News:

Doing everything exactly opposite from "The Mainstream" is the same thing as doing everything exactly like "The Mainstream."  You're still using What Everyone Else is Doing as your primary point of reference.

Main Menu

ITT - COMIC BOOK NERDS ONLY

Started by E.O.T., February 11, 2010, 07:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.O.T.

Quote from: Faust on November 07, 2010, 02:36:36 AM
Ohh Looks interesting, I must give it a look.

Madame Xanadu is ending on the next issue. I'm heartbroken.

REALLY!!

I'm bummed too, matt wagner was just letting loose!! i wanna find him, buy him a drink, and explain why it's a mistake to throw away zorro and madame xanadu over this green hornet business!!
"a good fight justifies any cause"

Faust

Quote from: E.O.T. on November 07, 2010, 04:11:15 AM
Quote from: Faust on November 07, 2010, 02:36:36 AM
Ohh Looks interesting, I must give it a look.

Madame Xanadu is ending on the next issue. I'm heartbroken.

REALLY!!

I'm bummed too, matt wagner was just letting loose!! i wanna find him, buy him a drink, and explain why it's a mistake to throw away zorro and madame xanadu over this green hornet business!!

Bleeding cool reported the reason for it being axed is that DC want all the characters that started in DC and went to Vertigo to return. I think its a double edged thing, while I will enjoy the return of swamp thing, killing MX (best new series of 2009 according to some), is just a spiteful stupid move.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Faust

I just finished the six part firstwave comic that ended this month.
Its excellent, Batman as this green impressionable character was a little startling at first but he really played off well against Doc Savage and the spirit. Lots of nostalgic futurism going on.

Though I haven't gotten to read incognito yet I was reading Brubaker's Streets of Gotham, it was fucking excellent barring one or two filler issues.

Disco Pickle

I picked up some back issues of X-Factor at an antique store.  They were cheap and in surprisingly good condition. 

I had forgotten just how good the Inferno and Muir Island Saga was.  Going to go pick up their crossover issues at my local shop this week.

replacing a 15 year collection worth of comics is expensive, but the good part is I get to rediscover all of the stories I loved as a wee lad.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

BadBeast

Just got the graphic novel of Garth Ennis's "303". Fucking good tale. Loved it.   
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

BadBeast

"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"

Disco Pickle

Some asshole green lighted a sequel to Ghost Rider, completing the on-screen rape of a character I've loved since I was a wee lad.

Spiderman is now a half black half spanish guy in the Ultimate line, bringing out all of the closet racist comic book collectors on the interbutts.  Who knew there were so damn many of them?

I finally caught Joss Whedon's animated Astonishing X-Men series on Netflix.  Story was ok but what I really came away with is that I really, REALLY hate "motion comic" style animation. 

I also caught the Warren Ellis Iron Man series Extremis and the writing on it was fantastic.  Really good story.  So good I hardly bitched at all under my breath at just how fucking ugly the animation was.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Faust

Damn, I didn't even know they had made a motion comic of astonishing.

I finished Garth Ennis's run on Hellblazer last night. Every book was excellent. Better work then preacher in my opinion, a lot less slapstick anyway.

BadBeast

I remember reading Ennis' first ever strip, 'Troubled Souls' when it first came out in Fleetway's  'Crisis' back in  ''89, and thinking he was going to go a long way.  At the time, I think Crisis was only running two stories at a time, the other being Pat Mills' "Third World War". But Ennis has been consistently churning out work of exceptional quality for the last 22 years. He even had two controversial titles (True Faith, and Skins) withdrawn / cancelled by Robert Maxwell personally. (Fleetway's then owner)  I got his "303" for about a quid a couple of weeks ago, in a Tat shop.

Faust

I haven't read any of the titles you listed nor was I aware of their existence but I will be getting my hands on them as soon as possible