules for how to do so, but its always at the discretion of the DM.