News:

Testimonial: "None of you seem aware of quite how bad you are. I mean I'm pretty outspoken on how bad the internet has gotten, but this is up there with the worst."

Main Menu

Science shows that hippies are morons

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, March 17, 2010, 02:36:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Remington on March 17, 2010, 03:49:27 PM
Last Christmas, we had a bit of a family reunion in Saskatchewan. During Christmas dinner, the topic drifted somehow to the topic of the H1N1 vaccine. My uncle started shooting his mouth off about how stupid it was to put those kind of "toxins" in your body when nobody really knows what they are, etc... He's well known for being a conspiracy theorist, and lately he hasn't been all that mentally stable.

It was bad enough, but here's the thing: my uncle was sitting directly across the table from my aunt.

Who is a public health nurse.

It took weeks to clean the blood off the walls.

That's victory, right there.
Molon Lube

Remington

Did I mention that she had recently had a 1-yearold patient of hers die of totally preventable strep throat?

Solely because the kid's parents were anti-vax retards?

Yeah, she was pissed.
Is it plugged in?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Remington on March 17, 2010, 03:51:57 PM
Did I mention that she had recently had a 1-yearold patient of hers die of totally preventable strep throat?

There's a vax for strep throat?   :?
Molon Lube

Remington

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 17, 2010, 03:52:38 PM

I seem to remember her saying it was strep throat, although I'm not 100% sure.
Is it plugged in?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Remington on March 17, 2010, 03:54:33 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 17, 2010, 03:52:38 PM

I seem to remember her saying it was strep throat, although I'm not 100% sure.

Think you might be confused.  Strep is a bacteria, not a virus.

I might be totally wrong about the vax thing, though.  I'm not that kind of Doktor.
Molon Lube

Cain

Anti-vax stupidity normally bleeds over into general medical stupidity anyway, so even if there wasn't a vaccination involved, its still entirely possible they did something dumb, like aromatherapy, in order to "cure" the kid.

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

there are SOME vaccines that you dont need unless you are already unhealthy...like flu

MMIX

Iatrogenic disease kills just as efficiently as any other . . .
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on March 17, 2010, 03:56:56 PM
Anti-vax stupidity normally bleeds over into general medical stupidity anyway, so even if there wasn't a vaccination involved, its still entirely possible they did something dumb, like aromatherapy, in order to "cure" the kid.

This.

Also, I drink homemade carrot juice which is, of course, not pasteurized. But I drink it immediately after making it. I've had raw milk; I used to milk the cow it came from. I'd love to have goats for milk. The difference is that these are things I'm handling and storing myself, and are not sitting on a cooler shelf for any length of time for bacteria to multiply in them.

What's really funny is that a lot of these people are the same dumbfucks who, ten years ago, didn't drink milk because it's "not natural" for adults. Remember when milk allergy/intolerance was all the rage? Frankly, I have a lot more tolerance for that viewpoint because at least it has, you know, some scientific validity.

I think the problem with a lot of hippies is that they only pay attention to documents (I'm not going to go so far as to call it research) that support what they want to believe, whether those documents are supported by (non-anecdotal) evidence or not.

Like the anti-vaccers. They still choose to believe, even though the link between vaccination and autism has been disproved so hard Jenny McCarthy's head is still spinning from the bitch slap.

There are still people who believe that aluminum salt in anti-perspirant causes Alzheimer's, even though that theory was disproven almost as fast as it was made.

Then there's naturopathy and the current (multibillion-dollar industry) "gluten allergy" craze... well, 'nuff said.

Fucking hippies  live in a la-la land where everything bad is avoidable through believing hard enough in convenient lies.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on March 17, 2010, 04:47:29 PM
What's really funny is that a lot of these people are the same dumbfucks who, ten years ago, didn't drink milk because it's "not natural" for adults.

I've had a doctor tell me that.   :?

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Then there's naturopathy and the current (multibillion-dollar industry) "gluten allergy" craze... well, 'nuff said.

Oh, goddammit.  My aunt really DOES have a problem with Gluten, so I never hear the end of this shit from my mother, who is ALL ABOUT every medical fad that comes down the line (and she's a goddamn trained scientist).  Even as a teenager, I have never been rude to my mother in my life, but I finally blew up when she interrupted some work I was doing to tell me what "Dr Oz" just said about whatever the hell he was babbling about this week.

I can't stand that shit.  Serious as hell.  It's fucking worse than when she was a devotee of John Edwards, and wouldn't listen to her training, me, my father, or anyone else who pointed out his rather clumsy cold reading technique.

What kills me is that she's a smart person, who in this one respect acts dumb.
Molon Lube

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cain on March 17, 2010, 03:56:56 PM

This.

Also, I drink homemade carrot juice which is, of course, not pasteurized. But I drink it immediately after making it. I've had raw milk; I used to milk the cow it came from. I'd love to have goats for milk. The difference is that these are things I'm handling and storing myself, and are not sitting on a cooler shelf for any length of time for bacteria to multiply in them.

What's really funny is that a lot of these people are the same dumbfucks who, ten years ago, didn't drink milk because it's "not natural" for adults. Remember when milk allergy/intolerance was all the rage? Frankly, I have a lot more tolerance for that viewpoint because at least it has, you know, some scientific validity.

I think the problem with a lot of hippies is that they only pay attention to documents (I'm not going to go so far as to call it research) that support what they want to believe, whether those documents are supported by (non-anecdotal) evidence or not.

Like the anti-vaccers. They still choose to believe, even though the link between vaccination and autism has been disproved so hard Jenny McCarthy's head is still spinning from the bitch slap.

There are still people who believe that aluminum salt in anti-perspirant causes Alzheimer's, even though that theory was disproven almost as fast as it was made.

Fucking hippies  live in a la-la land where everything bad is avoidable through believing hard enough in convenient lies.

Most anti-vacc people I've interacted with are conservatives and often fundamentalists. The pro-natural group seem to be Liberals around here, more than Hippies specifically ... the Hippies refuse to shop at Whole Foods and instead want to shop at the little Mom and Pop stores that sell organic toilet paper and E-coli added milk (with the putrid green cap so you can be sure to get the right one!)    :lulz:

Humans almost always seem willing to accept the beliefs that fit their narrative. If their narrative is that the EVIL PEOPLE are gonna destroy our Life/Country/Planet  with vaccines, unnatural milk, fluoride, Universal Healthcare, Oil, Jeebus, Marijuana, Alcohol, Homosexuals, Islamofascists, or the Xists... then they'll swallow wholesale the data that fits their narrative and ignore the rest of the data.

It's not Hippies, its humans, humans stuck in their poor little Black Iron Prisons, peeking through bars that block their view of anything except the reality they believe in.

PS - I may get called a Hippie, but I'm not THAT kind of hippie ;-)
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 17, 2010, 04:58:00 PM
What's really funny is that a lot of these people are the same dumbfucks who, ten years ago, didn't drink milk because it's "not natural" for adults.

It's also not "natural" to grind wheat into flour to make bread, or to, you know, cook anything.

Of course, people who come from regions where their ancestors have been doing it for a long time seem to have adapted.

I'm not actually against raw milk. I am a pretty big fan of raw foods and the beneficial bacteria (and in milk's case, white blood cells) therein. But I've read a lot of the pro-raw-milk propaganda (almost entirely written by dairy farmers who sell raw milk, BTW) and tried to find any non-anecdotal "I knew a guy" data to support it, and couldn't. Even the hippie farmers (real hippies, not the effete, diluted hippie-lifestyle trust fund babies of today) who were my best friend's parents knew to heat any milk they weren't using right away so it could be safely stored in the fridge. When I was a kid, raw milk was banned in stores because a lot of kids got sick from it. It has some benefits (which can be gotten fairly easily by eating other foods) but it's hardly a miracle product and there's nothing wrong with pasteurized milk, at all, so voluntarily seeking out the increased risks of raw milk for no particular benefit is just another example of stupidity combined with wishful thinking.

People who cant do a simple cost/benefit analysis exasperate the shit out of me.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 17, 2010, 05:02:18 PM

Oh, goddammit.  My aunt really DOES have a problem with Gluten, so I never hear the end of this shit from my mother, who is ALL ABOUT every medical fad that comes down the line (and she's a goddamn trained scientist).  Even as a teenager, I have never been rude to my mother in my life, but I finally blew up when she interrupted some work I was doing to tell me what "Dr Oz" just said about whatever the hell he was babbling about this week.

I can't stand that shit.  Serious as hell.  It's fucking worse than when she was a devotee of John Edwards, and wouldn't listen to her training, me, my father, or anyone else who pointed out his rather clumsy cold reading technique.

What kills me is that she's a smart person, who in this one respect acts dumb.

Yeah, I have a friend with Celiac disease, which will kill him if he eats wheat.

And my mom actually IS lactose intolerant, badly.

What I have a problem with is the health fad industry that springs up around this crap.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on March 17, 2010, 05:09:48 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 17, 2010, 04:58:00 PM

It's also not "natural" to grind wheat into flour to make bread, or to, you know, cook anything.

Of course, people who come from regions where their ancestors have been doing it for a long time seem to have adapted.

This doctor didn't tell me milk (in general) was particularly BAD for you, just unnecessary, adults having different dietary requirements than infants, and that some adults have problems with lactose.

So I get my calcium and vitamin D from pills.  Because I'm all science fictiony.  pillspillspills.

Molon Lube