News:

News:  0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765 10946 17711 28657, motherfuckers.

Main Menu

Curiousity Poll: Race.

Started by Ur1el, March 05, 2010, 04:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mangrove

Dok Howl - your Cornish ancestry also includes:

Tin mining
The Cornish Pasty (rhymes with 'nasty' not 'tasty)
The almost entirely obsolete Cornish language
General Celtic spaggotry
Inclusion in Arthurian mythology (Tintagel - alleged location of King Arthur's conception)
Land's End
Stone Circles & assorted monoliths
Cream & ice cream

I used to live in Devon, the adjoining county and so spent a lot of time near & in Cornwall.

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

rygD

:rbtg:

Quote from: rygD on March 07, 2007, 02:53:03 PM
...nuke Iraq and give it to the Jews...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Juana

I would argue that it's a cultural/religious identity, but not a race.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Demon Sheep on March 09, 2010, 10:52:10 PM
I would argue that it's a cultural/religious identity, but not a race.

It's both. Non-religious Jews are still Jews, by birth. It might not be a race, depending on how you define race.

Personally, I think it's a race, as is Mormonism.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Telarus

As I pointed out, it's all 3.

She is Jewish. ->

A) She practices the Jewish religion.

B) She has a Jewish Mother (this one is the cultural/heritage issue. in Judaism, if yur mom's not a jew, your not a jew. it's the 'tribes' thing).

C) She has Jewish Ancestry (DNA, facial proportions/etc).

Madonna is arguably A), def not B) or C). Someone could be all three.

I can show you a tribe of very dark skinned people from africa that match C), but not necessarily A) or B).

See how the lack of context renders "She is Jewish" meaningless?
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

AFK

I'm a 500m short track.

Ohno, see what I did there?

And there? 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Salty

Huh. Here I was thinking you were a drag.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

AFK

Nah, I gave up cross-training a long time ago. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cramulus

JackALope2323

Nast

If I were to be burnt to death in a fire, only the non-French Canadian part of me would perish and the rest would forever stalk the earth to annoy people.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

LMNO

Nigel, wouldn't "heritage" mean "the social traditions in which you were raised"?

And, if you were someone who was raised in a way that did not teach the same behaviors, attitudes, and biases of the majority of your historical ancestors (through blood or through culture), would that mean that you actually don't have any heritage to speak of?

I mean, I'm sure I could trace my roots and learn the cultural traditions of my family and genetic forebearers, but I wouldn't consider those traditions part of my heritage.

Cain

Quote from: Mangrove on March 09, 2010, 10:19:32 PM
Dok Howl - your Cornish ancestry also includes:

Tin mining
The Cornish Pasty (rhymes with 'nasty' not 'tasty)
The almost entirely obsolete Cornish language
General Celtic spaggotry
Inclusion in Arthurian mythology (Tintagel - alleged location of King Arthur's conception)
Land's End
Stone Circles & assorted monoliths
Cream & ice cream

I used to live in Devon, the adjoining county and so spent a lot of time near & in Cornwall.

Also ineffective terrorism.

Where in Devon were you?  Since I'm in Dorset, I probably know it, at least by name.